Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat has been declawed - now can't walk

catowner
November 18th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Hello, My car "sookie" was declawed in September. In November he claws started to grow back. She had at least 5 and at least one for every paw. I took her back to the vet who did the operation. He said he would do it again. I agreed to as i though it wouldn't be a problem. I picked her up after the operation and she could not even walk. She was given no pain medication at all and was actually advised against taking it. I did go for the first week without anything but she was in so much pain, that i took her to another vet. They immediately gave her pain medication and antibiotics. She seemed to be in less pain but never really started using her front paws. She is always sitting up like a prairie dog. She no longer goes up and down the stairs and she no longer plays.

I took her to the vet again today (not the one who did the operation) and asked him to re-evaluate her. he took xrays or her front paws. He said she will always be the way she is now. It has been six weeks. In the xrays it showed that most of her bone was missing up to p2 and p3. I was shocked as he was also.

What should I do now? Do I get a lawyer and sue the vet who did this to my cat? She will be in pain the rest of her life because of the vet.

help me please!!!!!!!

Ford
January 4th, 2006, 02:21 PM
*bumped due to posting date error*

jessi76
January 4th, 2006, 02:51 PM
oh dear. I hate reading posts like this. I'm so sorry for you & Sookie. Personally, I'm against declawing (as many members here are), but what's done is done.

First and foremost you must tend to Sookie's needs. Did the new vet say she will always be in pain?

Honestly, I'd start by contacting a larger vet group - such as a National Vet Association (I'm guessing at a name here, find out who licensed this neglegent vet and what association he belongs to), and file a complaint against this vet. There may be many more complaints against him. A Vet association may be able to provide some resources for you or give you an idea of what actions to take.

In case you haven't done so, get everything pertaining to Sookie in writing (and copies).

Shamrock
January 4th, 2006, 03:22 PM
I would certainly agree with keeping records on everything and contact the veterinary association for your area to register a complaint. The surgery sounds like a botched job, and the followup negligient. Why she would not be given pain meds is beyond me.

I am very sorry to hear of this ordeal you and poor Sookie are going through, I'm sure you are beside yourself with worry for her, and her future health and mobility.

With any surgery comes risks. Aside from the painful recovery,many cats are adversely affected for life following this procedure - why so many here are strongly opposed to declawing.

The claws cant be put back. In your case, the deed is done. For those who may be considering such a procedure.. a heartwrenching example of why its NOT worth the risk.

I'm so sorry things appear to have gone so terribly wrong, and I hope your little cat will recover.
Good luck to you both.

doggy lover
January 4th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Declawing is amputation on the tip of the toe, they can't grow back. There is something seriously wrong here, I would take you cat to another vet and find out what the heck the other one did and yes I would contact the vet association. :mad: Yes I would be mad the poor cat must be in alot of pain take it to another vet asap.

cindyann
January 4th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I would contact a lawyer. the vet did something wrong. I am very very against declawing to start with. Its a horrid thing to do to any cat.Its the same as cutting a human finger off at the 1st joint.
I do not mean to seem harsh to you. I feel very sorry for your :sorry: cat and you. Did the new vet recomend anything to make your cats life more comfortable in regards to the botched declawing? I sure hope your cat can be made more comfortable and be able to live a more normal life. Good luck.

"Save a paw don't declaw"

Prin
January 4th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Declawing is amputation on the tip of the toe, they can't grow back. There is something seriously wrong here, I would take you cat to another vet and find out what the heck the other one did and yes I would contact the vet association. :mad: Yes I would be mad the poor cat must be in alot of pain take it to another vet asap.
That's what I was thinking- Just like you can't regrow your leg if you cut it from the knee down, the nail can't grow back, unless just the nail was cut (as in a trim...).

Whatever the case, this vet is a hack.

CyberKitten
January 4th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I am very much oppossed to declawing which you may know isillegal in most civilized countries because it is so cruel and creates so many problems for kitties but what's done is done and it sounds like you may have had a vet who talked you into it and then did a hack job. Poor little Sooikie. It is an extremely painful surgery and requires much pain medication - that vet seriously needs some litigation. (It makes me angry just to think of him!!!!).

