Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Breeders, Rescues, and Strays

LM1313
December 30th, 2005, 06:13 PM
So, where did you guys get your animals? From a breeder? From the animals shelter? As a stray? From a friend? Other?

Here are mine:

Dr. Who (kitty, deceased) - Stray, sort of. We knew he'd been a housepet because he was neutered. Later it turned out that he had belonged to someone a few streets away and had just decided he liked us better! O_O

Muffy (kitty, deceased) - Stray, came scratching on our door the day after Thanksgiving. Thought she was pregnant but turned out to be bloated from hunger. Part of a half-grown litter dumped in the neighborhood (or so we guessed from all the Muffy-like cats that suddenly were in the neighborhood.)

Mandy (doggy, deceased) - Adopted from the animal shelter, had been turned in by owners. Died of a heart failure after only a few weeks with us, cause unknown. (Probably genetic.)

Ebony (doggy) - Adopted from the animal shelter. Dumped alongside a highway at three months with her two sisters.

Phantom (kitty) - Adopted from the humane society.

Booster (kitty) - Adopted from the animal shelter. Left in their dropbox cages during the night.

Remy (kitty) - Adopted from the animal shelter. Left in their dropbox cages during the night. (Different litter.)

catsnatcher-CDN
December 30th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Max - dog - part Doberman, part nuts; he came from the SPCA and was returned 3 times.

Kibo - kitty - found in garbage bag in the city garbage bin at 2 weeks old. Had to hand feed him and his siblings.

Dora - kitty - found poisoned at 2 weeks old. Had to hand feed her too. Luckily at the same time as the garbage kitties.

Chinchilla - feral cat - found sick under my balcony. Was the last surviving kitty of the litter found too late. He hates us all except for the dog who he waits for at the door everytime we take him for a walk.

mafiaprincess
December 30th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Cider, dog - pet store, but was a rescue to me, because my roomate was going to take her to the pound when she couldn't look after her anymore.

Now that she is grown.. I can see if she had been thrown in the pound she would have been rehomed a few times, and possibly PTS.. because of her screwy temperment.

Lucky Rescue
December 30th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Cats - too numerous to name - all stray, feral or abandoned.

Dog - Polo - dumped on us by neighbour who abused/neglected him and threatened to send him to the SPCA.

Dog - Chloe - from thoroughly fraudulent, dispicable and abusive scumbag who called herself a rescue and who is probably still abusing animals in Ontario.:mad:

Rats - unfortunately from pet store, since I didn't know rats could be obtained other places.

divinecalamity
December 30th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Emmit and Ryelee...cats..from a pet store

Corey...dog..major mutt from the SPCA

Zoe...AmStaff..from a breeder

I regret getting my kitties from a pet store but I love them very much

Previous pets were from the SPCA and one other breeder

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 30th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Joey came from a breeder, he was an adult re-home. We got him because she decided not to use him in her breeding program, as he was to closely related to the other English Cockers that he would have been bred with. I would like to get a female one day, and I am keeping my eye open for a rescue, although they are somewhat hard to come by. I would also consider a small breed female too. We will just have to wait and see.

cpietra16
December 30th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Winnie-golden lab. She was found under a trailer with her other siblings.
Nicki- cat who runs the house and was found at 1.5weeks in a very cougar infested area...
Crunchie-cat who is too laid back and was a foster....9 years ago
Misty- cat and is presently MIA. She too was a foster...9 years ago.
Tess- cat from the SPCA, who thought she was a senior cat but turned out to be between 2-4 years old.
Kirby and Firby- 2 sisters-cats who I am presently fostering:D

papillonmama
December 30th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Slim Dusty & Biff - littermates, given to me by hubby's friend

Dory, papillon - breeder

Trigs, pittie - bought (/saved) him from petstore where he was dying of parvo!

How far back are we going? These are past pets I've loved

Cleo, DSH (deceased) - rescued from our alleyway as a kitten

Boo Boo, pittie (stolen by dastardly ex) - got her from someone I knew who didn't want to put any time into training or money into feeding her!:eek:

Baby, DLH and Tubby, DSH (deceased) - found in Kensington Market as kittens in the winter, area of the city with an enormous amount of strays.

