Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to determine if an cat is overweight..

hollybug26
October 9th, 2003, 07:35 PM
I was just wondering if there was a rule of thumb with cats to determine if they are at the correct weight. Like how humans have the BMI (Body Mass Index). My youngest cat (6 months old) appears extremely healthy to me, but some people have commented to me that she is fat. She was @ the vet last month, but they didn't weigh her or say anything about her weight.. Just curious if anybody knew anything about it. Thanks. :)

Lucky Rescue
October 9th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Run your fingers lightly along her sides when she is standing - you should be able to feel her ribs. If you can't then she is probably a little chubby.;)

Jocelyn
October 10th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Do you have a scale at home? If you do, weigh yourself then pick up your cat and see what the difference is.
Being only 6 months old, she should weigh anywhere between 5-7lbs. But then again, different breeds can weigh more.

If she is gaining weight you should see and feel her sack belly when she is in standing position. If this is the case, cut back on her food and make sure she gets exercise.

(I sure hope she is not pregnant!)

If she is long-haired that also could be the misconception by people that she looks overweight.

See chart below for an evaluation:
http://www.placervillevet.com/feline%20body%20condition.htm