Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

12 Miners Alive!!!!

CyberKitten
January 4th, 2006, 01:40 AM
OMG - I am now hearing the following I wrote is NOTvtrue about the miners - only one survived!!! Incredible!!!! I can't believe they would do this - the communications ppl with the mine. They are as bad as Westray and their corporate guys who tried covering up stuff, what a &^% roller coaster. I am leaving my initial response just to show my first joy that has now turned to sorrow and anger. (Tho I hope the critical patient, the youngest miner I think, who is in critical condition, will make it.) Gawd!!!! This is Westray all over again (except no one survived Westray, sigh!!) My heart just goees out to those poor family members!! They must be horrified, sad and furious!!! And I don't blame them a bit - what an ungodly outcome!!

:highfive: to the resecuers and draegers!!

I just had to post - as tears flow freely (tears of joy) that 12 od the 13 miners have been found alive in WVa!! So sorry about the one fatality but I kept thinking about Westray where I knew people who died (father of a patient for one, brother of a roomate /one of my best friends for another) and it brought that all back. I recalled Que Creek too but this was an explosion (like Westray - in Pictou Co, NS if any of you remember that horrible tragedy) so I held oout hope but to know they are almost all alive is just so amazing. Call me emotional but I have to cry tears of joy to know they survived. (I kept thinking of that song too, about the Cumberland Mine explosion made famous in the folk song - Springhill Mine Disaster- before my time in the 50's but my parents told me about waiting by the radio for days!!)

Well done to the rescueres and draegers!!! (We have draegers here too!) And many of them still suffer post traumatic stress from Westray, like some of my bf's neighbours in Peggy's Cove (he has a home there tho he does live in Hfx as well) who suffer the effects of searching for bodies the night of the bSwiss Air Disaster. There are times I think I never ever had to join Les Medcins sans Frontieres to gain medical trauma experience in war and war like/ explosive situations. Just being in Halifax has brought much of that to my doorstep!!!

Anyway - so happy the miners are alive but grieve for the one who died! :sad:

Call me anal but I emailed CNN to tell them they were mispronoucning several mining terms. Only in Nova Scotia...... or northern NB or Minto or Sudbury or Alberta or northern BC.....

StaceyB
January 4th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I heard on the news that this company had something like 250 citations last year.

Luvmypit
January 4th, 2006, 11:43 AM
1 alive, 12 dead. Very sad. Especially considering the fact the loved ones were told they are alive then dead again. Talk about the biggest emotional rollercoaster possible.

May god bless them all

Georgiapeaches
January 4th, 2006, 12:48 PM
This is so tragic. How awful for the families.

My grandfather and uncle were miners in Nova Scotia and I know it is not a very safe job.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 4th, 2006, 01:59 PM
I read in this morning paper that they were all alive. My hubby told me that it was a mistake and only one survived. I feel so bad for those families. ITs just so sad.

I was going to post a thread about how stressful my job was, but intead I am going to go to my job tommorow and be thankful I dont risk my life everyday when I go to work.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 4th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Georgia Peaches

My grandfather and uncle were miners in Nova Scotia and I know it is not a very safe job.

My dad was a miner to at Brittiana mines in West Vancouver.