Lucky, English Springer Spaniel (deceased childhood companion) - breeder

Nimohnse, bearded collie mix (deceased first dog as a child) - left at the end of our driveway

shannonRN
December 30th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Well, our household includes 2 cats from shelters, 1 dog from a shelter, 1 dog from a breeder, and both the humans are rescues :)

heather331
December 31st, 2005, 02:55 AM
Dakota - animal shelter
Miss Maui - humane society
Luna - animal shelter

these are just the pets that i have had on my own (i'm just 21 :rolleyes: )

Lise
December 31st, 2005, 08:15 AM
Tessa,beardie from a breeder.Molly,cairn from rescue.Nell,collie from a rescue.Nim,Grom and Gwynny rex cats from a breeder.Cocoa himalayan and Silver domestic were dumped because they shed too much.Jack and Rio two of our horses from rescue,Folly the amazing mule is also out of rescue.Happy Appy ,another horse was bought because my oldest daughter events with him.Halliday,Plant and Page our ducks were rescues.The chickens came from all over the place,our guinea hens were from a farm that raises them for meat.Button quails were from auction.Big quail that lives in my bedroom and thinks she's human came from rescue.Our rats were from breeders.Degus were from rescue.Cockatiels were rescues,lovebird was a rescue,quaker was a rescue(they are all pretty loud when they feel like it.)My greys were both from breeders and Sticky lizard ,the gecko was from a pet store as were the fish.I think that's every one!

chico2
December 31st, 2005, 08:18 AM
The dogs and cats I had a looong time ago were all from a Pet-Shop,except my Sammy(longhaired black kitty)who came from HS.
This was before I,like so many other people knew the horror of puppy-mills etc...
My current kitties:Rocky 10yrs was a barn-cat baby,given to me by a friend.
Chico 8yrs,I too unfortunately got from a pet-shop.They only had one kitten and I made the BIG mistake of picking him up.
I heard his crying as I was leaving the store and it followed me all the way home.
With the prospect of this little thing spending a long weekend alone at the store,I went and got him,I just had too..:sad:
Vinnie 3yrs,was found in an industrial park on a cold fall day at about 8 weeks old by some friends and although I did not want a third cat,I don't regret taking this little clown for a minute:love:
I have since not once put a foot in any store that sells animals and I never will again,here in Oakville I know of one store selling puppies and kittens:sad:

vfrohloff
December 31st, 2005, 09:36 AM
Ok, this could be a long one!

Dogs: Benny and Sophie both from Greyhound Rescue Quebec.

Cats:
Minew: From a pet store. She had ear mites and ringworm and the *&^%$#@ woman who owned the store said she had distemper (she didn't) and was going to put her down. I stole the kitten and had her store shut down for neglecting the animals ;)

Martin: I was looking for my lost cat and a woman phoned me at 1 am to say she had seen my ad in the paper and was sure she had my tabby cat on her doorstep. So I went and there was Martin, pure white, nothing tabby about him. I think I got suckered, but he came home with me.

Charlene: Was abandoned at the vet and was up for adoption for 6 months. They were going to put her down becasue no one wanted her so I took her.

Petunia: Found her on the side of the road at 3 weeks old. I think she was the runt and her mother left her. The vet said she was close to death.

Tobey: Out riding my horse and this kitten fell out of a tree. I picked her up and rode back to the barn with her. I later told my husband that it's true, cats really do grow on trees!

Benson: I was originally told he was put up for adoption at the vet by his owner of 7 years who didn't want him. I have since found out that the guy dropped him off to be put down and when the vet went to do it Benson was purring so loudly and was flumping himself affectionately on the table that the vet couldn't bring herself to do it. So I got him just before Xmas.

Prin
December 31st, 2005, 01:42 PM
I haven't had that many pets (they all lived a long time), but here goes:

Jemma- found her on leuleu.qc.ca (a site that has since turned into the spot for BYB ads..:mad: ). Her owner was giving her away because she was moving to Australia. She had 4 homes before us.

Boo- SPCA- when we got him his fur was missing in places and he had open wounds... He was also really hit. :(

Hershey (RIP)- my champion red dobie, was left behind in the country, chained outside when the breeder moved away. We got him at 3 years old and he was the love of my life. Died at 13 of Wobbler's.

Mindy (RIP)- from a farm, way to early. She was bottle fed after her mother tried to kill her. Several surgeries later, she was healthy but attacked every dog she saw till the day she died (except Hershey). Died at 14 of a brain tumor.

Tara- black dobie from SPCA. She died of liver cancer very young (7).

