Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Post xmas stress syndrome

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 28th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Is anyone feeling the stress of xmas, After having not much left after buying xmas presents All our bills came in the mail today, once they are paid, we'll be eating KD for the next few weeks.

Joey went to the vet yesterday to have his anal sacs emptied, which left my bank account low, but he needed it done. On top of that the signal lights stopped working in my car, and I need them to drive to work as I drive on the highway everyday. So my husband tells me to take it to our local mechanic and says oh it wont cost much and they'll just fix it, and put the wires back together.Turns out its not just the wires, they actually need to order a part and I have too pick it up tommorow so now its going to cost for labour and parts. Meanwhile I am sitting in the mechanics office with my kids that are begging me for their treat that I promised them, and having a panic attack because I dont know how much my car will be.

Luckily my job allows me to do as much overtime as I basically want, so I will be putting in a few more hours in the next pay period.

jawert1
December 28th, 2005, 04:28 PM
I'm with ya there, right now I'm going through ye merry olde post Christmas blues. PJ's are the outfit of choice, I've yet to really leave the house since getting back from my 'rents (except to walk the bebbes), and I spend most of the day in bed reading. I'm thinking next year I need to be on vacation somewhere sunny and warm so as to perhaps thwart this (not that my bank account will be any happier)

joeysmama
December 28th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Yep, the stress kicked in here ! My mother went into the hospital a few days before Christmas so I had to step double time to get things done so that I could make the drive out there and spend part of the holidays with her. So we took a big Christmas Eve dinner so that the rest of my side of the family could go ahead with their planned celebration together. A long drive and we were there for hours, getting to bed at 3:00 a.m. We were way too exhausted to enjoy Christmas and we all just about fell asleep on our plates. We had assumed that someone would visit on Christmas Day but no one went near.

Now my brother called and TOLD me that he talked the doctor into releasing her early and that I need to be there in the morning. Never mind that I have to work tomorrow and am having company tomorrow night (our Christmas celebration with the cousins that we are close with) and won't have a car either. I told him that I would ask my kids to change their plans and he said "They'll just have to sacrifice, it's their grandmother." His kids have yet to step foot in the hospital. But he wants to go home and visit with his in laws--with whom he has already spent all of Christmas Eve, Christmas day and each day since.

I think that if he is going to talk the doctor into releasing her he should make sure I am available to bring her home. I have to scramble to get someone to cover for me and do my assignment that was due today and is already a day late. My husband merged with another company and is combining offices beginning this week so he is calling here constantly for me to fax things there, look up ID numbers, phone the lawyers etc. It will take me at least 2 and a half hours each way to get to my moms and then a few hours to get her settled. How am I supposed to just bring her home from the hospital and then leave her? That's just mean !!!

I want them to wait a day or two so I can spend the night or the weekend. My preference is to bring her here and keep her here for a few weeks. No one will listen to that idea. And he's acting like I need to be there or I'm the stinker.

Sheesh !!:mad:

Oh my gosh !! I just went on a tirade didn't I????

So sorry. What was the question? Stress? Yes !!

Prin
December 28th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Aww Joeysmama, that's a crappy situation. I would put that stinkin' bro in his place so fast, he wouldn't know what hit him.:evil: :mad: What a twit! The world doesn't really need another big-shot invisiman, does it?

Joey's Mom, kids love kd, so don't feel too badly. And nobody ever signals on the highway, so you'll fit right in.;)

As for me, I'm not thinking about money till May. :) Not that I have any, I'm just not thinking about it for a few months. With the bills we keep getting from the government and from the city and with the crap breaking in the house every 10 minutes, I just give up.:thumbs up

glasslass
December 28th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Perhaps, if you call the doctor to tell him there is a problem with someone being there until the weekend, he'll delay releasing her? What is kd?

Prin
December 28th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Kraft Dinner (macaroni and cheese)... It's really fake but full of drugs that make kids love it.:evil: :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 28th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Prin Joey's Mom, kids love kd, so don't feel too badly. And nobody ever signals on the highway, so you'll fit right in.
The only one that doesnt like KD is my hubby and he works 5 nights a week. We like to make it fancy and put weiners in it.

Actually I was feeling a bit down this xmas, all our families on the coast and spread out everywhere. No one ever visits, actually some of them are like where do you live again, or they will go skiing which is 45 minutes from our house and then we'll hear about a few months later. Thanks for calling.
We used to have the big dinners in Vancouver, but now its just us. We almost went down this year but decided we couldnt swing it. I know its hectic to visit family, we used to do two dinners in one day and then visit his cousins at night. Then drive home exhausted. But here no one will visit, we always have to make the effort, which sucks IMO. Actually a few years back my sister called from the ski hill and expected us to go up there. I lost it on her, and said we drive 6 hours to drive to Vancouver to see you, You can darn well drive 45 minutes to visit us in our home. This was after I had a full course dinner in the oven for them their four kids and boyfriends. They showed up an hour later.

