Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Edmonton vet info & question

dogznfish
December 31st, 2005, 09:43 AM
Good morning everyone! Happy New Year!

Seeing how I haven't posted for quite some time but I have a good reason, the family has packed up and we are now settled here in Edmonton. Going to check out a dog park today I think.

I do have a question though to the Edmontonians though. Is heartworm seen quite often here? It was never seen down in Southern Alberta and my vets usually only recommended using a preventative if you were going to an area where it was more prevalent. However I'd like to know now so I can start them prior to the mozzie season.

Can anyone also recommend a vet clinic? Ideally I'd like a smaller clinic where the vets actually talk to you and are very dog and people friendly, not just run in, give vacs, check up , run out. I'm very interested in holistic/naturopath vets as well. I've been trying to research online and through my agility contacts as well.

So far, I'm loving Edmonton! There's so much to do and see and I'm anxiously awaiting the snow!

Cheerios!
Deanna

Beetlecat
December 31st, 2005, 04:40 PM
I was told not to worry about heartworm, unless you were traveling to a warmer climate with your dog. It is too cold here. Rabies is also not needed in the city.

Can't help with the vet though, the only vet here my dog has been to is the spay clinic :) I buy his shots at the G&E pharmacy, and do them myself.

Edited to say, this is a great city to own a dog in. With the long river valley to hike, bike, and run in and and the 150+ dog parks to play in. Chances are, you live next to something dog related :)

Sadie's Mom
January 4th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Mill Creek Vet is supposedly excellent from everything I've heard. I had been taking Sadie out to Spruce Grove, where I had the most amazing vet. But it's just too far to go in case of emergency. So I've just switched her file over to Mill Creek. They only do vaccinations every three years, which was one of my other big reasons for switching.

Here's their site if you're interested http://millcreekvet.com/