Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing a new cat?

mandy1808
December 28th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Hi there, in the summer i acquired a 12 year old cat named Rogue. he was used to going outside but is now happy in my flat. He settled in well and was happy with lots of cuddles. I have now acquired another cat who was mine for the first 4 years of his life, but then was given to my elderly friend when i went travelling. My friend has sadly died at the age of 93 and i have now got Oscar back.. aged 10. He used to go out a couple of times a day but not for long. he seems to be ok, has been eating, but rogue is very very out of sorts. They were only introduced a couple of days ago. they have hissed a bit at each other and growled but nothing too bad. they are both very mild mannered cats, neither of whom scratch or bite. Any ideas on how to make them both happy? especially rogue? any thoughts would be appreciated. :pawprint:

jawert1
December 28th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Welcome Mandy! Time is needed here, time for them to get used to their respective surroundings and the changes and time to adapt to each other. That you've only had them together a few days and you've seen minor displays of aggression is promising. I'm sure some of the other folks here have great suggestions (I couldn't survive being a dog mom without them), but there's my 2 cents :) Feel free to give change :P

glasslass
December 28th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Sounds like it's too late to introduce them gradually. It doesn't sound too bad though. They'll work out who's top cat, but supervise them.

mandy1808
December 28th, 2005, 04:32 PM
its lovely to realise that people care enough to post replies!... yes i suppose it is gonna be time that will ease them in ... and... er... its just a small flat so trying to get them to meet each other gradually would have been difficult as i have a lodger in the second bedroom so not much spare space! oscar seems to be ok (as the newcomer), but rogue just sits and lists awfully. i feel so bad about him as he was such a happy boy. i am moving in a few weeks time so im hoping that going to a "Neutral" place will set the balance right. thanks for the words of encouragement!

chico2
December 28th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Mandy,first of all,thank's for taking both Oscar and Rouge in,many people would have said they are too old,which is not true:pawprint:
I have never introduced grown cats to each other,it's always been kittens to my grown cats and even so there was growling and hissing going on:D
Since limited space is a problem,I would just try to make sure they both get love and affection,give them each a bowl for food and if you only have one litter-box,get another.
Since they are both laid-back males I am sure they will work it out,neither seem to want to fight.
Rouge is probably a little stressed right now,but with time I am certain he will enjoy the company of Oscar.Good Luck!!

mandy1808
December 28th, 2005, 04:50 PM
chico2 thanks for that! They have their own bowls and two litter trays. "too old".. well on 24th december i was telling my dentist about the loss of my old neighbour and showed him a picture on my phone of "my ginger boy". "heres my ginger boy" he said.. showing me a picture of his ginger cat.. aged 22!!! apparently he is now a house cat as after coming face to face with a badger 8 years ago has staunchly refused to go outside again!!! 22 - blimey! that makes him 104 in human years!!!

chico2
December 28th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Mandy,I've had cats most of my life and I definetly do not consider a cat at 10 or 12 old.My oldest right now is 10 and he is far from old..
However people who adopt from shelters,often are hesitant with an"older"cat,but then there are those other wonderful people who look for older cats(I have 2 friends who adopts hard to re-home cats):thumbs up
I forgot to say"Welcome to the Forum":D

Snooky'sMom
December 29th, 2005, 07:10 AM
I am currently introducing two older cats (been doing it since October!) and the process is slow. I kept the new one in a room for awhile and I'm still keeping them separate when I'm out or at night. I know it sounds like a long time but I'll know when the time is right. Your resident cat sounds like he needs a little more attention right now. Jealousy will be there for some time until they are both reasured that the other is not a threat. Time will do it.

mandy1808
December 30th, 2005, 10:26 AM
well the boys have now spent 3 nights together in the lounge and this morning they both came out at same time and ate together (well, same TIME but at different ends of the kitchen). rogue (12 year old original dweller!) spent yesterday evening under a quilt with dad, whilst oscar (new boy) spent the time next to me on other couch. currently rogue is in his favourite cupboard and oscar is mooching around somewhere. we keep them in the lounge with us in the evening to get more used to each other and give them both lots of cuddles. they dont hiss now when they spot each other.. rather just keeping a watchful eye on where each other is going. so its going far better than i hoped!

chico2
December 30th, 2005, 11:48 AM
That's great,thank's for the update!!
They could become best buds,but even if they just tolerate each other,I am sure everything will work out fine and you are doing great:thumbs up