Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lots and lots of Pee.

Katherine
December 28th, 2005, 03:56 PM
I have a total yeah/boo situation.

YEAH! Farley is out of his crate and now stays home alone :) I NEVER thought we would get to this point so its nice to see that our 1.5 years of hard work with him is paying off :thumbs up .

BOO , because Farley is starting to pee on his bed now. The last couple of times we have come home Farley runs around excited as heck and then he goes and takes a big whiz on his bed .

This morning my husband caught him on the stairs landing and came down to discipline him. He took by the collar and walked him firmly over to the stairs to give him a firm "NO". He went back upstairs and when he and the kids came down for breakfast one of my kids stepped in a puddle of his urine. He must of known what he had done because just as I came downstairs and my husband said "farley peed" I looked over and he was doing a full pee on his bed. Im really not sure why hes peeing so much in the house? Hes fully housetrained and hasnt had accidents in ages. Could the absence of the crate being him more sensitive? Any idea on how to stop it or what we should be doing?

Farleys a big creature of habit and I have to say Ive been sitting at work on pins and needles because this is the first time hes been alone without his bed (I call that his house now) . I really hope he didnt go nutso today :(

jessi76
December 28th, 2005, 04:14 PM
If he were my dog, I'd take that freedom away. no more run of the house, and back to the crate. Is the crate still there as an option or did you remove it totally? if it's the latter, you may want to try putting it back, where it was, and leaving the door open, so he has the option of using it or not.

also, if he's crated, it gives you a chance to leash him with out him taking off all excited and peeing somewhere in the house. You can leash up and go out immediately.

You may also want to see the vet for a checkup - to rule out any physical issues that could cause so many accidents.

CJ05
December 28th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Should only punish ( a firm no) when you catch your dog in the act (of peeing) not after. If you try to punish after the fact they may start to understand that the mess made was wrong, but the actual act of them peeing on the floor was not.

Prin
December 28th, 2005, 09:33 PM
To me, this sounds more like the doggy is full and can't hold it any longer. First thing in the morning and after you come home from somewhere? I would wake up and run him outside, and come home and run him outside. Just because he is getting older, might not mean he's at full capacity yet. (Especially if he, as you said, looks guilty afterward... And if it's snowy at all outside, he's probably 'eating' more water than usual too.)