Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

when to change food?

heather331
November 18th, 2003, 09:54 AM
she's a shepherd husky mix

StaceyB
November 18th, 2003, 09:55 AM
I would keep all pups on puppy food until they are at least 1yr. They need the extra fat for more than physical growth, they also need it for brain development. Some pups may stay on puppy food much longer even up to 2 yrs.

heather331
November 18th, 2003, 09:55 AM
the reply i just posted is located at the top for some reason instead of the bottom. this just happened in another thread. anyway, so to read it look up there.

StaceyB
November 18th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Something very strange has just happened to this thread.

heather331
November 18th, 2003, 10:21 AM
yeah something strange is going on. also i thread that i started right before this one has disappeared :mad:

heather331
January 3rd, 2006, 02:46 PM
i was wondering how old a dog should be when switching from puppy food to adult food. thanks!

BMDLuver
January 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM
Depends on the breed of the dog... meaning small gaffer or xlarg breed?

Ford
January 4th, 2006, 01:46 PM
*bump due to date error*

mona_b
January 5th, 2006, 07:57 AM
You have a GSD/Husky mix that will be a good size.

You can switch to adult at 6 months.I did will my GSD's(my breeder suggested this) and my sister did this with her 3 Huskies.You don't want larger breed of pups to grow to fast.This can cause havock on their bones as they are growing.And can cause Hip Dysplasia.I know of pups that have been switched at 4 months.Reason being is that they were growing to fast.

So I would say that you are safe to switch her at 6 months.Just remember to switch to a high quality food.......:)

Smaller breeds can stay on it till they are a year old.