Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Interesting, weird or just cool names...

rivers
January 3rd, 2006, 10:03 AM
I have come across some strange names for pets recently, and thought it would be fun to see if any of you have some to add.

A friend had a cat called 'Kitty-Katoo'
A bulldug called 'Chainsaw', very apt!
And recently, a beautiful grey schnauzer called 'Sunday', which is not strange but so unique, as she was adopted on a sunday.

Anyone have names to add that are unique, clever or just weird?

papillonmama
January 3rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
I named my budgie BuddyG, it helped my mum remember what kind of food to buy for it when I was away, BuddyG the Budgerie!

Prin
January 3rd, 2006, 01:58 PM
What about Boo? He picked his own name, and I think it's pretty unique.:)

Schwinn
January 3rd, 2006, 02:57 PM
My best friend growing up was named Fang. He bit my grandma when he was a pup.

Copper'sMom
January 3rd, 2006, 03:09 PM
I named my budgie BuddyG, it helped my mum remember what kind of food to buy for it when I was away, BuddyG the Budgerie!

LMAO!!!!!:crazy:
My cousin had a ferret named "Comehere." Come.......here, get it??:rolleyes:

Frenchy
January 3rd, 2006, 08:28 PM
I named one of my cat Dweezil.Might not be weird in english but french people always made me repeat his name.

raingirl
January 3rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Our friends have a bulldog named Friday (she is so cute!)

My BF's brother's cats are named Flower Pot and Froot Loop. Their previous cat was Argon (as in the element).

My Brother in laws sister named her two kids Jasper Ridge and Sierra Ridge (sound like places to me!)

Prin
January 3rd, 2006, 10:50 PM
There was the American downhill skier named "Star of Peace Quinn". I thought that was a cool name. I know a girly named Princess, too...;) Not an odd name for a dog, but rarer for a person...:o

One of my bro's pitties is named Yayo. I think it suits him- he's such a pretend serious person.:crazy:

joeysmama
January 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
How did Boo pick his own name? I love the name--reminds me of Boo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird. Very cool name.

My nephew has a dog named Aslan which I think is cute. And my brother has two cats named Ookla and Nonda. My neighbors dog is Frasier and the one before this one was Sebastian. I like that one too.

When I was growing up the dogs on the block were Bo-Bo, Inky, Keto, Pax, Taffy, and Snoopy.

My cousins dog is Boston which I really love. They got him from a rescue, he was a year old and came with the name.

Prin
January 4th, 2006, 12:08 AM
His SPCA name was cliff and he didn't care for it, so we tried a gazillion names and he just ignored us and then we said "Boo" and he turned around all excited. He chose us in the SPCA too. He was all quiet and we turned around and he barked to get us back.:love: Boo gets what Boo wants.

rivers
January 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM
aah, you just reminded me of another name I came across.
It was a little girl, humanbaby, her name was Ocean. Her middel name was Lily.
I have a freind who's named her daughter Jurnee. I like it.

But back to pet names, I friend of mine had a puppy that was St. Bernard and English Bull terrier mix. The weirdest looking dog I've known. Large, smooth like a bull terrier, spots like a St. Bernard, face long and squarish. Floppy and clumsy too. lol. Funny thing. She named her Daisy, (as in a cow name)!

StaceyB
January 4th, 2006, 11:56 AM
My sons name is Brittan.

Dog Mom
January 4th, 2006, 12:18 PM
We had a cat named MeMow and one named KooKoo Kitty

Luvmypit
January 4th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Hey Stacey I just had a neice on the 28th. Her name is Ireland. Maybe we can promote world peace by getting Ireland and Brittan together!;)

LM1313
January 4th, 2006, 12:30 PM
One of my coworkers has a kitty named Zoe . . . who's a boy. They didn't learn that until a while after they'd had him . . . :D

StaceyB
January 4th, 2006, 12:34 PM
lol, he may be a little old for her, he is turning 12.

I actually didn't name him after the country. I liked the name Bretton but I didn't want him to be teased because of the cracker. When I looked up the name Bretton, one of the attached nick names was Brit. I extended it to Brittan.

Jackie467
January 4th, 2006, 01:32 PM
My grandmother had a cat named kitkat once and we called him kitter. I guess that's kind of unusual, but I actully liked that name a lot.

rivers
January 4th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Another one I've just remembered is a girl named Eyelish. I'm not certain of the spelling at all! But it sounds like Eye-lish, similar to eyelash.

