Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

car sick dog

heather331
December 27th, 2005, 09:33 PM
When my 17 week old puppy goes for a ride she gets car sick. She throws up several times even if i remove her food hours before we leave. She also pees on herself while lying down in the car. I make sure she uses the bathroom before we leave but then when we get in the car she pees first thing. She doesnt get up and squat, she just does it while lying down. The throwing up i can understand because the motion may make her sick and the peeing i understand because i think its from being nervous....but here's what i dont understand. Within minutes of being in the car she well start to drool uncontrolably. Slobber just hangs from her mouth. She gets soaking wet with drool. I dont understand this! It's not so much a problem but i just dont know why this happens.

joeysmama
December 27th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Joey used to drool uncontollably when he was scared. He would pant and drool. If there was a thunderstorm he would just shake and drool. If it was at night he would try to burrow into the back of a closet or under a table. If it was in the afternoon he would follow me closely and leave actual puddles on the floor. I would usually try to pick him up and hold him until the storm was over and he would soak my clothes or the sofa, or whatever was nearest his mouth. When my husband would come home from work and step in a wet spot he would ask "Thunderstorm today?"

jawert1
December 27th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Simon used to FREAK out (throw up, pant, pace) when we'd get in the car, so I took the approach of desensitizing him to it. I'd take them both out to the car, put them in, and we'd just sit there (I'd take a book or listen to the radio) for intervals of time (10 minutes, then 20, then 30, finally 60). He settled down after 2 weeks of that, since he no longer associated the car with bad memories or fear of any kind.

mona_b
December 27th, 2005, 10:03 PM
My sisters GSD used to be this way..But with Torie,she tried everything...It got to the point where she would have to give Torie a half a Gravol when they came to visit.It was a 2 1/2 hour car ride.

I agree with what jawert1 suggested.But I would add that after a bit of time,move the car a few feet...The go farther and farther each time.To the point you can go around the block...And continue farther....:)

Give it a try with your pup...:)

BMDLuver
December 27th, 2005, 10:05 PM
The profuse drooling is basically an anxiety attack. My Aussie X was like that and we got her through it by finally using sedation with vet guidance to change the car ride into a pleasant experience. She now gleefully hops in the car and no longer becomes ill on short or long trips. She would be completely soaked within a matter of 15 blocks and vomit to the point of dry heaving for the duration of the ride prior to that. The sedation tricked her brain into it being a happy time. The best thing to do is discuss options with your vet and try some until you get the right one for your dog.

Prin
December 27th, 2005, 10:33 PM
It has all been said already... Drooling is from anxiety. They can also drool when they're nauseous.

Be careful with sedatives for 2 reasons... First, the side-effect for some dogs is the reverse- hyperactivity. Can you imagine?:eek: So test it out before the 12 hour drive... Second, some doggies take sedatives a lot harder than others. Boo got a 12 hour sedative for the ride home from PEI and it lasted 4 days (he even got less than the prescribed dose). Sedatives always last way longer on him. He was able get up to pee and stuff but otherwise, he just slept. It was ok for coming home, but if he had slept through seeing the ocean and all that, he wouldn't have been happy.

joeysmama
December 28th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Joey had ulcerated cornea and was so freaked out by the medications he needed in his eyes that it was a two man job. Well my husband was going to be traveling for four days during the time when Joey needed drops every 2 to four hours. So the vet suggested a sedative. I tried one a few days before the trip just to know if it would work or if I would have to ask a friend to help me while Tom was gone. Well the sedative caused a seizure. Needless to say I didn't use them. It'a always good to test something like that out before you actually need to. As Prin said, imagine if it made your dog hyper. You'd want to know something like that BEFORE the car ride.

(BTW--it was a comedy scene when I was putting that medicine in myself. What a workout !!!:) )

K9Friend
December 28th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Simon used to FREAK out (throw up, pant, pace) when we'd get in the car, so I took the approach of desensitizing him to it. I'd take them both out to the car, put them in, and we'd just sit there (I'd take a book or listen to the radio) for intervals of time (10 minutes, then 20, then 30, finally 60). He settled down after 2 weeks of that, since he no longer associated the car with bad memories or fear of any kind.

