Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

$$ in other places

raingirl
January 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
I have a question.

If you move somewhere for a new job or are looking for a job in a new place, how do you know that the salary is good, especially if it's in a different country? What if you don't know anyone there to ask about it?

My friend works for a company based in the UK, and he *might* be able to get my BF a dream job there (not necessarily anytime soon, but he's keeping an eye our for us).

I know the cost of living there is much more expensive, so how would i know how much he/we would need to make to live there?

Of course, this is just an example. We have also considered looking for jobs in Montreal, Vancouver, and the US.

maddoxies
January 3rd, 2006, 10:02 PM
For research in Canada, try workopolis and other job search boards. You can see salaries offered in various cities. Stats Canada will give you Cost of Living for various parts of the country. Remember to factor in various income tax rates. For example, if I made the same salary, but lived in Ontario instead of Quebec, I would bring home $100 more per paycheque. That is $2,600 PER YEAR for living on the other side of the Quebec border.

You should be able to do similar internet research for other countries.

Prin
January 3rd, 2006, 10:04 PM
Well, first, before moving, you have to sign a contract. ;) When I was working in Ireland, to get my visa, I had to be sponsored by a company beforehand. The company claims responsibility for you while you are over there.

You should look at realestate in the area and maybe car prices too, just to get an idea of the ratio between there and here. When I was there, everything was the same number value as here, but their currency was 2.5 times ours (so a Honda Accord here is around $30 000 over there it used to be around 25 000 pounds). Now though, in the past few years, the prices have come down a lot, which caused a problem with used cars (used cars were "worth" more than the new ones). Our currency is also stronger and theirs is weaker, so now's the time to go, if you really want to.

I would send him over alone first to see if it's his dream job (remember how not all dream jobs on paper become dream jobs in reality?). If you move over there and hate it, it's going to be such a hassle.

Personally, I'd stay in Canada. We have interprovincial medicare, which is just an amazing thing for a traveller and to me is worth everything.

Good luck.