Schwinn
January 4th, 2006, 04:59 PM
lol, he may be a little old for her, he is turning 12.

Might want to keep in touch for his second wife...

StaceyB
January 4th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Hey, Hey, Hey, no second wife for him.

mafiaprincess
January 4th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I have a friend with a boxer named Aspen. It rocks my socks.

Bushfire2000
January 4th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I thought "Buster" was unusual at the time. I'd only heard it used in my own family My grandparents had a horse named Buster and two dogs (successively).Since naming Buster I've heard the name a lot.

My son's name is Hudson which I'd also thought was unique. I was apparently wrong.

Hey is Mavis an unusual dog name?

shelly75
January 5th, 2006, 08:03 AM
My daughter age 5 is trying to change my dog's name to French-fry after her brothers turtle. I kept telling no we can't just change the dogs name its not nice etc but my dog repsonds to it.

Schwinn
January 5th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I had a rabbit named Bunny (a girls name, was my reasoning).

My uncles dog is named "Go Away".

Daisy also answers to Pupperella, Pup, and Dumbass.

StaceyB
January 5th, 2006, 09:36 AM
My mothers dog is named Kelti.
This name is not unusual or even inventive but our ferrets name is baby. We never intended on keeping him. A friend of mine from a different city asked if I ever came across ferrets to let her know and possibly pick them up for her. We found someone giving up 3 of them so I picked them up. We were not travelling to her area for a month so they stayed with us for that time. My husband fell in love with the baby of the bunch during that time. Oh, he came to us at 4 months with no name and I didn't want to name him because he wasn't going to be ours so we just called him baby. We kept him but always called him baby so it stuck. We are now looking for a friendly friend for him. I would really like to get one of the chocolate ones but we will see.

SunGurl372
January 5th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Years ago, a friend of mine had a white cat with black patches. Her name was Cow. We also called her "Kitty-Cow".

Shamrock
January 5th, 2006, 05:44 PM
My sister's Siamese cat is called Voodoo. She wanted an exotic, unusual name, and just loves this choice.
A lot of people dont seem to agree, and sometimes ask her.." Voodoo -what kind of name is that??"
Feeling rather defensive.. she always replies...A nice name"!;)

SchnauzerGirl
January 5th, 2006, 06:49 PM
A co-worker named her schnauzer Hobbit (she is a huge lord of the rings fan) and her new schnauzer puppy Lola. The guy who owns the pet store named his schnauzer Libby.

My personal favorite is the yorky poodle cross named Scruffy since it was named by a six year old girl and the dog was very aptly named.

raingirl
January 5th, 2006, 07:20 PM
My friend had a black poodle named Soot Bin, and before that a white poodle named Trash (thanks to her granddad who kept calling them that...when their real names were black magic and princess)

Shamrock
January 5th, 2006, 08:11 PM
My daughter's friends gave a rather rude and unkind name for their mishieveous kitty - but they use the initials - C.B. when referring to him.

His "official" name is a spin on the Austin Powers movie character.. Fat B***ard.

SarahLynn123
January 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
One of my dogs came with the name Wolf, we kept it, and the guy who helped train my dogs named his dog McDuff. I thought that was too cute!

katy82
January 6th, 2006, 06:37 PM
My dogs name is Phil...is that considered a weird name if she's a girl?

My one cat is Fez and the other is Rocky. I guess Rocky is an ordinary kind of name though.

domesticzookeep
January 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM
A few of the strange ones I've come across:

Flounder - a 2 yr old yellow male lab I fostered awhile ago.....given the name by the shelter b/c he had a very strong fish odour when they brought him in as a stray found wondering around in a marsh.... luckily he was given a bath before he arrived at my place :eek:

Pickles - 6 yr old cocker male spaniel (owner surrendered.....)

and of course,

Crackers - another lab, owner surrendered with this name.....oddly enough, Crackers & Pickles were not from the same family.....

Grumbles - 2 yr old female boxer....again, another shelter name. I thought it was great, but unfortunately, it was changed to help in the adoption process.....

Whisper - a neighbour's dog (part wolfhound???) that has the best howl....