My pup was the same with the car. I found that going for rides daily - even a short drive around the block helped and eventually the whole car ride experience is her favourite thing to do!

glasslass
December 28th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Once you've desensitized him enough for a short ride, take him someplace really fun like a park for a walk or to someones house for a play date. He'll soon realize the car means going with you for a good time.

papillonmama
December 29th, 2005, 08:42 AM
I have the same problem with the car sickness, Dory loooooves to go for car rides! She'll hop right in and sit quietly for the whole ride, well, unless she's getting desperately sick. We don't feed her before we have to leave, I crack a window for her, but even so, as soon as we start moving she starts smacking her lips and then panting, and that's when I know it's going to happen.
Who am I kidding, she gets sick when she rides in the stroller too!
She's just a car sick dog, I can't take her for more than about ten blocks in a moving vehicle, be it stroller, wagon, or car, and even that is taking a chance.
I love to take her with me, generally speaking she walks when I take the stroller or wagon, but if we can't get any further than my mothers house in the car, there's no way to get her to the country, which would be awfully nice.
Soooo, I guess I'm wondering, what kind of natural or even human-made medications are used for dogs with car sickness? Knowing these products I can as my vet what he feels is the best solution for her.

Sneaky
December 29th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Yep, my dog started out the same way too. She would projectile vomit all over the car after a 15 min ride.
We desensitized her by having my boyfriend hold her on his lap, and then when she would get drooly or seem nervous, we would pull over and let her go for a pee and a sniff.
Short rides, maybe with sniff/pee breaks halfway through, and tons of reassurance will see the pup through to a fun trip eventually.

Shaykeija
December 29th, 2005, 11:31 PM
I would start slow. Sit with you buddy in the car for 5 min, without it running.
Increase it by 5 min intervals up to 15 min for about a week. Start over with the 5 min in the car with you while the car is started, Increase in 5 min intervals up to 15 min again for a week. Praise and give treats so he learns the car is a good thing. Start over again by taking puppy for short drives. Just up and down the drive way at first. I had to do this with one of my girls. Now she beats me to the car.:p

heather331
December 30th, 2005, 01:38 AM
thanks everyone for responding! unfortunately this trip was 6.5 hours. :sad: you can guess the fun we had!

CMERLIN7373
January 1st, 2006, 04:54 AM
Hi Everybody, I Have The Same Excessive Drooling And Occasional Vomiting Problem With My 1 Yr Old Wire-hair Terrier, Lab Mix "abby". I Would Love To Find A Natural Or Drug Free Way To Teach Her Car Rides Only Bring You To Fun Places!

cbaker8
January 1st, 2006, 02:23 PM
Once you've desensitized him enough for a short ride, take him someplace really fun like a park for a walk or to someones house for a play date. He'll soon realize the car means going with you for a good time.

Great advise that has worked for me in the past.

My dog would blow bubbles with his drewl, pace, puke and even crap in the van. I decided that I didn't want to drug him...so I took him for the 5 minute ride into town, walked him around town for about half an hour and then the 5 minute ride back home. He loved it...now we can go for rides without the mess.

When we goto the vet or Petsmart he recognices the route and starts to talk/cry/bark all at once and gets so stressed. We manage better at the vets office than at Petsmart so that is where he gets his nails clipped for now on. The techs love him and are so patient.

goldengal
January 2nd, 2006, 02:21 PM
My Golden, Montana, is 17 months old now. From the time she was about 5 months, she would get sick on any ride in the van over 1 hour. It happened so many times that she refused to get in the van any more. Now that was fun I can tell you as spring thru fall we go to the lake every week, and it is a 2+ hour drive. Finally, I found waiting at least 4 hours after her breakfast before we left, and giving her Rescue Remedy (can be purchased in a health food store) first thing the morning of the trip helped, but still we would have the odd time she would bring up. Somewhere I read that gingersnaps would help. Now I give her the Rescue Remedy, and half an hour before we are to leave, I give her 3 or 4 gingersnaps which I break into small pieces so she doesn't pig out. I might be jinxing myself here, but it has been months now since she has had an incident.