Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Your Favorite Famous Dog

papillonmama
December 31st, 2005, 02:49 PM
Well, when asked favourite dog breeds we never owned, I got to thinking about my fav's since I was a kid, and where that favortism came from. For me, when I was a kid, I liked watching any show on TV that had a dog in it. Not much choices, we had three channels, and one I couldn't understand cause it was french.

Anyhoo.... My fav from childhood was Barkley from Sesame Street. I loved how he would jump up and down, so sweet and loving. Also The littlest hobo, he was so smart!

Does anyone else have a favorite famous dog or animal?

Bushfire2000
December 31st, 2005, 02:55 PM
Hands down favorite was Rin Tin Tin. I don't know how old I would have been but that was the first TV dog I remember even before Lassie. In the late sixties early seventies my friends and I would act out the parts from "Get Smart" and we would fight about who got to be the Dog sorry don't remember what number he was "Agent 89" comes to mind but probably isn't right.

glasslass
December 31st, 2005, 03:50 PM
Lady and the Tramp! I grew up with 3 Cockers - Lady, Rusty & Blondie. That movie was responsible for Cockers being the most popular breed for years.

Prin
December 31st, 2005, 03:53 PM
For me, it's Snots from National Lampoon's Christmas vacation, or the two dogs from Outward Bound (you know, the movie with Michael J Fox's voice?).

Oh and the dog on the Muppets (the piano playing one) but I don't remember his name...

joeysmama
December 31st, 2005, 04:15 PM
First of all I'm jealous of those of you who watched Sesame Street when you were kids. I watched Sesame Street WITH my kids. So that gives you an idea of how old I am. :p

I liked Barkley too. The friednliness and big sweet dog personality. (I now have a teeny tiny version of Barkley, but he's just as friendly and bouncy !) I think the piano playing dog is Fozzy !

Favorite famous dogs would have to be Murray from Mad About You and Asta from the Thin Man series. (Does anyone know what breeds those dogs are? )

chico2
December 31st, 2005, 04:46 PM
My favorite is Hootch(Sp?)from Turner and Hootch an adorable,slobbering big doggie:love:
I met an English Mastiff in the store the other day,he was HUGE at only 9 month,but sooo sweet:love:

raingirl
December 31st, 2005, 04:57 PM
I agree with Murray from mad about you (I loved that show!)

joeysmama
December 31st, 2005, 05:03 PM
Raingirl, me too ! I think "Mad About You" is the best show ever !!!

Prin
December 31st, 2005, 07:56 PM
I totally forgot about Murray! I think he was Layla's brother (Puppyluv's Layla). He was a mutt for sure.

joeysmama
December 31st, 2005, 08:32 PM
He was a really beautiful mutt wasn't he?? Layla is Murray's sister? I'll bet she's a beautiful dog as well. Well actually aren't most dogs gorgeous in one way or another ?? :love:

amber416
December 31st, 2005, 09:19 PM
I'm going to have to go with Lady and the Tramp as well, but not Lady. My absolute favorite is Trusty (the hound that lost his sense of smell). That brings me to my very favorite famous cats...Si and Am, the evil, but very clever Siamese cats that ruin Lady's house and then blame it on her. I think they are the reason i have always wanted a Siamese :)

mona_b
December 31st, 2005, 09:53 PM
I have to agree with Rin Tin Tin.And I'm not saying this cause he's a GSD.....:D

And I am happy to say that his lineage still continues....:)

Murray is my second fave...Mad about you was a GREAT show.

Here is Murray.Or should I say Maui.......:D

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/mad/fam_murray.html

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 31st, 2005, 10:16 PM
I love Bethoven, and Eddie
Also what was the dogs name on the Brady Bunch???... its driving me crazy now. :crazy:

and of course there is Dino, who wouldnt love a greeting like the one Fred gets every day.

mona_b
December 31st, 2005, 10:21 PM
It was Tiger......:D

joeysmama
December 31st, 2005, 10:53 PM
Oh I forgot about Dino !! We almost named Cooper Dino, after The Flintstones. And short for Houdini since he gets into tight spots while mischief making.

Oh what was the name of the dog on The Little Rascals??

mona_b
December 31st, 2005, 11:04 PM
Oh what was the name of the dog on The Little Rascals??

