Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Asking a question in advance re; Joey and new babysitter

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 29th, 2005, 08:42 PM
This may be a bit premature, but I am asking in advance as I am anticipating this behavior from Joey (hopefully I am wrong)

Okay I have noticed that Joey marks outside our home, once in a persons home and once in petmart. I assume he is marking where other male dog have marked. (He went to the vet and sat nicely the whole time and didnt lift his leg and went pee outside when we were done so he got lots of praise for that.)

Joey has marked two people both that both have male dogs....
Joey has never marked in our house. Hes fine with the other baby sitter but she has a female dog.

So this new babysitter has a male dog and is coming to babysit for the first time. So my question is how do I introduce Joey to her so he realises that shes Alpha not him, and so he doesnt try to mark her. As he will smell her dog on her.

I could just be blowing things out of proportion and over analyzing things as I usually do but I just want to know how to handle the situation to avoid any issues.

Besides my clothes wouldnt fit the baby sitter if she had to borrow some. :D

Prin
December 29th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I would tell her what might happen beforehand, but then leave it up to her. She is a doggy person, isn't she? I would hope that she would have her own way of getting out of that situation with Joey...

Bushfire2000
December 29th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Joey's babysitter or childrens sitter?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 29th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Prin, I would tell her what might happen beforehand, but then leave it up to her. She is a doggy person, isn't she? I would hope that she would have her own way of getting out of that situation with Joey...

Shes 13 years old, and she has a Shihtz-zu that apparently had issues with peeing in the house, they replaced all their carpets. Hopefully it will go well. I am just not sure if I should say meet Joey dont mind him if he pees on you. I thought maybe I should introduce Joey on leash first before taking him off leash and leaving her with the kids and dog.

Bushfire 2000
Joey's babysitter or childrens sitter? its the kids sitter. Joey wont be a problem after the initial meeting, he'll just probably watch tv with her on the couch. Its just the first five minutes that I am a little concerned with.

Bushfire2000
December 29th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I'd make sure Joey has a good round of play and lots of opportunity to pee outside first. Then let him meet the sitter (at least that way the amount of pee would be minimal).

Prin
December 29th, 2005, 11:11 PM
LOL It didn't even occur to me that she could be a kiddie sitter... That's totally different then. I'd just warn her and tell her to bring clean pants.:o (Say something like "Be careful, Joey tends to pee on people and we haven't been able to fix it yet..")

SnowDancer
December 30th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Agree with everyone else. But just wanted to add that from my experience at PetSmart, many dogs feel it their responsibility to help "clean" the floor. Guess that is why they have so many clean-up stations.

Lucky Rescue
December 30th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Beat him. J/K!:p

Keep his leash on. IF he looks as though he's getting in position to pee on her, give him a correction and make it firm. He's not a puppy and must learn that this will not be tolerated.

LM1313
December 30th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I would definitely warn her in advance . . . most people don't take kindly to being urinated on. ;) Although if her own dog has problems peeing in the house, she may be more understanding than most people. Having him on a leash and being ready to correct him is a good idea too.

~LM~

Bushfire2000
December 30th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I thought Joey was a puppy.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 30th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Bushfire= I thought Joey was a puppy.

No Joey is six years young. Thats 42 human years.

Hopefully Joey wont pee on her :fingerscr But I am going to take him out for a good walk before, let him get all of his pee out. Then introduce him on a leash. Make him sit and stay then call him over make him sit again then introduce them. I'll let her know to bring a change of clothes too.

Bushfire2000
December 30th, 2005, 08:53 PM
oops, sorry. I think you're right to empty the bladder then make the introduction. Good Luck.:)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 30th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Well my hubby is going to let the babysitters mom know, and she will tell her daughter to bring a change of clothes. Hopefully we havent scared her off. :eek:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 1st, 2006, 12:51 PM
Well Joey did not pee on the baby sitter. :) Me and the kids took him out for a walk before, he peed on every bush he could find, then we played fetch with him in the house for about 20 minutes to tire him out. He growled a little at her when she first came in but he was okay after that.

