Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog attack

Bushfire2000
December 28th, 2005, 03:38 PM
My sister is a sheep rancher in BC. A rottie and a mini pin jumped into her barn and chased her sheep and attacked them, one is just clinging to life.
This Rottie had previously killed a kitten and a pet rabbit. Any opinions thoughts on what should happen to this dog? The owner of the Rottie and Pincer has small children and she says that the babysitter let the dogs out by mistake.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 28th, 2005, 08:50 PM
I would say they need to take responsibility for what the dogs did. Perhaps the baby sitter shouldnt be responsible for the dogs and the kids. Maybe the dogs could go to doggie daycare or someone else could go and walk the dogs. Hopefully the attacks can stop before anything drastic needs to happen to these dogs.

How does your sister feel about the whole thing, I would be upset if I were her, but then these dogs are someones pets too, so I can see both sides of the story.

Beetlecat
December 28th, 2005, 10:05 PM
As far as I am concerned, There are only two options, to remove the dog from the situation or accept the possible damage it can do.

This dog (the rottie) will never stop killing animals. I expect the min pin was just in on it because it was fun, but would not instigate it itself.

Here at least, any farmer is well within his/her rights to shoot any dog caught attacking livestock, and many do. Others keep a dog or two around to chase neighbour dogs away.

I would tell the farmer to figure out her legal rights. The owner of the dog should either pay for the damage done (now and future) or remove the dog.

Prin
December 28th, 2005, 10:50 PM
I would try the responsibility route first and then move into the law. If the owner doesn't accept full responsibility and pay for everything, then I'd file a police report. But I'm in the city, so I don't know how effective police reports are in the country...:o

mummummum
December 29th, 2005, 12:36 AM
That's awful for your sister - I'm sure she's a dawg-lover too. Any chance of calling an Animal Services chapter in for help ? When the GS's who attacked my grrrrl's then attacked and nearly slaughtered a little Pom, the GS 's owner was ordered to have them evaluated by a specific trainer who specialized in extreme aggression and if the evaluation showed any hope of recovery, residential treatment/ training for the dogs for as long as the trainer deemed necessary.

mona_b
December 29th, 2005, 08:41 AM
I suggest your sister go straight to the owner and put them in their place.Let the owners know that she has the right to shoot the dogs(doesn't mean she will) or you will have AC come and seize the dogs..And your sister should demand that they pay for ALL vet costs that are done on this poor sheep and any others.

My sister is on a farm...A few years ago my nephews prized calf(he was in 4H)was attacked by a dog.The owner of the dog was charged and the dog ordered to be kept on the owners property.If the dog was found on her farm again,he was going to be seized.

Farmers and Ranchers take pride in their livestock and will do anything to keep them protected.And they do have all the right to shoot the dogs that harm them.Unfortunately.

Bushfire2000
December 29th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Thank you for your input. The dog (Rottie) has been seized, it's fate is up to the animal control department, they took my sisters statement and will make the decision.
The dog owner is paying for the injured sheeps care, but has stated that she wants them to put the ewe down so she can just replace it which will cost her less. My sister has named all of her flock and they are basically pets. The Vet said that the sheep is perky, young and worth attempting to save. My sister also owns two dogs but has no patience with people who do not control their animals.

LavenderRott
December 29th, 2005, 06:34 PM
This dog (the rottie) will never stop killing animals. I expect the min pin was just in on it because it was fun, but would not instigate it itself.

Wow. That is a rather stereotypical comment.

Seven years ago I spent a sumer working on a horse farm. My rottweiler went to work with me daily, walked along beside me while I took the horses out in the morning and brought them back in in the afternoon. She spent hours running alongside the tractor as we went between the 5 different barns cleaning stalls. Not once did she ever chase a horse or any other animal on the farm.

However, one of the horse owners had a JRT that was constantly being chased out of the pastures and was finally banned from the farm for biting at the heels of some of the slower, elderly horses.

Yes - the owner of the dog needs to be held responsible for damage to the flock.

gdamadg
December 29th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Wow. That is a rather stereotypical comment.