Petey......:D

t.pettet
December 31st, 2005, 11:05 PM
Just loved Lassie as a kid and drove my mum crazy every birthday and X-Mas for a collie. Does anyone remember Bullet? Roy Rogers and Dale Evan's German Shepherd.

shannonRN
January 1st, 2006, 12:40 AM
Absolutely, 100% SNOOPY!!!!!!!!!!! with Eddie (from Frasier) coming in a very distant second.

glasslass
January 1st, 2006, 12:46 AM
I loved Benji too.

Byrd
January 1st, 2006, 03:02 AM
A wolf/malamute cross named Jed... he worked for Disney and can be seen in such movies as The Journey of Natty Gann, where he played "Wolf". I saw that movie for the first time when I was 12, fell in love with him, badly wanted a Wolf of my own.... hence where the name for my first dog came from.

He also played White Fang in the movie and lived from 1977 to 1995 (just looked him up on imdb)

http://cinematracks.ifrance.com/curiosidades/nattygannhorner.jpg

LM1313
January 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM
Pongo and Missis from The Hundred and One Dalmations, but especially Missis . . . who had trouble telling right from left, especially right, and thought miracle was another name for a moving van. :D

~LM~

hounds003
January 1st, 2006, 07:43 PM
Duke from the Beverly Hillbillies was my heart throb.....and Goofy too! Go figure!:D

doggy lover
January 1st, 2006, 08:05 PM
I loved Lassie as a kid, and I love the border collie Nana in Snow dogs. She wants to be a lead sled dog, and ends up showing them that she can do it. Just goes to show you that we can do what ever we want if we put our minds to it. I loved white fang too.

t.pettet
January 1st, 2006, 08:24 PM
Old Yeller. Very sad ending though.

Byrd
January 1st, 2006, 08:57 PM
NANA!!! :love:

Dogastrophe
January 1st, 2006, 09:15 PM
Some of my favs are:
Eddie from Fraser;
Petey from Little Rascals;
Littlest Hobo and;
Toto from Wizard of Oz

Prin
January 2nd, 2006, 12:50 AM
I forgot Brian from the Family Guy- but he's more of an intellectual doggy friend...:D

mona_b
January 2nd, 2006, 09:20 AM
I got a chance to meet London from the Littlest Hobo...The show was filmed in Toronto and in the area where I went to High School..:)

Prin
January 2nd, 2006, 07:42 PM
Mona, you made me think of Deifenbaker from Due South. That doggy is a great doggy.:)

Bushfire2000
January 2nd, 2006, 09:21 PM
Asta from the Thin Man Was a JRT wasn't he?

mona_b
January 2nd, 2006, 10:17 PM
Mona, you made me think of Deifenbaker from Due South. That doggy is a great doggy.:)

I'll let you in on a little secret.....:)

they were all females

:D

Prin
January 2nd, 2006, 10:26 PM
**hyperventilates into a paper bag** :eek: What? Is it your job to kill all my illusions? We should talk about my career aspirations- see what you have to say about that..:evil:

I'm putting Mona on my "ignore list" from now on.

*IGNORE!*

Mona who?
Dief. What a good boy he is! Isn't he?
:D :clown:

mona_b
January 2nd, 2006, 10:32 PM
OMG I am SOOOOOOOO SORRY.

Goes on my knees and pleads to Prin.

PLEASE PLEASE forgive me for opening my BIG mouth...I PROMISE I will keep it shut from now on.I will not give away any more secrets........My Bad....:sad: :(

I guess the Coffee and Donuts are off now.

:D :p

glasslass
January 2nd, 2006, 10:33 PM
I remember hearing all the Lassies were male. Why was that?

Prin
January 2nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
OMG I am SOOOOOOOO SORRY.
Goes on my knees and pleads to Prin.
PLEASE PLEASE forgive me for opening my BIG mouth...I PROMISE I will keep it shut from now on.I will not give away any more secrets........My Bad....:sad: :(
I guess the Coffee and Donuts are off now.
:D :p

What? I can't hear you. You're on ignore, remember?:D
I kind of figured. Any time a doggy has to jump or they show a side view it's always a female. The beagle in the movie "Cats and Dogs" was a female too. People are so sensitive that you have to sensor the male doggy members by using a female doggy instead. :rolleyes: (Females are better behaved though...)

I don't know about lassie though... She was before my time... I was born after they invented color.

mona_b
January 2nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
What? I can't hear you. You're on ignore, remember?

:p :D

I heard that too glasslass.But not sure why they were males.

Prin
January 2nd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Maybe the size? Maybe they wanted a bigger lassie? Plus all that fur covers big Joe, so sensorship wouldn't be a factor...

mona_b
January 2nd, 2006, 11:42 PM
You could be right about that Prin.

