Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy eating other dogs poo

mrs wooff
January 3rd, 2006, 07:13 AM
:eek: :eek: I have a 6 month old cross breed bitch. She has been wonderful and really easy to train alongside my other two dogs which are 6 years and 3 years old. They all get along really well but in the past few weeks she has taken to eating poo from both my other dogs, she leave's her own alone but is now also taking an intersest in other dogs poo aswell. She eats well and has the same diet as the other two. To top it all as she sees the other two are going to the loo she runs up to them ready to eat it, my husband and I start yelling at her, the dog that is having the poo thinks he is doing wrong and stops mid way, then trys to hide up to finish off!!!!
PLEASE can any one help??
thankyou......Linda Wooff (yes, that is my real surname!)

Lucky Rescue
January 3rd, 2006, 09:40 AM
"Wooff". How appropriate!:p

The only way to stop this very common behavior is to keep your dog on a leash or long line for now. If you see her heading for poop, you can correct her and teach her to "LEAVE IT." Pick up any poop, then she can have a free play period with the other dogs.

If she is not on leash, you have no control and no way to teach her, and as you see, this is also upsetting your other dogs.

StaceyB
January 3rd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Go with the leash thing to correct her when she does this but I would also put the 6 month old back on puppy food. The older dogs bodies may not be using everything from what they are eating. You may also want to try placing a deterent on a couple select pieces that you leave out or give the older two a product called deter to make their feces taste disgusting to the pup. I would also have the young one vet checked to make sure there is nothing going on with her. Dogs eating their own is harmless but when they begin to eat others it can be more dangerous.

mona_b
January 4th, 2006, 07:37 AM
I agree with LR about the leash(long line)

And when giving the command "leave it",I would say the pups name first.This way the other dogs will know you are not talking to them....:D

This is why I find it important to say the dogs name before the command.Especially if there is more than one dog around.

What breed is she?

If she is of a large breed,then I'll be honest and say that being on adult food should be no problem....My GSD's were on adult at 6 months.

StaceyB
January 4th, 2006, 08:57 AM
My dane was on puppy until he was almost 2yrs. He was growing very slowly and at age one still had a lot of growing left to do. He still has some growing left to do. I figure he will continue until he is about 3. Because he was growing sooo slowly it was not a problem that he remained on puppy. If he were growing too quickly then I would say that the opposite would apply. For larger breed dogs or dogs that are prone to joint problems I would put them on Lg breed puppy while they grow but I would still have them on puppy.

tenderfoot
January 4th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Practice the 'leave it' command on all sorts of things in the house and outside - so that her skills are top notch when you really need them. Anticipate the behavior and stop the thought before it becomes an action. This will start to break the cycle.
You could give MSG, pineapple juice or other products made for this issue to the other 2 dogs so their poops taste bad and that could help aswell.

mrs wooff
January 7th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Thankyou soooo much for all the advice. Things are going well and I managed to find a pill I can give the other two dogs to make their poop yuck to our little Jeannie. So watch this space! Oh, by the way, someone else told me to feed them pumpking seeds to make their poop nasty to her?
She is a x laparatso (spelt wrong!) with a king charles span, very very cute!
Thankyou once again,
King regards,
Linda Wooff (UK)