Pan - the cat, named after the greek god, who was abandoned at birth and was known to disturb the peace wherever he went.... he was a stray neighbourhood kitten that more or less adopted us, and when he moved into the house, definitely stirred up some mischief with the two older resident cats....

papillonmama
January 6th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Okay, I only told you guys Buddy G's name, so here are some other interesting names I know,

Slim Dusty, my cat, he was named after a singer on one of my kids' Wiggles DVD's

Biff, my other cat, who someone on here told me was Swedish for beef, oddly enough, my hubby didn't want to name him after another animal, so I settled for a tough guy name.

My kids are Wiggle crazy, our Beta fish is named Wiggle, after the band!;)

And I always wanted to call a pet Askim, like, 'what's your dogs name?' 'Askim"

doggy lover
January 6th, 2006, 08:27 PM
when I was a kid our dogs name was Puskus after some footballer.

I met a guy that named his dogs Hey and You. Easy to get their attenshion.

I had a girlfriend who named her cat Pussy,I bet that if it went missing she never went around asking if anyone had seen it.

A friend of mine was going to call her BC Stains as she had a white marking across her butt, the girls husband said not to call her that in case they were outside yelling Come............ Oh you get it. LOL Honest the last two names are true.

Prin
January 7th, 2006, 12:43 AM
LOL doggy lover... You don't name any animal that unless you're looking for trouble... Anybody read the story of the dog named Sex?

shannonRN
January 7th, 2006, 02:20 AM
When I was a kid, we had a cat with a given name "Adrian" (the movie Rocky was big at the time) but whom we always called "Little Girl." I have no idea why.

Also had a cat named "Toulouse" after Toulouse Lautrec--my mother's choosing.

A husky named "Tika."

A kitten we named 'Junior' because he was the spitting image, in miniature, of the cat we had already had for years

My sister's family has roughly 10 cats that they just seem to accumulate (strays) and all were named by my nephew after baseball players--Chipper (Chipper Jones), Tino (after Martinez), ARod (for A. Rodriguez), I don't know the rest because I don't know baseball. But even the females are named after male major-leaguers. Always thought that was funny.

Stacer
January 7th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Our 2 cats are Angus and Finn. But we frequently call them Angy McPangers or Angoo and Finny-foo-foo or Finny McFooers. They don't seem to mind! And cats need last names too!!

Snooky'sMom
January 7th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I have a female Calico that has a very common name yet at the same time a rare name. She's called Kali. To hear it most people think Callie but I wanted a different spelling to make her special. Kali is a mythological Hindu godess. Actually her short nickname Kal matched with her fav food at that time: Kal Kan (although she eats a much better grade of food nowadays)

JodyT
January 8th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I know a toy poodle named Po Po - which makes me laugh because growing up, that was what our neighbourhood punks used as slang for the police! Somehow, Po Po doesn't look like a punk...or the police!

My boyfriend and I are considering getting a dog, and if it's a him we'd like to call it Basil Rathbone (after the English actor famous for playing Sherlock Holmes).

Sheltielover
January 8th, 2006, 09:56 PM
My friend back in public school had a cat named "Askim". I asked her one day what her cats name was and she said "Askim". I gave her the strangest look and said what do you mean Ask him? ..lol Different strokes for different folks I guess:p

glasslass
January 9th, 2006, 12:29 AM
My brother had a weimereiner named "Geese". We called him "Goose" for short. We also had a Siamese named "Rhubarb". Same brother had a black lab that had a white spot on his chest. He named him "Crow". We had a brown tabby that growled when he play-wrestled with Den-Den. His name was "T'Grrr". A friend of mine has a BC named "Flyer". It suits his personality. He's a real space cadet and seemingly flies because he runs so fast. Actually, my friend collects American Flyer trains, same as us. My mom had a little terrier who had hair sticking straight up on top of his head. Naturally, he was called "Alfalfa" after the old Our Gang TV series. We called him "alfie" for short. Another friend had a boxer named "Sugar Ray". He was just called "Sugar".