Now my brother called and TOLD me that he talked the doctor into releasing her early and that I need to be there in the morning. Never mind that I have to work tomorrow and am having company tomorrow night (our Christmas celebration with the cousins that we are close with) and won't have a car either. I told him that I would ask my kids to change their plans and he said "They'll just have to sacrifice, it's their grandmother." His kids have yet to step foot in the hospital. But he wants to go home and visit with his in laws--with whom he has already spent all of Christmas Eve, Christmas day and each day since.

Joeys Mama, I feel for you, I have said similar brother, he made me cut my trip short from visiting my sister on the Island so I can go look after my dad. He was there too and had no plans. I had used up all my airmile points, taken time off of work to visit my sister that had cancer and who I hadnt seen in a year. But of course their family and we love them right. :evil:

Prin
December 28th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Ya, Joey's mom, I have a family like that. They're scattered and once I bumped into my cousin in downtown Montreal. I actually threatened him- I said I would tell my grandmother he was in town if he didn't go visit her before he left. He tried to make a secret of his visit.:rolleyes: Nice family- he's actually one of the better ones though.

But then another cousin is getting married in Cape Breton on the 31st (who gets married on new year's eve?), and all my cousins are going. Nobody calls this cousin during the year but they're willing to trek up to 6000 kms to go see the wedding? How two-faced is that?

joeysmama
December 28th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Thank you all for the support. I was out tonight and met someone who works in health care and she said that my mother is entitled to sub acute care and as a patient over 80 who has been in the hospital for a week she would be considered debilitated and shouldn't be allowed to go home alone. She thinks I can have her moved to rehab near my home and then released to my home and her insurance will cover it. I'm not calling my bro on this. I'm making the necessary calls in the morning.

Joey's mommy, don't you just love when the relatives are in town and they don't even let you know ?!?!? Or I love when my brother tells me I should come see him since it's only 45 minutes away. But if I ask him to come here he tells me its an hour and a half drive. Doesn't add up does it?

Glasslass I did call her doctor and he said that he hadn't seen her yet today and hadn't signed the release. After examining her he said she can't go home.

Prin, I'm with you on the money issue. I'm pulling the old Scarlet O'Hara and not thinking about it until tomorrow (or May sounds good;) )

Jawert, I'm definitely in PJ mode. I got a pair of extra cozy ones for Christmas and have been wearing them so much they're either on me or in the wash.

Prin
December 28th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Joey's mommy, don't you just love when the relatives are in town and they don't even let you know ?!?!? Or I love when my brother tells me I should come see him since it's only 45 minutes away. But if I ask him to come here he tells me its an hour and a half drive. Doesn't add up does it?Well, you have it easier- you must be driving with the wind.:)

pj's sound nice. I wish I had a fireplace to stare at too...:o

joeysmama
December 29th, 2005, 12:36 AM
LOL Prin. Maybe it's downhill all the way to his house ??

I wish I had a fire too. Plenty of pj's, and hot chocolate, but the only flame is from the Yankee Candle I treated myself to for Christmas. Oh I need the warm fire !!

Prin
December 29th, 2005, 12:49 AM
LOL You need to get a round trip number. That way, the downhill with the wind to his house and the uphill against the wind to yours will both be included.:D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 29th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Well its back to work today after four days off. Now I have to work overtime to pay those darn bills, I think it should be illegal to bill people at xmas.

Thing is with my family all of them are so much older, they dont really give me and my family much thought and some of them have money, so they dont have time for us, as we are more regular folk. It sounds snobby but its true. All they talk about is their yachts, their trips around the world, their investments. Then there is the little sister me, oh you work at an office do you "how cute" run along now little girl. :evil:

Me saying come see my Zodiac (rubber dingy basically), maybe I can even get a motor in the next 6 years or so, oh investments yes we bought a patio set at Walmart which I am sure will add to the value of our house. Anyways I guess we will continue to spend our money drving six hours to go visit them, take time off work even though we cant afford it. I am sure they need a rest from polishing their yachts, and travelling to exotic locations. Life is rough for some people. Opps I ranted sorry.

joeysmama
December 29th, 2005, 09:52 AM
LOL Joey's mommy. We have more in common than just our screen names. I'm the youngest also and the least affluent. We're not begging on the street but money IS a consideration for us.

We're making the same investments as you. And we upgraded our portfolio. Which means that when the umbrella broke on the patio set my husband soldered it back together. ;)