Please help Sookie to adjust to life withoutr claws - many kitties wake up very very upset after the surgery - according to vets and vet assistants who have seen the surgery (and lefty those practices that did t=it for that reason) and they often thrash around and loose their bloodied bandages but an amputated limb does not grow back do your vet is either really ill informed or lying. (Neither a good prospect). Give Sokie mre TLC, make her feel much loved and secure - since kitties declawed can become fearful and their pain will make their leary also of the litter box so use litter like Yesterday's News or rabbit shavings that will not hurt (so she does not associate the box with pain). Give her a place of her own - and NEVER allow her outside since she cannot defend herself anymore. Som,e declawed cats become biters since their first and logical defence is now gone so try to find alternatives for her if she does this and don't blame her if she does. It is not her fault, sigh!!! Poor baby!!!!!

Schwinn
January 5th, 2006, 07:40 AM
I'm curious...did the new vet offer a reason as to why, or how, the claws grew back?

chico2
January 5th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Catowner,I could not read your whole post,I got a sick feeling just by your first lines:sad:
First and foremost right now is to make your Sookie pain-free,if at all possible..but it looks like she will always be in pain.An incredible injustice was done to this poor baby,by an incompetent vet and he should not be allowed to ruin another cats life.
I wish in Canada,like in most European countries,we would see declawing for what it is and out-law the procedure,but again,the $$$$ speaks:evil:
My heart goes out to poor Sookie and you,because no matter how sorry you feel for allowing this deed,maybe even recomended by the vet:mad: ,it is irreversable.
You can only hope that there will be some relif for her,a life in pain would not be fair to this poor little cat:sad:

Beaglemom
January 5th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your poor kitty and the pain that she must have been in and is still experiencing. I'm quite horrified at the fact that this vet did not prescribe pain medication post surgery. Most vets actually give an injection of pain medication and then send home more pain meds to be taken during the next several days. I cringe when I think about the methods used for her declawing. When I worked at a vet clinic, all our declaws got pain meds since this is an amputation and does cause a great deal of pain. By the way, I hated the declawing process. Couldn't take part in it at all, the only type of surgery I would refuse to be a part of! Please do not use this vet again, not even for annual vaccinations! I would definitely consider contacting a lawyer and putting a complaint in with the Ontario Veterinary Association.

Toonces
January 5th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Yikes, poor little kitty, I would love to know who the vet is since I am in the Belleville area but I know you can't post that info. Glad my guys have a good vet. I feel really bad for you and your kitty.

wdawson
January 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM
was pain meds offered as an extra expense ? my vet gives you a form with check boxes.....exmpl.......pain meds $25 per day........saline iv $20 per iv......ect.....so i fill out and go over with vet before signing the waiver form ,
so when my cat had crystals and a urinary tract infection $300 alone for pain meds..........same form for when my pit gave up his boys.

Sneaky
January 5th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Hopefully your cat gets better!
I would definetly do two things:
first of all report the vet to the Canadian Association
of Veterinary Medicine. Their number should be in the phone
book or a vet can give it to you.
Second, report the vet to the better business bureau.
If they get multiple reports they will send out an investagation
and may close the vet clinic down or remove that vets practicing
license.
There are many more humane things that are possible beside
declawing the cat.
There are these nice little plastic caps you put on over their claws
after a good trim that grow off on their own. A good alternative.
I am quite surprised that a vet wouldnt inform you of the risks
assosciated with declawing your cat. That alone was very wrong.
Hopefully this thread will provide valuable info to others
as to why you shouldnt declaw a cat.

chico2
January 6th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Sneaky Pete,unfortunately some vets today suggest declawing at the same time as neuter/spay and I believe many uninformed catowners just say"Ok,why not!!"not knowing it is in fact a painful mutilation:sad:
To me it is really simple,if you do not want an animal that might scratch your furniture,you just don't get a cat:evil: Aquariums are a good alternative!!

Sneaky
January 7th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Chico - those particular vets should not be practicing
if you ask my opinion. That is ridiculous.
When you go to your doctor they dont tell you
they are going to remove all your toenails without
first telling you the consequences and possible secondary
effects!!!
There should be some sort of ethical guidelines by which
vets work, such as how doctors are guided by the hippocratic oath!
If people dont want pets that scratch furniture, maybe they should
opt to properly train their pets rather than opting to mutilate them.
My cats are well trained. They dont claw furniture.
Cats are very trainable when they are kittens, and I dont know
why people dont realize this.