Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Reasons for getting a second dog/cat

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 31st, 2005, 07:07 AM
What are everyones reasons for getting a second dog and or cat ?

Is it so they can keep each other company ?

Is it because it is working out so well you want another one ?

Did you get a similar dog or a totally different one, is it true that same breed dogs recognise each other and may get along better. ? (read it somewhere)

How did you test out the dogs first before making your decision ?

How long did you have your dog and how old was your dog before you added to the family ?

Toonces
December 31st, 2005, 08:24 AM
We adopted our 2 dogs at the same time, they are litter mates and were 1.5 yrs old when we got them and the thought of seperating them did not even occur. I had always wanted 2 dogs so I guess I lucked out with my 2 girls.

I got another cat when Toonces was about 14 yrs old, I brought home a tiny kitten and he loved him so much, he thought he was his momma, would even let Cosmo try to nurse from him. Cosmo died at the young age of 1. He went fast, he died of heart disease. Toonces was devastated and searched for him for weeks and cried all the time so we got another kitty and he was tickled pink.

We foster GSDS but before we bring one home from the shelter we always take our dogs for a meeting to make sure they get along, since we have 2 females we only foster males and we don't take puppies or really young dogs because my 2 have zero tolerance for pups. The youngest dog we had was Reilly he was 2 and they didn't mind him most of the time but when he started to act up there would be some curled lips at times so we did keep them seperated in the day time while we were not home.

My 2 prefer dogs the same age as them or older so that is what we foster. We are also very carefull at first at feeding times, mine have no food agression but we never know about the fosters at first so they are fed in seperate corners untill we know they can all eat together, so far so good 5 fosters later and no problems. We also keep a close eye on toys and bones because you never know how they will react if someone tries to steal their toy. Our girls Brandy has a nic name "Captin Bringdown" she takes all of the toys and lays on them so noone can have any fun but if we take them away and give them to another dog she is fine.

Frenchy
December 31st, 2005, 09:50 AM
When i got Bailey,he was sooo nice that I decided to get a second one (Daisy) to keep him company and because goldens are like chips and you can never just have one.It worked out perfectly.I fell less guilty to leave for work.They are not alone,they have eachother.And it's not more work unless you get them both at the same time as puppies.When they are adult,it's a lot easier.But you have to be carefull not to get "addicted".I'm fostering an 8 yr old golden,Sam,and him and Bailey are playing non stop and I've become very attached to him so now,I'm thinking,why not a third......I'm even trading my car for a station just in case!If you are thinking of getting another cocker,why not?If you are like me and look at the petfinder and other rescue group,I am sure you will find a dog that needs you as much as you need him and will be a perfect match for Joey.For the age thing,Bailey was about 5-6 yr old when I got him and 6 months later,I got Daisy when she was 8 yr old.They got used to eachother real quick.

Prin
December 31st, 2005, 03:08 PM
What are everyones reasons for getting a second dog and or cat ?

Is it so they can keep each other company ? Yes. Boo had super separation anxiety and Jemma did to at her previous owner's house and they got along so well...

Is it because it is working out so well you want another one ? Boo was a handful. He couldn't love humans. He was too dog oriented that it was hard to train him. We got Jemma so that the bond would be there and he wouldn't have to worry about it. With a dog around all the time, he listened to us way more.

Did you get a similar dog or a totally different one, is it true that same breed dogs recognise each other and may get along better. ? (read it somewhere) I think they do recognize each other. At our park, the huskies all group up, the spaniels all group up and the pointers all group up. They seem to know each other. Jemma and Boo are very different though. I think Jemma's ideal life doggy would be a husky and Boo's would be Jemma.:o

How did you test out the dogs first before making your decision ?We took Jemma for a test weekend and then a week first to see if they got along well. And they did.

How long did you have your dog and how old was your dog before you added to the family ?We had Boo for about 6 months when we got Jemma and he was about a year old and she was a year and a half. She was older, faster and more dominant and he was younger, bigger but more aloof and submissive.

chico2
December 31st, 2005, 03:52 PM
Reason for getting one,two,three cats...because I LOVE them and would have more+a couple of dogs,or at least one,if it was possible:love:

Prin
December 31st, 2005, 06:54 PM
There's that too... The love. I was thinking far more practically. I'd have at least one more around here if the man wasn't so allergic. The more doggies the merrier.:)

vfrohloff
January 1st, 2006, 10:40 AM
Well, my DH says I have so many pets because I'm a nut job! He's only partially right. We got Sophie our 2nd Greyhound to keep Benny company because he had really bad separation anxiety. He used to pee and poop on the floor when we were out, even if I went to the store for 10 minutes. As for the cats, I got all of them at different times and not because I wanted more cats. It was never a case of "I think I'll go get another cat because 5 is not enough", they were just all in bad situations and needed someone to help them.

Sunkist/Winnie
January 3rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
I got Winnie because I was living on my own and wanted my own fur baby. I got Sunkist a year later because I had a longer commute and I thought Winnie might be lonely as I was away for longer periods of time.

4 years later and I'm still not sure if things worked out the way I had hoped. On the good days the two of them will sit on the same bed, or sofa together, maybe even get close enough to take a sniff of each other. On the not so good days Winnie will hiss at Sunkist if she walks by her, on the very bad days Winnie will hunt Sunkist down in the house a pick a fight.

But I secretly think they get along better when no one is home and there is no compettition between them as to who is getting the love from the humans.