Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

please help

jjones24
January 4th, 2006, 10:41 PM
i have a 4 year old dog, that lately has started to pee in the house while we sleep, normally, he doesn't have a problem and he doesn't have a problem during the day,when he is crated. it is always in the spot. ialways take him out to go pee around 10 and get up at 5 so he can hold it for that long. anyone got any ideas why.

babyrocky1
January 4th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I dont now why, but my dog did that about that age, only in one spot like you said, I ended up covering the spot with a plastic table cloth, and he didnt do it anymore, hey its worth a try. LOL He hasnt done that in at least two years. I also restricted his movements during the night, I put a gate up so he couldn't go downstairs, he actually had two possible spots, one outside the kitchen and one outside the bathroomm so I put the plstic outside the bathroom and the gate up so he couldnt get to the kitchen, oh and you have to try to get rid of the scent, that will also draw him back.

Bushfire2000
January 4th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Is he neutered? You keep him crated during the day? Maybe he needs to be crated at night too? I don't like to think of a dog being shut up for too long but if you have given him ample opportunity to pee outside then you could try crating him at night. I find that if I get up at any time during the night, my dogs make a rush for the door wanting out just because I'm awake.

Prin
January 5th, 2006, 12:31 AM
I think he needs a vet for this. Sudden changes in a pet need a vet... Neutered males can also get incontinence from hormone-deficiencies (but it's way more common in females), but it could be many other things too (i.e. a bladder infection among other things).