StaceyB
January 9th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Years ago I had a cockatiel named Gerty and another named Toad.

rivers
January 9th, 2006, 10:15 AM
To add some more to my list, we had two goldfish when growing up, called 'Fish' and 'Chips'. I guess not original, but still funny!

papillonmama- don't mean to alarm you, but I have come across the word 'biff' as a slang name for something similar to what Doogielover was implying about stain....:eek:

TobsterMom
January 9th, 2006, 12:18 PM
My mom told me about her 4 goldfish she got when she was a child. Eenie, Meenie, Miney, and Moe. She was soo excited, her sister was equally as thrilled. Well, it was the 50's and they never had central heating, only a warm morning stove in the kitchen. My grandmother suggested they keep the fishies in the kitchen where it would be warmer, but my mother and aunt insisted they be in thier bedroom. The next morning my mother woke to see them frozen in their bowl. Poor fishies...and poor mom! As sad as the story is, my mother laughs today remembering her beloved fish, Eenie, Meenie, Miney and Moe.

A little story for the day :)

melanie
January 9th, 2006, 03:56 PM
growing up my family were big fans of the NZ cartoon foot rot flats, so we of course had a dog named DOG and a cat named HORSE, it used to make us laugh when mum would go out and yell at the top of her lungs for horse to come home...

as for human babies, well my nephew wants me to call this baby DINGO, he says its the coolest name, i told him the kid would be teased and called dog boy all his life, my nephew replied 'and whats wrong with that' gotta love em...

raingirl
January 9th, 2006, 09:39 PM
My roommate in University had a tank and one of those black small shark like fish with red fins and tails, and it was named Dr. Evil.

Puppyluv
January 9th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I have a friend whose family dog's name was Beel. Short for Beelzebub. Not because they were overly anti-christ, or pro-satan, but because where they got a lot of JW's coming to their door in their neighbourhood, and nothing got rid of them faster than referring to their dog as beelzebub :D

Luvmypit
January 10th, 2006, 02:08 PM
My aunt had a cat named Scotch and the other soda. My dogs name is Capone which I have heard but not often. I had a dog name Bo after that Football?baseball guy I think Bo Jackson was it? Bo does this Bo does that... Remember?

I had a scottish terrier who died long long ago named pepper.

Those are the weirdest names I know of. Dog / animal wise...

Bushfire2000
January 10th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I had two kittens once named "frick" and "frac" after Fred flinstone cartoon swearing.
And a Lab cross that was briefly known as "Stud" he got away once and after walking through the school yard hollering "come here Stud, come on Studly" he had a rapid name change to "Blackie".

Jackie467
January 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I had a cat when I was really little that my dad named long johns because he had white back legs and butt but his tail was orange so it looked like he was wearing a pair of long johns with a hole for his tail to stick out.

I guess that is kind of weird.

melanie
January 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM
i have renamed charlie and the neighbors dog, her name is shelly, so now she is shellzebub and charlie is chuckles, i think their both evil names befitting two very evil little girls indeed, when you hear them fight at the fence you would know what i mean.:D bloody creepy cows i swear.....

lm9012
January 10th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Everyone gets a kick out of us naming our pup Albert. When we were picking a name, we knew we wanted a 'human' name, he was actually named Quentin (after Terrentino) for about an hour. We were playing with him at the shelter waiting for the adoption to come though and he was so quiet and pensive looking. This lady walked by and said, 'my, he looks like this little old man with so much on his mind!'. He has bushy eyebrows too...then to top it off the (really nice) volunteer that helped us at the shelter..his name was Albert....so that was that. We looked at each other and just knew...he's named after Albert Einstein!! We actually say his full name is Albert Einstein Ramos...:D

TobsterMom
January 10th, 2006, 08:11 PM
After cat sitting my friends 2 kitties, my son decided he wanted a cat, and he would name it Blake. For weeks he would make me go on the humane society web site to see the cats that were up for adoption.

My husband and I don't feel he's quite ready to help out with a cat yet, so Santa brought him a Webkinz. It's a stuffed orange kitty (you can get all different kinds of pets) with a code for they're website. You're pet "comes to life" on the internet. The pet has to be fed and played with and even taken to the vet....it's pretty cool.

There is an adoption process, and as he was filling out the name section, he put in Blake Rogerson (not our last name btw).

another story....sorry, I'm bored :o

cpietra16
January 10th, 2006, 08:43 PM
My Lab- Winnie for Winnie the Pooh( my husband said it was either the dog who got the name or our first son:rolleyes:

Nicki- short for Nikki Nikki Tembo Nosarembo Oohmah Moochi Gama Gama Goochi Ala Ala Oochi Pip Pery Pembo- after one of my favorite stories. I named her that because she was a feral kitten and so small that the vet never thought she would grow to a normal size...so if she she was small then her name would be big:D

Crunchie- she's a calico that reminds me of the candy bar.