Prin
January 2nd, 2006, 12:32 AM
That's good. Even though she didn't get her Joey 'initiation', I think she's a keeper for coming anyway...

Bushfire2000
January 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
Thats great to hear.:thumbs up

CyberKitten
January 2nd, 2006, 10:18 PM
Maybe it is just me but can I ask why you are hiring someone so yoing top babysit? Is she a really mature 13 year old? She knows CPR et al? Maybe I am just anal about all this (it comes from spending too much time in the ER I suppose but my own experience has shown that the younger the babysitter, the less likely she (and they are often "she, alas) will know what to do in an emergency. But if your children do nopt have any special medical needs, maybe it'll be fine. I hate to be so negative - I myself babysat at 14 but 13 was a no no!! Even 14 is kind of young. I would never hire a 13 yr old for an infant for example - there are just so many things to consider. Now granted I know some 13 year olds do become parents but that presents uinique probs as well. I just hope she is some incredibly mature well educated , medically and child knowledgable 13 year old. Sorry to be such a spouil sport. I have too many horror stories to tell you - 16 year olds often are able to detect chold abuse and have taken courses but 13 year olds mean well and really kike kids and can play well with them but if the child falls or eats something that is dangerous, they (ie sitters 13 and under) do not (according to a study I participated in) are less likely to recognize the signs to a potentially serious problem. I actually had a case of a 14 year old who when the baby ell she wqas so upset that someone would blame it on her she put the baby back in bed and as a result, by the time the parents could bring the baby to ER it was too late. Another 13 year old tried to get a child to vomit after he ate posison without contacting poison control even tho the parents had the number next to the phone. In that case, her actions only made it worse. Sge meant well but she did not have the presence of mind to dial 911. I just worry too muchI guess, sigh! (I see too much too tho!)

Prin
January 2nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
I know at 11 I took a babysitter's course from St John Ambulance and we learned heimlich, CPR, the whole bit. It was a few weeks long. I don't think age is a factor as much as maturity. I know a few 12 year olds who I'd trust more with a kid than a lot of teens...

CyberKitten
January 3rd, 2006, 02:01 PM
Oh I did all that at 9 (I skipped a coiple grades and it was a school thing) but it still did not give me the right to babysit!!!! Legally, I had to be 14!! I(and professionally, seeing what I see so often, I have to agreee - even tho I have delivered babies whose mothers were 13!!). Anyway, that's my opinion, lol Enuf on that!! I did babysit illegally at 13 once - my cousins- but had my mom's number and it was for 2 hrs!! My mom said that was it, NO more till I was legally able to do it!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 4th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Cyberkitten
Maybe it is just me but can I ask why you are hiring someone so yoing top babysit? Is she a really mature 13 year old? She knows CPR et al?

(I'm back my computer had a virus.) All our baysitters start at about 13, and have all had the Saint John Ambulance Baby sitter course and have all done great with my kids and dog. They usually baby sit until around 15 and then they get boyfriends/friends and arent interested any more. My main baby sitter is now 14 and her sister 12 is just starting to do some baby sitting for us. But just for short periods in the afternoon.Sometimes they will come together too. Also their mom lives down the street and I know if there is a problem she is usually home. Also we are never far from home and have our cell phones on us at all times.

Bushfire2000
January 4th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Yup. The minute you get a babysitter broke in they find a boyfriend and you have to start over. For years my babysitters had more of a social life than I did.

CyberKitten
January 5th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Gheez, I babysat till I left for university 1t 15 - tho I turned 16 that 1st semester. Mkes me woncer about my social life tho I did have a bf, haha - and the money was not so great back then either, heheh I am glad to hear your sitters are good Joey - as a physician, I see so many 13 year olds and as much as I love them and some of them are soooo mature, I MIGHT let them walk YY but babysit? Nooooo!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 5th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Cyberkitten= Gheez, I babysat till I left for university 1t 15 - tho I turned 16 that 1st semester. Mkes me woncer about my social life tho I did have a bf, haha - and the money was not so great back then either, heheh I am glad to hear your sitters are good Joey - as a physician, I see so many 13 year olds and as much as I love them and some of them are soooo mature, I MIGHT let them walk YY but babysit? Nooooo!!

