Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A really good pet carrier.

maliit_anino
December 31st, 2005, 08:46 PM
Um, hi. Having just recently joined the "pet owner's" of the world, I'm in need of help. I would like to know of any really good pet carriers especially for cold weather.

Thanks.

BMDLuver
January 1st, 2006, 06:47 AM
The best thing to do is make a carrier cosy. You decide which carrier you like and then you go to a fabric store and pick out a nice piece of material as well as some of the sheet batting. You measure each side and cut 2 pieces of material per side plus one piece of batting, make sure you allow an extra inch all around then dart each three piece together. Next pin each one of these pieces together leaving the front opening one as a flap that you can roll up and tie with little strips. Stitch it all up and voila, you have a carrier cozy for cold days. Sew little strips of fabric underneath the front flap and on top of the front flap so that it can roll and be tied.

Lucky Rescue
January 1st, 2006, 10:40 AM
Is this carrier for an adult cat? If so, and it's only for short trips, you don't need to insulate it since cats tolerate cold very well - much better than they tolerate heat.

If it's for a small dog with little hair, then do what BMDLuver says. It sounds like she's got it down pat!:p

maliit_anino
January 2nd, 2006, 04:40 AM
Unfortunately I can't sew worth a lick. My kitten almost 6 mths old and already starting to brush the top of the soft carrier, which has a 20 lbs. weight limit. I've considered lining it with his fleece blanket but wasn't sure if that was enough since it has two uncovered mesh openings. As he's about to be neutered I wanted something he would be comfy and warm in.

mona_b
January 2nd, 2006, 07:45 AM
I just use the regular plastic pet carrier for taking the cats to the vets.I have a fleese blanket in there for them.And all I do(if it's cold) is cover the top with another one while taking them out from the house to the car....:)

chico2
January 2nd, 2006, 08:13 AM
I think your kitty will be ok in your current carrier,unless you are walking with him across Montreal:D
I have both the hard plastic carriers and the soft bag-like one and my cats seem to prefer the bag type,but they only go from the car to the vet,no problem with the cold.
Anyway,it's hard to figure out which one they like best,they howl in the car,as if I was torturing them and I swear the whole city can hear them:D
I am glad you care enough about your new little friend,to be concerned about the cold,but he'll be fine,except for the loss of his jewels:thumbs up which is a good thing!!

StaceyB
January 2nd, 2006, 08:19 AM
You can purchase the cozy at the pet store. I believe I saw one at Petcetera.

maliit_anino
January 2nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks every1 for the info. While I don't intentionally plan to cart Whiskey across town after what I went through w/the 1998 icestorm and 1 kid I don't plan on taking any chances. ;) Now I just wonder I'll have to work to get my sister to send them for me expresspost from TO? :D