Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

stinky cat breath!

Okami
January 4th, 2006, 08:09 PM
My cats breath smells aweful and so does his fur (I think it's because of the breath). We recently switched him to organic cat food and now his breath stinks more then before. Even worse he licks his coat right after he eats :( which makes the situation worse. Are there any cat breath mints? Preferably soft chews, he's really spoiled and doesn't touch hard food.

Lucky Rescue
January 4th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I've never known a cat with sweet breath but it shouldn't be that bad.

How old is your cat? Did this terrible breath start recently?

cindyann
January 4th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Often bad breath in a cat or dog is a sign of illness.A check up at your vet would be the 1st step to rule out any serious illness.

mona_b
January 4th, 2006, 10:38 PM
LR,didn't I post something like this a while ago?.....LOL

I called it "butt" breath......:D

As LR asked,did this bad breath just start?

Yes there are breath mints for cats,but they are the hard kind.And they stink to high heaven....LOL

I suggest you unspoil him and get him used to some hard stuff......:D

I would definately have him checked out.This includes his teeth.

Okami
January 5th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Well this didn't start recently his breath has always stunk ever since I got him as a kitten. It may be just me, just noticing how stinky cat breath is :(. I mean I can't really blame the little guys seeing as how their tongue is used to clean EVERYTHING. :o we'll be taking him to take to the vet about a dental plan for him when he gets neutered in a few weeks.

CJ05
January 5th, 2006, 03:24 PM
One of our cats has bad breath and we usually attribute that to his not-so-clean teeth. He usually goes for a teeth cleaning once every year or two.

chico2
January 5th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I don't know about cats not having sweet breath,I kiss mine all the time and snuggle in their fur,they don't smell at all,unless there is a will-not hanging on:D
If the whole cat smells bad a vet-visit is probably needed..

wdawson
January 5th, 2006, 05:14 PM
when my male cat had a urinary tract infection and crystals , his breath was bad and when he was at the vet i noticed the vet checked his breath as part of the exam.

heather331
January 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM
my miss maui has awful breath. i asked the vet about it and he said that her gums looked irritated and that her teeth could use a cleaning, and maybe a few extracted, but he said that it wasnt necsesary.

Okami
January 5th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Hmm I will ask the vet to do a little check up before his surgery. I was sure it wasn't teeth problems as he's only nearing 6 months of age and the last time I asked the vet they told me that dental care isn't an issue until the kitten is a little older.