I actually like the younger ones better, the older ones tend to smoke. bring their boyfriends over and be more preoccupied in general I find. Actually I started baby sitting at around 10, changed diapers when I was 7 (first time aunt then) and was a nanny and worked in a daycare until I was 25, then started working with disabled adults.

The funny thing is our baby sitter has more money saved up from babysitting than I do from working. Her mom told me shes saving to buy a car when she turns 16. I think maybe I need a new job.

Also if I get a bad vibe from a sitter she wont be asked back, or if my gets protest more than normal she wont either. My kids love their babysitter and are always asking when we are going out again. :D I always get to them to come over for an hour first with me there just to see how they interact.

Schwinn
January 5th, 2006, 09:18 AM
How'd I miss this one? Am I threadjacking if I bring it BACK to topic??

At any rate, I was going to say you could provide a uniform. Goulashes and rubber overalls. Dress her up like Cap'n Highliner and the peeing won't be an issue.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 5th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Schwinn=

How'd I miss this one? Am I threadjacking if I bring it BACK to topic??

At any rate, I was going to say you could provide a uniform. Goulashes and rubber overalls. Dress her up like Cap'n Highliner and the peeing won't be an issue

you are brilliant why didnt anyone think of this before :D :crazy:

CyberKitten
January 6th, 2006, 12:02 AM
HaHa Schwinn, super idea!!! Of course, lol I think your idea joey to have the sitter there for an hour is a wonderful soultion. I was very lucky thru hs - lived across the street from ppl with 3 tiny children and I remember when they brought the baby home. I went in the bedroom about every 5 mins to check to make sure she was still breathing, lol (my 1st infant). I am lucky I did not wake the kid up, gheez!!

I prob see so many 13 yr olds and it is not so much the age but the level of maturity and what they would do in an emergency. And I do agree some 13 year olds are more mature - esp wirh children - than 16 or 17 yo. Then again, I see adults I would never allow to be left alone with a child, lol (There are people I think actually hate kids, it's amazing - I have on parent at the moment who I am sure is jealous of her 12 year old because she has skin cancer and is getting so much attention. She gives me the styrangest vibes and I worry for that child - she needs so much suppprt - psychologically to defeat cancer because you have to defeat cancer, it is a war, it is not a dainty disease, it requires courage and all the fight you have. I just want to shake this woman. There are days I wish there were laws about who could be a parent - tho I do not know how one would enforce it and it is shades of the Handmaiden's Tale or 1984. I see wonderful parents who have great wealth and can give their kids every kind of support - inclding getting 2nd opinions in the US (which I encourage if it can be afforded tho often it's not always necessary) and they buy their children toys that make them forget the pain but I also see similarly rich folk who are too busy to be with their children on the chemo days or when I am operating. 9The nanny or a friend or someone or no one sometimes is there!! - I do give them some berth since I myself was often alone in hospital as a child since both my folks worked but they - and often my entire town - was so supportive (You cannot imagine to know what it feels like to know that your entire community is rooting for you, it really helps!!! - my parents did not raise money, people just sent letters and cards and flowers and toys and stuff - folks I never even knew). But I came from a small Maritime community where we all care for each other tho we also knew everyone's biz, lol

Anyway - some of the very best parents I see are the single parent moms who work two jobs yet are there to support their child and they have little money, need help navigating the system and just eat up all the info you give them. Parents on social assistance who need help to fight for govt support to pay for medication - those are the kind of parents I often go the extra mile for, put the pressure on the politicians I know. They are just wonderful parents!!!

Anyway - sorry to hijack!!! Glad you have good babysitters however old they are, lol Our Pediatroc Society has some policy about 14 I think but not everything is written in stone.