Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much water when housetraining a puppy?

kismit
January 1st, 2006, 01:20 PM
We give nothing after 7pm and no water in the sleep area but is it okay to take the water away like we do the food after she feeds? When leaving the dog for several hours in the garage we always leave the water because the health issues are more important than a spot of pee. In the house when we are home is our key training time when we can give the most attention. What about leaving free access to the water as long as we are aroud to look for signs? And does anyone now just how long if take for a fill up of water to go through a small dog?

wdawson
January 1st, 2006, 01:43 PM
We don't feed the dogs after 8pm but they have access to water all the time as for how long it takes i would guess a couple of hours based on my dogs.

mona_b
January 1st, 2006, 06:39 PM
What about leaving free access to the water as long as we are aroud to look for signs?

I see nothing wrong with that.

When my dogs were pups,they had free access to the water 24/7.

Bushfire2000
January 1st, 2006, 06:49 PM
I've always let my puppies have water available all day. As puppies they were crated when I went to bed. I'd like to say more but my husband and both kids are sitting here waiting for their chance at the computer sorry.

CJ05
January 1st, 2006, 07:06 PM
When our pup was younger we used to take up her water are 8 or 9 at night because she seemed to want to urinate all the time and because she had had a few urinary tract infections and was having accidents in the house. After a few months she had total access to water ( except in her crate).
Some puppies like to drink water all the time just because they like the splash, rippling, reflective effects of it and tend to drink everytime they pass by the dish. Too bad they didn't have larger bladders to contain it all.

Prin
January 2nd, 2006, 01:08 AM
I have seen a few dogs who had limited access to water and they became so possessive of the water dish that it became dangerous.

I don't suggest limiting the water at any time. Thirst is a natural urge and you won't curb thirst or even urine production that significantly by reducing the access to water. There are many factors that contribute to producing more urine and water is just one (albeit a major one but sugar can cause a lot of urine too- anybody who has ever taken a glucose tolerance test on a completely empty stomach knows about that. You drink a small juice and within a half hour, you HAVE to go! :D).

What I'm trying to say is taking the water away might lead to behavior issues you don't want and it might not even stop the peeing during the night.

mona_b
January 2nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Just to add to what Prin said.

If you limit the water by taking it away at a certain time,what ends up happening is once the pup gets it in the morning(almost 10 hours without it)the pup will end up drinking the water so much faster and this "could" lead to the throwing up.Reason being,the pup is so thirsty.This could lead to health issues.Something you don't want.

StaceyB
January 2nd, 2006, 08:51 AM
I would have to agree with everyone else, don't restrict the water. They should have access to it at all times. It won't affect the potty training.

CJ05
January 2nd, 2006, 08:55 AM
I usually can't keep enough water in the dish as Daisy barks at it to let us know when its empty. :)

tenderfoot
January 2nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
Every pup is different - each has it's own level of bladder control and size of bladder so you have to learn about your individual pup.
When potty training and your pup seems to be getting up too much at night - we say feed that last meal at about 5-6 pm and then take the water up 7-8ish. Let them potty before bed and then straight to bed. They shouldn't need to get up to potty because they haven't reloaded. You could permit a small drink but try not to let them load up.
A raw fed dog tends to drink less because they are getting the needed moisture from their food so that can change things too. When you feed dry kibble you have to supply lots of water - it's like you eating a big bowl of dry cereal and then not being allowed to drink anything afterwards. You would become dehydrated very quickly.
Adult dogs should have access to water 24/7 - as they have also learned how to hold it.

RaYne
January 2nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
When we first brought home our Saint pup he would drink until he puked, then continue drinking.. and then pee every 5 minutes because he was so full and unable to it. Since he was in a litter of 9 he was used to drinking as much as he could before the bowl was empty. They would sit in it, play in it and drink it dry in minutes. Regardless of how often the bowl was filled.

So we didn't have much choice but to restrict Bubba's water somewhat. Instead of a full bowl, I'd fill it halfway. Every hour I'd give him another half a bowl. Plus he got alot of icecubes inbetween.

He still water guzzeler.. but now if his bowl happens to be empty he will ask for more. He's never shown any possessive behaviour with his water.. but he was never denied a drink.. just prevented from overdrinking in a sense.

LynnyD
January 14th, 2006, 10:11 PM
My 7-month-old labradoodle pup can only be allowed 1-2 cups water at a time or he can't hold it. He'll drink forever if we let him, and then pee forever too! I've always given water on a schedule but found he does much better with more drinks of lesser amounts throughout the day.

Jeanelle
January 16th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Our vet said it was ok to take our new puppies water away 1 hour
before bedtime as long as she drinks plenty during the day (which she does
drink constantly throughout the day) and she has had no problems.