Oh by the way,I'm going to try and find the pics I took of Deif when I was on the set visiting Paul......:)

Prin
January 2nd, 2006, 11:44 PM
oooooooo Are you going to post the pics of Paul from when you were working with Dief too?:D

LM1313
January 3rd, 2006, 01:54 AM
Gasp, you knew Paul? And Dief? I loved that show!

Prin
January 3rd, 2006, 02:11 AM
Ya, she likes to brag. :D Seriously though, to be Mona for a day must be so fun!! You get to meet all sorts of characters and you get to drive fast and not get caught by the cops...:evil:

oooo and you get to park wherever you want. And you get go eat donuts all day and not get fat 'cause as soon as you take one bite, you have to run a mile after some cooky crackhead. Yey! :highfive: Woohoo!

I'm curious about those pics though...:o

catsnatcher-CDN
January 3rd, 2006, 02:26 AM
My favorite famous dogs are Zeus and Appollo from Magnum P.I.. Dobies are my favorite breed!

Prin
January 3rd, 2006, 02:29 AM
I forgot about them. They were so obedient too. :) I like the dog in Spanglish too... I don't remember his name but he was a yellow lab.:)

mona_b
January 3rd, 2006, 08:24 AM
Me brag?????? NEVER............:D :p

Trust me,it's not all fun.....:(

And I don't speed...Remember,the law is the law and it applies to us too.....;)

I actually wasn't working on the set...I just went to go bug him....:D

Ooops,this is considered threadjacking so I will stop now.....:D

I will find those pics though....:)

Anyone ever see the movie The Amazing Dobermans?...They were beautiful dogs..And VERY well trained.

happycats
January 3rd, 2006, 08:59 AM
Petey was my favorite!!! but I loved Benji too!!

Rottielover
January 3rd, 2006, 09:19 AM
Gotta love hootch.....Or the GS from K-9

CyberKitten
January 3rd, 2006, 11:20 AM
I still love Snoopy!! And the lab from the book "The Incredible Journey" - movie was Homeward Bound. And the other dog that died, ahhhh!! Sad book but I loved the Siamese too of course!!! My all time fav famous animal is DC of That Darn Cat!! And Garfield, lol

Lissa
January 3rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
My favourite is Bodger, the bull Terrier from the Incredible Journey...

But I really like Dan and Ann from Where the Red Fern Grows too!

Prin
January 3rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
What? Nobody likes Odie from Garfield? I always resented him because he wasn't secretly smart or anything. He was just there to make the cat look good. :rolleyes:

Bushfire2000
January 5th, 2006, 12:00 AM
The "Lassie" being Laddies explanation I was given long ago had something to do with the dogs coats and shedding. It's a mystery now.

mona_b
January 5th, 2006, 12:03 AM
I will need to ask my BIL....He"s Scottish.He came to Canada when he was 13.......:)

joeysmama
January 5th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I googled the info on Lassie being males and this is what I came up with.

"All the dogs portraying Lassie have been male. A female collie was hired to play the lead in Lassie Come Home, but when an opportunity came to film "Lassie" negotiating some rapids, the female reportedly would have nothing to do with the rushing water. Rudd Weatherwax's collie "Pal" was substituted, and not only stole the stunt but won the role. Weatherwax continued to use male collies in the role for a good reason: both sexes shed in the summer (when most movies and television shows traditionally film most of their episodes), but since the male has a thicker coat, he wouldn't look so scrawny during filming. Also, fans tend to think of Lassie as a "big heroic dog." Female collies are usually 10-15 pounds lighter than their male counterparts, therefore a male dog playing Lassie would look more impressive. Female collies were not ignored because they are any less intelligent; in fact, some of Lassie's stunt doubles have been females."

mona_b
January 5th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Thanks.That just saved me a long distance call.........:D

CJ05
January 7th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I always liked the Littlest Hobo.

papillonmama
January 7th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I was watching Mr.Dressup with my kids the other day, and I realized that I forgot Finnigan!:eek: Yeah it's obscure, but hey, it was another fav.

I know Casey went to school, I wonder what happened to Finnigan?

Beautygirl
January 12th, 2006, 01:23 PM
The piano playing dog on The Muppets was Ralph.