Orca- (RIP)when he lay down on his back he looked like an Orca whale.

Samson and Goliath-(RIP) brothers/ one was long haired and the other was a short haired ,huge, and had a left hook :eek:

Kirby and Chelsea- (formerly Kirby and Firby) Kirby eats like the vacumm cleaner and Chelsea was the closest sounding name that actually sounded like Jealousy , her former name.

Tess- she is a little contessa (actually Canine14 namedher--but suits her to a T)

Misty (MIA)- Russian Blue who was very much like mist

Thomas- (RIP) a beautiful feral cat that I tried to get but never could. Everyone told me that it was just a TOM so I thought I would give him the dignity of calling him Thomas....I fed him for 3 years and then he disappeared one day never to come back. He had the most mezmerising blue eyes I have ever seen on an Orange cat.His last visit, My neighbour saw him come to my door and scratch...something he never never did...he looked very sick. He lay down for a few minutes and then left. He never showed up again. I would like to think that he wanted some place safe to die...but I wasn't home for him..and I still regret that day.

Beautygirl
January 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
We had a goldfish named Albert the Fish Musketeer (after the cartoon character Albert the 5th musketeer). We've also had goldfish named Barney and Bettas named George Washington, Bubbles and Bart Simpson.

Growing up we had bunnies named Bert, Ernie and Chipper.

TobsterMom
January 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM
My son named our fishies- Cutie Patootie, Bob Elvis, and Freddy Fender (spends too much time listening to my dads music :o )

koalat
December 18th, 2007, 09:34 PM
When I had my dalmatian, Max, I would call him Maximilian when he did something naughty!

My Golden is Chelsea but when she's curled up on her blanket or pillow, she's just called Patate. Same goes for Aminnou though when he's lying on his back with all 4 paws in the air!:shrug:

Hogansma
December 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM
When my son was a lot younger, we had a shepherd cross that I named Jake. My son didn't like the name so he called him Scooter, which became his real name. He got nicknames like Scootie, Cootie, Coot and the name I called him was just Big Boy.

At the shelter there are some dogs with unusual names. Some examples are Persia, Egypt, Jewel, Hannah Montana, Frost Bite (small jack russel puppy), Star, Tipsee (white tip on the tail).

My sister's dog was Dudley. I think it's a cool name.

SARAH
December 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM
My aunt's cat, Treizou (13 aout) ok august 13th for the non-french speaking, because she found him on a 13th of August.

My daughter's cat, Kikatsu, meaning he who dies of thirst and hunger in Japanese (she was teaching herself that language and getting good at it too) because cats are always hungry :)

My brother's Spoutnik, the original, named after the Russian space craft.

All my parents' Whisky. All cats who were Black & White like the scotch whisky!

Asterix ... welll, that little cartoon guy and the cat had nothing in common. :laughing:

SneakySnakesINC
December 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Hmm lets see, I've got a few odd names,

my snakes are named Osh Gosh Labarsky, Irwin,(after Steve) Nagini (after HP!) Ember and Vegas..

My equines are Sherlock Holmes, and Cleatis Jack..

My Cats are Little Caesar Ray, Phoenix, Boomer and Pharoh

and I have 2 toads called Spott and Dott

My boyfriends animal's names are Arnie, Weasle, Benson, Willis, Maurice, Melvin, Muffin, Loretta, Conway, Tuffy and Napolian.

Ford Girl
December 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM
My kitties name is Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III. And it suits him. It's weird. We actually call him Pubes or Pubey. LMAO! I know, sad. No wonder he's so cranky?

ancientgirl
December 20th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Vlad's entire name is: Vladimir Rasputin Rodriguez
Oksana's is: Oksana Tatiana Rodriguez
Kiska is: Kiska Alexandra Rodriguez
Maks is Maksimilian Nicolai Rodriguez

And my new kitty, will be: Czarina Odessa Rodriguez

:D I like Russian names:shrug:

Masha
December 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM
We named our cat 'Monkey' :) When we tell people they think we are joking... they soon find out that we are very serious.

When we adopted him at 8 months old he would walk in a funny way that reminded us of the way monkeys walk, so we called him Monkey.