Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 Males in a Household - Thoughts?

BernerLver
January 4th, 2006, 01:20 PM
What are other member's thoughts on having a household with two male dogs?

Bailey is about 1.5 years old (neutered) and we are hoping to add another Berner to our family. Not sure at this point if it will be a puppy or adult as either is fine with us. It has more to do with timing (i.e. if there is an adult dog in need before a puppy becomes available we are fine with that).

I don't foresee it being a problem but I'm wondering if there are any things I should be aware of going into the situation. Bailey is very easy going, gets along well with other dogs. I see the only real problem being that he will have to share us and I hope to avoid any problems in that area by making sure we do all the right things etc.

Any thoughts etc. would be great. They are appreciated as always.

StaceyB
January 4th, 2006, 01:26 PM
There is no problem as long as they are fixed.

Lucky Rescue
January 4th, 2006, 01:42 PM
There is no problem as long as they are fixed.

That is not always a given. Neutering may reduce the urge to fight, but not eliminate it. Depends on the individual dog, as many neutered dogs will fight (sometimes fiercely) for dominance, particularly with same-sex dogs on maturity.
Some breeds are less prone to fighting, but still depends on the personality.

Not sure at this point if it will be a puppy or adult as either is fine with us.

Your dog is still basically a puppy himself. He may be fine with another male, but personally, to try for the best chance of harmony I would get a female.

BMDLuver
January 4th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I would agree with LR on this one. I know of a family who has 1 male berner and added a second one recently. The original male has accepted the new member no problem. The new male tries to get the better of him every time they come in contact. Although Berners are passive in temperament in general, not all like sharing a home with the same sex. I too would suggest considering female as the first option, leaving age of dog open as you are doing. JMHO.

StaceyB
January 4th, 2006, 04:26 PM
There are always exceptions but it doesn't really have to be the same sex for them not to get along.

Lucky Rescue
January 4th, 2006, 05:54 PM
There are always exceptions but it doesn't really have to be the same sex for them not to get along.

That's quite true, but you said males will get along "no problem as long as they are fixed" and that is not so.

Just trying to inform the original poster so she doesn't get another adult male and think all will be fine as long as they are neutered, even with breeds known for being generally placid.

BMDLuver
January 4th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I'll just point out that if you get a second Berner from a reputable rescue or club that uses foster families, then you should have a clear picture to the dogs personality, etc.. prior to even considering him/her with your current fellow. Then they are able to have a play date on neutral territory to see how they get along, etc.. Plus some rescues do offer foster to adopt situations knowing that the dog has to work in the family dynamic.

BernerLver
January 4th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Thank you all for your replies; they have provided some much needed insight.

I feel that perhaps a female may be the better option then. Obviously there would be a period of adjustment regardless however I am hesitant now to risk another male based on some of the issues you all have pointed out.

Thanks again for the advice.

mona_b
January 4th, 2006, 09:32 PM
That is not always a given.

This is so very true.

I have always had males.

I raised 2 male pups at the same time(12 weeks old)...I only had Tron till he was 18 months...So for about 7 years it was me and Yukon.Then I got Tron back.So I was back to having 2 males.And all I can say is that I had absalutely no problems with either of them.Yes they had their scraps,BUT that was only in playing.Neither ever hurt each other.They even shared everything.Toys,bones you name it.:)

But I think this also has to do with their temperment and how they were raised.

BUT I also know a few people who have 2 males and they are forever breaking up the fights.Nothing to serious.But lets just say they are not left alone when no one is home.

I would go with a female though.

And BMD suggestion to fostering is a great one...This way you could see how things go with your guy in regards to having another in the house..It's one thing when dogs get along well with other dogs "outside" the home,it's another thing when another dog comes into your home and stays....:)

Prin
January 4th, 2006, 11:39 PM
More importantly is you can't get two dominant doggies. If the new one is going to be younger, I suggest getting a more laid back, more submissive doggy.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 5th, 2006, 07:10 AM
My sister had two male dogs. Joey (not my Joey) a german shephard cross and Jack a smaller terrier type. Jack always gave Joey a hard time and was definately more dominant. He used to attach him self to Joeys collar and just hang and growl. Joey never did anything, or even growled back. He would just keeping walking until Joey let go. After a while they got along great and were always together. Anways Jack was PTS this summer my sister says that Joeys' always looking around for him. :(

If I got another dog I would defintely get a female as I know Joey can be aggressive with some males, and his former owner told me he didnt get along with the male dogs. But I would definately try to test him with another dog before I took this step.