Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HORRIBLE Christmas present from my dog....

jessi76
December 27th, 2005, 12:06 PM
fleas.

yup, last night, while chillin on the couch, I look over at him, and yank a flea off his belly. We proceed to check every inch of him, find one more. great. know we know there isn't just 2, where's there's one there's many.... so we pin the cats down for a check - nothing visable. My plan of attack is Frontline for each of them, flea collars IN my vacuum bag and will vacuum everything possible, wash everything that can be washed, and will set some soapy traps - what more to do???? I've never had fleas in the house before - and since I found 2 on the dog, it's safe to assume my house has them too?

(I have the most aweful case of the creepy-crawlies right now...:eek:)

LM1313
December 27th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Uh oh, the BAD kind of Christmas present!

My dog's never had fleas (it's too dry for them in the summer here), but I think if the dog has them, it probably means some have jumped off the dog and layed eggs in the carpets and such. :(

Good luck getting rid of them, I can imagine how annoying that must be!

~LM~

jessi76
December 28th, 2005, 09:46 AM
ya know, as if the fleas weren't bad enough.... last night while I'm TRYING to wash everything in sight, Tucker gets a wicked case of the zoomies.... puts a nice rip in my new $100 slipcover on the couch (so not only did I get to wash the huge thing, but now I get to sew it up) - grrrrrr - THEN, I look over, and he's chewing on the toilet bowl brush! omg... gross... and then later, the little stinker decided to drink the soapy trap I set for the damn fleas.... ugh.

good news though - I caught one in my soapy trap. ha ha!

glasslass
December 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I think there's a bug bomb for fleas in the house. Take your critters somewhere for a day when you use it. I've never had fleas either. I've always credited the Flea-Flea bar shampoo that I use.

BernerLver
December 28th, 2005, 09:35 PM
UGH...when I was younger our family cat got fleas! My mom did exacly what you are doing. Washed and vaccumed everything that wasn't nailed down.

I'm sorry to say that we actually made our cat sick in our over-zealous attempt to rid the house of the fleas. I think we used too many treatments on him :eek:

Hope you get everythig cleaned up. Not a great Christmas present :sorry:

Lise
December 29th, 2005, 09:54 AM
I went through flea infestation,wash vacuum over and over make sure you get rid of vacuum bag a piece of flea collar in the bag will kill any in the bag and a flea comb helps get them off and just drown any you get in soapy water.Good luck fleas are really horrible been there done that.Keep smiling they are worth it.

jessi76
December 29th, 2005, 10:16 AM
my cats and pup are definately worth any and all aggrevation... I think my crazy-lady cleaning did alot though, haven't seen any more. I do plan to continue the vacuuming/washing for a while though, for those that I can't see - I'll get them, I swear...

BernerLver, that is exactly why I don't want to use any "flea bomb" products - I simply refuse to risk getting any of our pets, or us, sick. They have a proper dose of Frontline, which is plenty of chemicals for them. If the problem persists, Borax and/or salt is next on my list to try.