Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wild Baby Squirrel!!!

Ruthie
October 8th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Hi,
I came home this evening and my cat had a baby squirrel. I took it away from her because I couldn't let her kill it. It is sooo cute. It was scared frozen. It let me pet it, I brought it in and put it in a box. I'm scared to touch it now. It's a wild animal. I just don't know what to do with it. Does anyone know if I can call someone that can take it and care for it.
And what do they eat? It is very small. I'm sure the mother was still taking care of it. I'm not sure if I should try to bottle feed it or not.

Lucky Rescue
October 8th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Ruthie, the squirrel may be injured, but if it doesn't eat soon, it will die.

Here is a link to a lot of sites to help you. Look at the bottom and you may be able to find a wildlife center near you to take it to, or find out how to care for it.

Good luck!
WV Wildlife Care (http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/)

Carina
October 8th, 2003, 10:22 PM
A friend found a baby squirrel once - it was practically newborn and the size of a lima bean! So she called it Bean. :) And she nursed it to young adulthood, then turned it over to a wildlife rehabilitation place.

As I recall - she fed it watered down rabbit pellets. It had to be kept warm. Fed every 2 hours or so, and gently rubbed so it would eliminate (if they are real tiny, they haven't developed the nerves to eliminate by themselves.)

If you call local vets, they most likely will be able to put you in touch with local wildlife rehabilitation folks.

I once raised a kitten from about a week old. I had to take her to work with me so I could feed her and keep her warm! It was pretty cool watching her grow - I had her for 15 years.