Sheba- newf, we inherited her from a family friend. She was 6 and died at 16. She was my protector when I was tiny. She is the reason I have a physical reaction to newfs, I think. She just died of old age...

And my 3 rats, Lestat, Buddy and Army/Gilbert. Petstore, before I knew any better.

And all that is why I don't use a crate. I've only had second-hand doggies with bad histories that separation anxiety and a little chewing (or even a lot of chewing) just seems normal to me. I don't get a dog expecting it to keep its mouth shut.:)

BTW, these are very beautiful histories, everybody. :love:

amber416
December 31st, 2005, 01:52 PM
Tinkerbell- my first cat, adopted from the humane society when she was 6 months old. I almost bought from a petstore that day (it was before i really knew about the evils of petstores), as i was really set on a grey kitten with white boots (can't remember why now...) but i couldn't get Tink's face and her snotty little attitude:) out of my mind, so we ended up back at the shelter at the end of the day.

Lexus- foster cat i took in at 8 months and still have nearly a year later....

Katharina (Killer) - feral cat, found hungry and extremely aggressive at four months old

Penny- cat i adopted when another rescue turned her over to our group because she was "too feral" (this is the cat that wakes me up every morning by bathing my face in kisses)

Cami- golden retriever, rescued (okay, technically i got her from a petstore, but it's a petstore that only showcases rescues) i had been wanting a purebred golden and my husband was pretty set on a puppy. We were in the middle of researching area breeders when we came across Cami who had been dumped along with her brothers and sisters...needless to say they were all adopted immediately.

Frank- bearded dragon....petstore

Bushfire2000
December 31st, 2005, 02:53 PM
This can get long and involved.

My first dog Inky was a mix Sheltie for sure and pos. some poodle because he didn't shed. A family friend gave him to me when he was a puppy. Inky was a doll he loved to learn he knew many tricks my favorite was playing Dead. He would sit at one end of a room/area and I would call him he would come running I would point at him and say "Bang" he would fall over and close his eyes not moving until I called him again. Poor Inky didn't make the move to the country very well and ended up getting run over at eleven years old (he shouldn't have been outside but accidents happen It took a lot of time to overcome the guilt)

Elvis had a short life but he was my dearest love. He was a Shih Tzu/Bichon cross. I waited many years after losing Inky to get another dog and after doing a lot of research had a lot of trouble picking between the two breeds. A Vet Assistant told me that her dog had puppies and did I want to look at them. Elvis was the last one in the litter all the others had been picked (I still can't believe how lucky we were that he was left for us). Elvis loved to be outside and on a very nice winter afternoon he started the coyotes howling, but we didn't think anything of it. Poor Elvis disappeared that evening after being let out to go to the bathroom. After searching for hours we had to give up. Elvis's body was found in the pasture in the spring. I think I miss him even more than Inky, maybe because I waited so long before getting him. He was only nine months old when we lost him.

Lacey, my princess. I'm afraid I bought her at a pet store. I didn't mean to but I went in and looked and I was lost. I went home and couldn't sleep so the next day I phoned my mom and asked her to go buy her for me (I couldn't go myself and I was afriad someone else would buy her), I paid for her not my mom. I didn't know what breed or as the case turned out breeds she was but I couldn't resist. She has a very secure pen out of doors for those rare trips outside without me. I'm putting a top on her pen this year because I've seen hawks around and she only weighs 6lb.

Buster, our wonder dog. I did my research and a Shih Tzu was perfect for us so I got Buster from a breeder. He is just the best little dog, He lost one of his eyes this summer and we have no idea what happened .

Mavis, is a rescue dog. She came to us as a pup, 4 months old. While she was fine with me it took three weeks before she'd let my husband touch her. And no stranger will ever get close to her.

Cocoa. She came from a breeder of Shih Tzus but she's definitely Bichon/Shih Tzu

glasslass
December 31st, 2005, 03:05 PM
Den-Den and Corky - both from a BYB before I knew better. In my defense, I thought I was doing the right thing by visiting the home, seeing the parents, and assuring myself that they had been brought up in a clean, healthy environment with their records of initial puppy shots and deworming. I actually bought Corky for my mom and provided all his food and veterinary care. He's Den-Den's little brother now. Mom knew he'd always be taken care of. She loved him so much. He was the perfect companion for her the last 3 years.

