Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog vomits after ice or cold water

Darby's Mom
January 1st, 2006, 10:40 AM
My golden retriever has eaten ice all of his life (7 yrs) as a treat. Suddenly, he throws up within 30 seconds if he eats ice or drinks a large amount of cold water. He can eat food and small amounts of water with no problem. His stools are normal and acts fine and has a good appetite. My vet has done blood work, temperature, a full body examine, and xrays--all normal. He has tried antibiotics and and anti-inflamatories. Next step is a scope, but frankly the vet is stumped and so are we. Do you have any suggested diagnosis?

Prin
January 1st, 2006, 11:28 PM
My doggies "hork" when they eat too much snow... I say "hork" because it's not throwing up, it's kind of coughing up or trying to cough up something... But I never thought anything of it. They only do it after eating snow, so if I don't let them eat snow, they won't do it.

growler~GateKeeper
May 18th, 2007, 12:04 AM
My Dal/Lab cross also got ice cubes as a treat, but started vomiting immediately after eating them when he was around the age of 9 yrs. It never happened with water, but we always made sure it wasn't too cold. Sorry no solution for you, we just stopped giving him ice cubes :sad:

Loves Labs
May 18th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Hi there - my 1.5 yr old Black lab LOVES to eat ice cubes as a treat. Just within the last few months he started vomiting immediately after eating them. I can't offer an explanation either, but just wanted you to know you are not alone!

Our solution was the obvious one - to stop giving him the ice - but I feel so bad because out of habit he comes running everytime he hears the crack of the ice cube tray. He sits there looking so sad....but I have to resist - for his sake and mine. Also - once in a while he will vomit up water - but I think that is due to taking in too much, too fast...typical lab-style.

JanM
May 18th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Both my Goldens will vomit if they drink ice cold water - which happens when we are walking near streams in the early spring with the run-off. I don't believe there's any physical problem with this - it's just the cold that triggers them.

mummummum
May 18th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Ice cold anything causes spasms particularly on an empty stomach. I'm surprized your vet hasn't said anything about the wearing effects of chewing ice on tooth enamel.

mydogs
May 18th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Ditto,my Dane couldn't eat ice ,cold water and ice cream without vomiting either, I think it's a spasm stomach. just stop giving it:)

Dog Dancer
May 18th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't worry about it either. My lab will vomit if she eats anything that is too hot temperature wise, or drinks water that is too cold. Just stomach spasm things going on. You've done the required steps to rule out anything obvious, like everyone else said, stop giving the ice cubes.

SableCollie
May 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Lobo vomits anything that is hot (meaning warmer than room temp), so I just don't give him anything that warm. I suggest you just don't give doggie any ice or ice cold water. Most dogs don't mind drinking room temperature water. And if he vomits after drinking a large amount, after he has exercised, just offer him small amounts of water every 5 minutes until he's no longer thirsty.

gomez
May 18th, 2007, 08:42 PM
My golden retriever has eaten ice all of his life (7 yrs) as a treat. Suddenly, he throws up within 30 seconds if he eats ice or drinks a large amount of cold water. He can eat food and small amounts of water with no problem. His stools are normal and acts fine and has a good appetite. My vet has done blood work, temperature, a full body examine, and xrays--all normal. He has tried antibiotics and and anti-inflamatories. Next step is a scope, but frankly the vet is stumped and so are we. Do you have any suggested diagnosis?

Why put your poor doggie through all these tests? Poor guy, a scope is really uncomfortable!

Just don't give him ice or cold water....

Gomez also sometimes spews a bit of froth when he drinks his whole water bowl at once -