Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neuter Need to Know Checklist?

maliit_anino
January 2nd, 2006, 09:43 PM
Hey all, back again. What exactly do I need to do to care for my kitty once he's been neutered?

I mean I can muddle through the absolute basics: give him love, water & food, a quiet spot, a litter box and tons of worrying. Other than that I'm so clueless. I've read about pets being put in a different room to recuperate, but I live in a 4 1/2 apartment w/ 2 kids so there is no 'special' room for him.

All the help I can get is more than welcome.

the gang
January 2nd, 2006, 09:57 PM
keep him in your bedroom, away from the children for a day or two, he will bounce back, good luck to you keep us posted:fingerscr

Prin
January 2nd, 2006, 10:13 PM
How old is he? He's male, I assume, right? If he's a young male cat, he'll be back to "normal" really quickly. I would just be sure to keep his hind end completely dry and check if it's clean, but that's about it. If it's an older cat, it might need more peace and quiet. The surgery is quite simple and easy on males (lucky guys!).

Lucky Rescue
January 2nd, 2006, 10:34 PM
Prin is right. Don't worry about it!:)

For young males, this surgery seems to cause no discomfort at all. I"ve had many males neutered - from 5 months old to 5 years old - and not one even bothered the surgery site.

Just check it periodically to make sure there is no swelling, redness or oozing at the site.

He might be sleepy the when you bring him home. He might act weird, but that will just be a temporary reaction to the anesthetic. Just let him sleep in peace.

You're doing everyone a favour by having him neutered - especially him!

maliit_anino
January 20th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Well, it's finally done. After having our vet cancel his first appointment my boy is now a responsible young man.:eek:

Watching Whiskey walk around in a druken haze and trying to lick himself only to tip over was a sight. Thank God he gave up after half an hour and decided that laying down was a lot safer.

Now if I could only get him to take mt advice for the next 10 days and avoid windowsill hopping and leaving the surgery site alone, he won't end up wearing an e-collar.

Thanks to all of you for your input.
Later dayz.:)

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I'm so glad it went well! I hope your kitty recovers well.:)