Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New dog doesn't like my husband...

DrmnOfMaui
December 26th, 2005, 05:51 PM
We recently adopted a rescued miniture poodle. Some of your prior tips have been most useful and she is doing much better in the potty training area! We've got a bell and are trying to work on that (although she's currently mostly scared of the bell....:) ).

My other delima is that she is terrified of my husband. He has never done anything but be nice to her. When we brought her home she didn't have a problem with him, but the more she bonds with me (we call her clingy poodle!) she is scared of him. Literally running the opposite direction with her tail between her legs when he walks her direction. She will let him hold her if I put her in his arms, but you can see that she is not comfortable. She has stopped shaking when he is near, so I guess this is progress?

Any tips?

Thanks you guys! Everyone here has been so helpful and nice, your ideas are all really appreciated.

Kim

coppperbelle
December 26th, 2005, 06:53 PM
My parents have a little rescue Bichon. In the beginning she was the same way with my father. She adored my mother but was leery of my father like your little one is of your husband. Eventually she warmed up to my father but she still adores my mother and follows her everywhere. I think it is important to give her time and allow her to approach him and not the other way around. Tell him to always have yummy treats in his pocket so that when she does come close he can give her one. You can also make him her source for food.

BMDLuver
December 26th, 2005, 09:47 PM
I agree with Copperbelle that I would make your husband her primary food giver. Also that he be the one to take care of the majority of her needs. Switch the reponsibilities over slowly and she will come around. My Berner was terrified of men and finally would run to greet my husband on return from work after about two months. She'll learn that he's a good guy in time.

Prin
December 26th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I agree with trying everything above. I would also try having your hubby watch tv on the floor. That way, he won't be moving for prolonged periods of time and might seem less threatening because he's lower down. The doggy might feel more comfortable after seeing him like that a few times and might approach. Your doggy just needs the hubby to be more predictable for her to approach.

tenderfoot
December 26th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I would have hubby put the dog on a leash and connect the two for a week or so. He shouldn't press himself into the dog's comfort zone but just be there when the dog is ready. He can pet a few times (scrumptious deep strokes or butt scratches - not pats) but then stop within a few seconds. Make the dog want more and come ask for it - don't make the dog nervous and feel pressured.
Wherever he goes the dog must follow. He should ask the dog to do lots of little jobs - sit, stay, down, etc. This all places him in the leadership role and gains the dogs trust too. He needs to be sensitive to the dog and not be too energetic or intense. Calm confidence speaks the loudest to dogs.

Byrd
December 26th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Um... you could just get rid of the hubby.... :p

Sorry, had to, couldn't resist! :crazy: