Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

leash biting

wdawson
December 29th, 2005, 08:14 PM
when beathoven and i go for our walk he is great on the leash while heading out.......but on the way back he jumps and bites at the handle and always has some of the leash in his mouth....as soon as he starts we take a time out and i make him sit until he calms down, we get 5 feet and it starts again , then another time out , then another 5 feet.......well you get the point. i takes us 30 minutes to get to our favorite park and 90 to get home.
any ideas would be great.

wdawson
December 29th, 2005, 08:16 PM
forgot to mention , beathoven is an 8 month old neutered pitx ,

.unknown.
December 29th, 2005, 08:32 PM
haha with my pit mix i get the SAME thing.
it's so frustrating!

But my only success has been with doing pretty much what you're doing. Telling her to drop the leash, and when she goes for it again i tell her NO. And i don't start walking until she's let go of the leash...

Melinda
December 30th, 2005, 10:38 AM
try using a chain leash, they really don't like the feel of the metal in their mouths, it worked for me when it was suggested.

mummummum
December 30th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Apparently I spoke too soon in stating yesterday in another post that, taking the advice of another member and using the chain leash with Ceili-the-Tug-O'-War-Queen seems to be working... cuz guess what the liddle-darlin' did today...yup, grabbed the chain leash and pulllllled. I worry about getting a tooth stuck - hers, not mine - mine are ground down to the bone. Your pup may respond to having an aversive substance on his leash ie. Bitter Apple. I have also heard of making a paste from Alum (you can get this from a drugstore) as this too is very bitter. Hotsauce etc. is likely to burn your pup's mouth (though frankly, in a moment of desperation I did try it and Ceili didn't notice a thing...ahhh my beautiful strong like bull, smart like streetcar grrrrrl). I'll let you know how the Alum works as I'm going to try it tomorrow. I'm wondering if there is more by way of behaviour modification that can be done - it's definitely a passive-aggressive behaviour. Any thoughts out there ?

tenderfoot
January 2nd, 2006, 01:01 PM
It would be good to teach 'leave it' and 'drop'. 'Leave it' is what you say when you know he is going for the leash and 'drop it' is what you say when he already has it.
You know this is going to happen and can even anticipate it. So it is best to stop the thought before it becomes an action. At this point it has just become a successful game for him, so set him up to learn.
With pits it can go either way. Better to teach him to respect your words and get him to choose his behavior out of respect for you. Having said that sometimes once they have the leash in their mouth there is little point in trying to get it from them by jiggling the leash. They just grab on harder and it becomes a game you are going to loose. We have had great success with pit clients who simply disengage whent he dog is trying to start a game. They get still and calm as the dog is trying with his whole heart to engage them into play. That means that you might even go with the dog as he tries to pull at the leash - this way he never gets to actually pull so its no fun for him. He will try for about a minute or less and then give up.
Because he is just trying to engage you in a game often people don't think it's a major problem, but it could be if you allow it. He is challenging you in this game and if he wins, then he learns to challenge you more. If you don't permit the game or you win then he learns to submit to you and stops challenging.

SnowDancer
January 2nd, 2006, 05:06 PM
Leash #16 is metal - and only 4 feet long. And I too worry about the canine teeth getting caught in it because of course it was only a matter of 2 days before he tried to chew it. Leash #17 is a double thick black nylon. Leash #13 is still with us - it is leather and I don't allow my husband to use it as my Eskie chews it more when out with him. It isn't that he doesn't understand the various No commands - he just loves to grab the leash and play tug. He is equally fond of anything with stuffing - pillows, duvets, mattress pads, - towels are "fun" too. He turned 21 months yesterday and when I found him at my pillow destuffing it, for the first time he looked guilty and stopped. But that was yesterday - we are doing the guilt thing again today. I hope you have better luck than I have. Sure wish this little 22 lb. angel/devil didn't have the teeth of a Rotti. I am waiting for April 1 - the magic day he turns 2 and supposedly will become an adult - I have a feeling he will still be a baby at age 17 - actually that I don't mind - just not a chewing baby.