poodletalk
December 31st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Muffin and Misty-terrier mix-grandparents dog had pups. They died at 12 and 15 years old
Chaos-husky mix-petshop. In away we rescued her from the petshop, if anyone else bought her, she would have been brought to the SPCA instantly and very quickly she would have been euthanised. Chaos was very vicious, she was a puppymill dog that was severly neglected. She died at the age of 15.5 years old, we didn't dare tell her what to do, she was the boss of our household. (She died a year ago)
Lucy-black lab mix, 8 years old. Parents friends dog had pups. The owner of the mother dog euthanised Lucy's sister who was a pup, because she chewed up a shoe! (STUPID PEOPLE)
Clyde-Irish Wolfhound mix, 5 years old adopted him from the SPCA Monteregie. He was born on a farm, was kicked by a farm animal and now he has severe hip displysia.
Maggie-husky mix, started off fostering her from the SPCA Monteregie. Her mother was a stray gave birth on someone's lawn to 12 pups. When they were brought to the SPCA Monteregie, they were couple of weeks old, poor Maggie had a bad case of kennel cough. I kept her when she had a clean bill of health.

BernerLver
December 31st, 2005, 07:30 PM
I love reading threads like this. Ok I haven't had many pets so my list will be pretty short.

Furball, cat (deseased) - found as as stay when we moved into our newly built house. He was about 1 year old and dies of kidney failure at 13.

Sam, cat - adopted form local humane society. Currently still residing at my parents house. I wanted to take him with me when I moved after I got married but my dad is very attached to him and he is getting a little cranky in his old age and doesn't adapt well to change.

Bailey, BMD - adopted form a couple who had purchased him from a pet store. Wonderful dog (my first), amazing temprement. Good health given that I'm sure he is from a BYB or puppy mill. Can't wait to get another.

Toonces
January 1st, 2006, 07:42 AM
5 kitties in my life past and present 3 from Quinte Humane Society 1 from Loyalist Humane and Toonces I got from an ex's mom she didn't want him anymore.

GSD Bud from Oshawa Humane

GSD Precious Lady Jane (PJ) from a breeder that was going to dump her at the pound because she was no longer able to have pups

Currie and Brandy my loveable mutts from Spring Valley Animal Shelter.

Katze
January 1st, 2006, 08:51 AM
8 Kitties:

All from back alleys in "SudOuest" Montreal where you can always count on an endless selection of kitties in varying states of dishevellment.

loveyadogs
January 1st, 2006, 04:40 PM
we rescued coco , in the montreal storm of 1997-someone my dad knows went up there and found him, he was the vet says around 2 months old, he is now 9 this year. he is a terrier/poodle and is 10 pounds.

bought a dog off a family member,didnt know she was a back yard breeders friend and the dog died after 6 days.

we now have a 5 month old shihtzu boy named bazil, to be friends with coco.

;)

jessi76
January 2nd, 2006, 01:29 PM
My current pets:

Nala (brown tabby) - my friend adopted her from a shelter. Then my friend moved to a place that didn't allow animals, so she came to live with me.

Miss Lulu (calico) - an accidental litter, from a friend. thankfully, all the kittens had a home promised to them before they were even born.

Tucker (basenji-x) - from a shelter. someone surrendered his mom when she was pregnant - had 5 pups at a foster home, and every one of them was adopted at 8wks old.

My previous pets (RIP)
Holly, mutt - from a farm, an accidental litter.
Mittens, cat - from a friend.
Jasper, cat (still alive and well) - found in an abandon building drinking from a beer can. My family cleaned him up, had him vaccinated, wormed, neutered, and placed him with a friend.
Hampsters - I was really little, dad got them at a pet store.
2 Bunnies - from a bunny-mill, didn't know any better.
a gecko - pet store
numerous fish - pet store
Lucky, wild bird - found in the road, we nursed it back to health & released.
Penelope, wild bird - found dangling upside down with a broken leg - nursed back to health, released.

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
My first golden Bailey was from a pound,he was about 5-6 yr old and is with me since then (2 1/2 years ago) .I drove 2 hours to get him and I'm so glad.He was probably dump by the side of a country road.He had a rusted chain around his neck,he found a house and stay on their patio for 2 days before they called the pound to pick him up.He was heartworm positive but is ok now.Daisy was dumped at the spca at 8 years old after being somebody personal puppy mill.She is now 10 yr old.They are the BEST dogs I could ever have.I change my house for them and am now buying a bigger car because I always have fosters since September.