Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New and need help

Nikita
January 4th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I am looking for help/advice with the following situation -

My husbands cousin and dog lives with us. Since we made this living arrangement, over a year now, his dog has been going to the washroom in the house (mostly pee) and we have given him chance after chance to correct the problem but after a while he goes back to his old routine.
We have given him a deadline of January 13th to find a new home for the dog, no if's, ands or buts - he has been looking for a home for him for at least 2 months now and has come up with nothing. My guess is he is telling his story and not the real story and that is part of the reason he can't find a home for him.
So, here is the story as I see it...He is 19 years old and his only priority is going out and having a good time. (Nothing wrong with that, everyone needs to have fun) Unfortunately the dog is paying the price. As I know from experience with my own dog, they need a steady routine which he is not getting. Most days he doesn't get out of bed until 2 or 3 (claims he can't have a job right now because he has to take care of his dog - which he still isn't doing) and the dog has not gone out since the night before at 9 or 10! That's like 17 hours - of course the dog is going to go to the washroom in the house, but he doesn't see this. He thinks he is taking him out regularily enough and it is the dogs fault...
Not only is he neglecting him in the above way, he is not taking him to the Vet for annual visits, he has had an ear infection since September which when someone comments on he says he cannot afford the Vet bill (well then why do you have a pet???) What is $30?? That's all the medication costs, my dog gets the same ear infection all the time!

So my question is where do I go from here? We have given him the deadline and since then I have not seen him do anything. I don't want to see the dog go to the pound but on the other hand I also don't want to see anymore things of mine be ruined - we are replacing everything that he has ruined so far on the weekend of the 14th. Also, I am pregnant and due in a month. I cannot sit back and wait for him to go on something of my newborn baby's in order for me to completely loose it and take my own action.

Some more info - the dog is a 4 1/2 year old pitbull (I have nothing against the breed - my dog is also a pitbull - female, so I know it is his dog making the mess)

He really is a great dog - if we could only train the owner!:rolleyes:

I would really appreciate any advice in this matter.

Thank you.

joeysmama
January 4th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Hi NIkita, and welcome ! I saw this post in the "introduce yourself" forum and wanted to let you know that there are a number of responses over there.