LavenderRott,

I think what was originally meant was that once the dog has killed an animal it will always kill. If the Min Pin hasn't killed as of yet, it is unlikely to. It could have very well been the other way around. The Rottweiller could have been the one in on the fun.

Beetlecat
December 29th, 2005, 09:19 PM
LavenderRott,

I think what was originally meant was that once the dog has killed an animal it will always kill. If the Min Pin hasn't killed as of yet, it is unlikely to. It could have very well been the other way around. The Rottweiller could have been the one in on the fun.

Yes, thank you. That is what I meant. I'm impressed by rotties, but this one has a history.

As well, dogs often do things as a pack that they would not do alone.

My folks dog lives with cats, and so does my dog. They get along just fine. But, together, they were once caught playing tug of war with a cat (ie one had the head, one the tail).

Seperatly, they are fine, but together, they goad and urge each other on. One maybe grabs the cat in fun, the other thinks the cat is attacking the first dog and grabs it, the first thinks it's now attacking the second dog etc..

... oh, the cat survived fine :)

mona_b
December 29th, 2005, 09:53 PM
The dog owner is paying for the injured sheeps care, but has stated that she wants them to put the ewe down so she can just replace it which will cost her less.

And who does this owner think she is to suggest something like this........:evil:

Her dog did this so she is DEFINATELY going to pay for the vet bill.

I hope your sister sticks it to them.....:D

I'm glad the vet has suggest that the ewe is worth saving....:highfive:

As well, dogs often do things as a pack that they would not do alone.

That all depends.

My dog lives with 2 cats.I have a friend with 3 GSD's and 3 cats.Many times I have gone there or they have come here.We can go out for hours and come back to a house in one piece.That goes for the cats too...:D

At times it is worse on a farm..There are quite a few farmers who let their dogs roam free.And this is not just on their own land,it's other farmers land also.Many of the dogs become pack dogs and end up mauling/killing livestock.Yet they wonder back on to their land like nothing happened.Playing with the kids,cats and whatever else.I have seen the damage these dogs can do as a loose pack.It's not pretty.

Bushfire2000
December 29th, 2005, 10:01 PM
The Vet also told my sister to not settle$ until all her sheep have their lambs because this could cause them to abort. One sheep has had lambs (twins) and my sister is having to bottle feed them because the Ewe dosn't have milk.

Beetlecat
December 30th, 2005, 02:35 PM
At times it is worse on a farm..There are quite a few farmers who let their dogs roam free.And this is not just on their own land,it's other farmers land also.Many of the dogs become pack dogs and end up mauling/killing livestock.Yet they wonder back on to their land like nothing happened.Playing with the kids,cats and whatever else.I have seen the damage these dogs can do as a loose pack.It's not pretty.

I see this most in regards to acreages. There seems to be a mentality of 'lets move to the country so we can let our dogs run free!' And then all these loose dogs band together. And then when those dogs wander and get shot, they just buy another one and let it run loose too.

The house next door to my folks has been sold 3 times, yet each owner has been very irresponsible with their dogs. The current one has I think 3 dogs (at one point they had 5 or 6), and they all wander and chase cars, meaning my folks have to avoid hitting them everytime they leave or return to home. The owners apparently 'do not see this' or just don't care.

Bushfire2000
December 30th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Rural BC is very different from rural Saskatchewan or Alberta.
Here in Saskatchewan its miles between farm houses our nearest neighbor is 2 miles away. In rural BC the farms are so close together I had a hard time distinguishing a farm from just an ordinary house (I guess the difference is that a farm has a barn in the yard and a private house dosen't?) When we visited my sister she keep talking about it being nice to be so far away from their neighbors now she lives in the country. Her nearest neighbor is only about a hundred yards from her door. My barn is farther than that. So to say lets move to the country in her area means your yard is bigger and you have a gate on your driveway. These dogs only live a stones throw from her house and they are not the only dogs that are of concern in her area..