October 11th, 2003, 11:42 PM
I have to ask the question as it is seriously concerning me. I have spent $700 at the Vet in the last 4 days and have a diagnosis but my dog is not eating yet.
Heres what the vet said. First, they did tons of blood work, x-rays, berium tests, urine tests, etc. Out of all of the tests, my 3 year old female Akita is not eating. The vet said she has a urinary tract infection, gave her the antibiotic shot, and regular antibiotics.
She has always had an incredible diet, she is perectly on target for weight and still seems happy. After four days of the antibiotics, she appears to be feeling much better. We go for our daily walks, she chases the rabits, and is playful again.
But, she wont eat. The vet made me buy $35 worth of 2.5lbs of special food and she wont eat that. She wont eat her regular food or canned food. Once in a great while, she will eat a few dog biscuits. She has probably only eaten 1.5 cups of food in 3 days. This is not good. She has though been drinking a normal amount of water. I don't know how long she can do this without getting malnourished or worse.
Is it normal for dogs not to eat when they are sick like this? If so, how do I do my best to try and help. I love my girl and have since the day I got her from the breader. I don't want to see her get worse. Please give me any advice that anyone here may have.
October 12th, 2003, 12:27 AM
What did you take her to the vet for originally? Was she eating before she started the antibiotics?
Is she taking Clavamox? It's been my experience that this type of medication does sometimes cause nausea and lack of appetite.
What does your vet say about the lack of appetite?
October 13th, 2003, 01:38 AM
First, thank you for the reply.
I originally took her to the Vet for the eating problem. Like I said, she normally has a very healthy appetite so her not eating was very alarming to me.
She is actually taking an antibiotic called Cephalexin. Not sure what it compares to but I wonder if it may cause the same problem as Clavamox. She still isn't eating regularly regardless.
I gave her some of the prescription can food and mixed it with the dry food. All she did was lick the canned food off of the dry food and eat that a little bit. She didn't even finish a third of a can's worth. She has been eating a few dog biscuits here and there but nothing substantial. She has vomited a couple of times since but very small amounts. Otherwise, she seems so healthy. She is running, playing, walking, and chasing the rabits again. This afternoon, I put some milk in her water dish. She has always loved milk every now and then and she actually drank this well. I figured something with at least a little nutrition is better than nothing.
She is due back at the vet saturday for a follow-up but I hope that she is okay now. How long do you think the illness and possibly the medication can affect her eating? She hasn't lost a lot of weight (maybe a pound or two) but I don't want her to be malnourished. In your experience, does a urinary tract infection, coupled with the medication cause a dog to lose it's appetite. i love my dog like a family member and don't want to see her sick or suffering.
One last important question. I normally leave my do outside while I am at work, but should I leave her inside or out right now? I am afraid that if I put her outside, she is just going to eat more grass and make herself sicker. But I also don't want to find out the hard way and come home to messes all over the house.
THanks again and I appreciate all of your input.
October 13th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Well, nevermind, it looks as though she can't keep down the milk either. Not sure what to do at this point but I don't have the money to keep going back and forth from the vets with no solution.
October 13th, 2003, 09:00 AM
What a frustrating problem!
Are you in Denver? The DDFL has referrals to low cost (and GOOD) vet clinics, like Harrison Memorial. Also you might try my old vet - Montclair Animal hospital in Esat Denver. I think the son has taken over the practice - but his father was my vet for ten years, and they are a wonderful clinic and extremely reasonable.
There's some ideas if you are in the Denver area.
Other than that, I have no ideas - chronic vomiting can be cancer, a blockage - all kinds of things. Someone else had a question about chronic vomiting here a couple of days ago and I posted a very informative link - I don't have time to go find it now, but you could check recent posts.
October 13th, 2003, 03:45 PM
I have had 2 dogs die, one from pancreatitis (and 2 others have terrible bouts of it and live) and one from Pancreatic cancer.
Any blood in the stool or vomit?
This is imprtant.
How about the lower fat foods? Do they stay down, if eaten?
This sounds like a huge amount of tests to not have a diagnosis, but I just lost my cat last week, undiagnosed after a zillion tests, it was cancer.
I think you should get a 2nd opinion, fast.
And, I, personally keep the dogs in the house, just because of all the loonies out there, and they can get into all kinds of stuff outside.
Yep, sometimes, there are messes, but it comes with the territory, right?
October 14th, 2003, 01:00 AM
I found out that a vetrinary clinic my family has used for 20 years just put in a new branch by my new house. I have called them and scheduled an exam for her tomorrow. Hope it helps, this is getting expensive.
There is no blood in her stool or vomit so that should be a good thing.
As far as the food, nothing is staying down. The low fat prescription food is not staying down nor is anything but water.
I have always left her outside during the day, after all she is an Akita. They were bread for the outdoors and she seems to be happier out there with the birds and rabbits than inside staring at the walls. The other problem with making her stay inside is that she is used to being able to go to the bathroom anytime. She hasn't trained her bladder to stay in for 8-10 hours at time.
Hope the new vet helps tomorrow. She just seems to be so happy though. We went for a walk again tonight and I could barely keep up with her. Hope she is okay and I thank you for your input.
October 14th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Sounds like you are doing everything you can possibly do for her.
I hope you can get some help, this sounds urgent, with the vomiting.
You live in a much more "dog friendly" environment than myself.
We're on a golf course, and believe me, if I left the dogs out, well, lets just say, they wouldn't be safe.
People in my neighborhood are kind of "stuck up" and God forbid a dog barks, etc.
You're lucky, as is your dog.
They go out, but only when I'm here, and I don't have to be gone that long.
Good luck with the new vet.
Something's gotta give, right?
October 15th, 2003, 02:05 AM
Well, first I have to say that it was nice to see a vetrinarian with so many years of experience that he could diagnose a dog without expensive x-rays and tests. He was so good, he could feel her intestinal tract by hand looking for blockages and so on. He did several other tests real quick including a quick fecal check and gave me a couple of options. One option was to do two injections to boost her intestinal system and get it functioning again, and the other was to control her vomiting as well as a strong antibiotic. I am happy to say that so far, she has kept down the 3/4 of a can of food he gave me. I will feed her the other 1/4 tomorrow morning. He said that he will want to give her another round of shots tomorrow and se if she is recovered. Unfortunately, if this does not work, he said I will have to get an ultrasound and most likely she will need surgery. At that point I will have some decisions to make because I can't afford the $2000 surgery for her. I hope for both our sake she is okay! It's hard to think of the ultimate decision as she is like a child to me.
Thanks for all of your care and help!