I loved the dog playing Odie on Garfield:The Movie.

babyrocky1
January 12th, 2006, 09:43 PM
My favorite is Hootch(Sp?)from Turner and Hootch an adorable,slobbering big doggie:love:
I met an English Mastiff in the store the other day,he was HUGE at only 9 month,but sooo sweet:love:Mine too!!!!!! I met Hootch...no I did really...I was walking down Queen street and a limo pulled up, they rolled out a red carpet and a bunch of us gathered around to see who was going to get out, it was outside the Sheridon Hotel that has a movie theatre in it...we waited forever, and finally a Tuxedo Clad Hootch popped out of the limo and smiled graciously as he passed us on the way into the premier!:pawprint: :cool: :cool:

breeze
January 23rd, 2007, 01:34 AM
There was soooo many how can you chose just one !!! :shrug:

brandynva
January 23rd, 2007, 07:30 AM
What about Spud Mackenzie?? Remember him from the late 80's early 90's. I can't remember what he advertised though. Beer maybe? I remember going to the beach and his face was everywhere!

And Lassie is an all time favorite!

papillonmama
January 23rd, 2007, 11:05 AM
Spud Mackenzie!! Which also reminds me of Blue, Don Cherry's dog.

SARAH
January 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
Does anyone remember Bullet? Roy Rogers and Dale Evan's German Shepherd.

Absolutely!

I like poor old Rantamplan as well, Lucky Luke's "stoopidest dog in the West" mutt! (cartoon)

brandynva
January 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
And Blue reminds me of Blue from Blue's Clue's. :cloud9: I loved that show when my kids were little. That and Little Bear. :cloud9:

http://www.andrejr.com/images/et_rec_char_blues_main2.gif

Byrd
January 23rd, 2007, 06:59 PM
He's not really famous, but I like the dog from A Far Off Place.

Lukka'sma
January 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Dreyfuss from the show Empty Nest. It starred Richard Mulligan as a doctor or something like that. He also played in a show called Soap. Funny funny show

erykah1310
January 25th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I have no idea why i didnt reply to this thread???? ( I dont think i did anyway):o

any way, my favorite was White Fang:thumbs up
second favorite ( very close second) Lassie:cloud9: not big on Collies but hw ( she) was soooooo purdy:cloud9: :lovestruck:

Kristin7
January 25th, 2007, 09:14 PM
hmmm... definitely Lassie (from the original book). Odie of Garfield fame. Rin Tin Tin was also one of my favorites but I would have forgotten if someone else had not mentioned in other posts. Great dog!! Other dogs that I used to read about that I liked were Balto (although I see a movie was made about that one), White Fang, Greyfrairs Bobby, and of course Benji.

we3beagles
January 26th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Snoopy, Shiloh, Brain from Inspector Gadget, the little beagle from Cats and Dogs. Actually, I love any dogs on camera. They all give me warm fuzzies. :lovestruck: Okay, maybe not Kujo.:eek:

Hunter's_owner
January 26th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Omg, I forgot Brain from Inspector Gadget. Yeah I liked him, I also am a big lover of Snoopy:D

OntarioGreys
January 27th, 2007, 09:39 AM
There was 2 different Littlest Hobo series my favorite was the first the 1063 to 65 series London was the lead dog but their were others that played the role as well who really did not get acknowledged in the shows, Lance and Thorn who toured with London(for some reason a Jack comes to mind also???) I need to find the old autographed photos I have buried somewhere. before the second series, there also was a second London to become part of his family but the 1970s he had 7 dogs 5 males and 2 females that acted in the shows

Charles P. Eisenmann was an amazing man for his time when it came to views of raising animals and very nice person to sit down and talk to, I had met him in the late 60's and again sometime in the mid 70's but even in the 60's he was promoting the idea the view that positive training would make dogs want to please, and was trying to teach people even then not to strike dogs with rolled up newspapers as correction and that is was not necessary to rub dogs noses in their messes, training techniques that were so common for the time, his talk and explanations of why even as a child made a heck alot of sense to me and helped form my own views on raising dogs. So he as his dogs made a huge impact on me.

My other favorite back way back when was Big Red about an Irish Setter a movie put out by Disney studios back in the 1960's interestingly from checking the reviews it was also filmed in canada, Quebec to be exact.

Benji was a great movie , my son was pretty young at the time I took him to see it at the theater and it sure held his interest through out, not something I say for a whole of movies I took him too. :rolleyes:

normag
January 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I would say Lassie was my very favourite.:dog:

Toonces
January 27th, 2007, 11:54 AM
anyone remember Rudy the GSD from the show Katts and Dog? I was totally smitten with that dog:cloud9: