Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

7 week old kitten size of 3 week old kitten

FutureVetTech
October 11th, 2003, 10:47 PM
I have a seven week old kitten. She is tiny...about the size of, and at the same point of development as a three week old kitten. She sleeps alot, she doesn't eat very much, and seems quite fragile. I just got her from somebody who had been taking care of her and I'm worried about her.
My question is, do I need to worry about her? She has made it seven weeks. Would a runt her size have died by now? Are there some things that I can do to help her development?
I'd like to ease my mind on this, so I'd really appreciate any suggestions or knowledge on VERY undersized kittens (her twin brother is four times her size)!
Thanks a bunch!

Lucky Rescue
October 12th, 2003, 11:52 PM
Your kitten could have a serious congenital defect. What does the vet say?

FutureVetTech
October 13th, 2003, 07:41 PM
I just got her the day before yesterday, and have not been able to take her yet. I was just wondering if it was really something serious or if she'd be okay and continue growing. I'll take her to a vet soon.

Lucky Rescue
October 13th, 2003, 08:21 PM
"Failure to thrive" can be caused by any of a large variety of problems, and in tiny kittens is a serious condition, although in your case I have no idea what it could be.

Let us know what the vet says and good luck!

Carina
October 13th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Hmmm...perhaps a congenital heart defect?

The litter of puppies one of my dogs came from (a very carefully planned litter too, all health screenings done and working/conf titles acheived) was a problem litter. Two of the puppies were extremely small and frail, and both had to be PTS by 3 months old.

FutureVetTech
October 14th, 2003, 08:16 PM
I'm sad to say that little Midge died early this morning. She was too weak, and too small. She went quietly, and didn't seem to be in any pain. Thanks so much for your replies.
Shannon.

Carina
October 14th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Oh - I am sorry. Poor wee thing. At least she had good care and affection during her short life.

Lucky Rescue
October 14th, 2003, 08:35 PM
OH, I am sorry about the kitty, but not surprised....I figured it was very serious.
There was probably nothing that could have been done to save such a young kitten. They fade away so quickly.:(

FutureVetTech
October 15th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Fade away quickly is right. She was doing just fine, and then started going downhill and within 12 hours, she was gone. I'm glad I had her, even if only for a few days. Thanks again for your replies :o)