Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog has upset stomach

oneangel
October 11th, 2003, 07:51 PM
My dog gets an upset stomach and wants to eat grass, but I am taking a trip and don't want her to eat grass where I am going. Is there anything else I can give her to ease her stomach?

Carina
October 11th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Boiled white rice and a little cooked ground meat - a great stomach settler. It is bland and provides some water, good because a dog who is throwing up or getting the runs often get a bit dehydrated.

Actually, just letting her miss a meal or two is fine and may be all she needs to help settle her stomach. Does she throw up, or get diarrhea?

If she is doing neither, and just eating grass - well she may just enjoy eating grass! So long as it's not sprayed with anything nasty, it won't hurt. I used to have a big dog who was like a goat. :) She lived to 15 years old.

oneangel
October 11th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the tip. The only way we knew she is upset is she starts to lick the carpet. I can't find out what sets her off to watch out for it. I will try your suggestion.

Carina
October 11th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Licking carpet and eating grass may not mean her stomach is upset! She just might like licking carpet and eating grass. :)

Honestly - it's a mildly neurotic/bored behaviour with some dogs, and not uncommon. If her poops are normal, she isn't throwing up, she's eating and acting normally - she is most likely fine.

If I travel (and I do) with a dog or two, I feed them less than usual, but their normal food. I don't want to have diarrhea issues while on the road, for sure!