Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat's Diabetes update

marrielle
October 8th, 2003, 09:53 PM
I posted here a few weeks ago about my newly dx'd diabetic cat Mini. Since then she has continued to respond very well to her new diet and we have stabilized her without insulin so far. I am ecstatic for her and for me and just wanted to post up a bit of good news. Happy tails...

Carina
October 8th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Curious - what is her new diet, and has she had diabetes since a kitten, or did this develop later?

I have two close friends with diabetes - one has type 1, one type 2. I'm just wondering if there's any parallels between human & animal diabetes.

And - I'm glad your cat is doing well! :)

marrielle
October 8th, 2003, 10:33 PM
Here a link to Purina's page for prescription diet DM which is what she is on.
http://www.purina.com/products/purinaveterinarydiets.asp?article=309
I think you can download info in PDF format from the page about the food. I don't know if that will help as far as human diabetes goes but if I'm not mistaken the symptoms can be quite similar. I am happy for my cat too..thanks.

Carina
October 8th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Well, the diet theory is similar! Both my friends have done extremely well following the low carb, high protein Atkins diet.

I've read studies showing that 100% cheap kibble diets have contributed to a dramatic rise in dog & cat diabetes in the last 20 years or so, because they are grain based. My dogs & cat don't eat kibble (well the cat does in moderation, but only the highest meat-content kibble I could find.)

My friend with type 1 diabetes is actually writing a book on the benefits of yoga as part of a treatment regimen. But it would probably be challenging, getting a cat into yoga. ;)