Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Self Express Checkout

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 23rd, 2005, 10:58 PM
A superstore recently just opened up here in town. They have a self express checkout. You actually scan, bag and pay for your own groceries.

The other day I thought I would give it a try. An automated voice talks to you the whole time, "place item on tray, place item in bag, over and over, it took each thing about 6 swipes before it would scan, and then my kids kept leaning against the checkout, which for some reason makes the scanner thing not work then it says please cashier if your too slow, please see cashier, pleaaaseee see cashier......."Shuuut uppp voiccee!!!! Then you have to weight the produce and put in the code. Of course I never did get anything into the bags, most of it was just thrown into the cart. Anyways it was quite the experience, I just thought I would share, just in case anyone every runs accross one the next time they go grocery shopping.

papillonmama
December 23rd, 2005, 11:11 PM
My mum uses those all the time at the high price store she goes to, I was surprised that they make you do all those things yourself and still charge you an arm and a leg for their items.

My experience was the same as yours, the scanner kept sending me to the cashier, it was a bit frustrating, I'd rather wait in line and just buy the magazine so I can finish reading the article when I get home.:D

Prin
December 24th, 2005, 02:12 AM
The whole thing goes by weight. If you scan milk, the machine is expecting the weight of a bag of milk in the bags. So if your kids lean on it, it screws it up.

I love those. Watching the people- who think they are better than any cashier, that anybody can be a good cashier and it's not a hard job- fumbling and trying to be quick about it. It's funny. People get so stressed out at those cashes. Hee hee.

SnowDancer
December 24th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Regettably I had to go to the Orange Box store which I hate. No one wanted to use the newly installed self-checkouts, but with only with human cashier and a line a mile long several of us "tried" to use it. As experienced by others, the voice was talking to me so loud you could hear it throughout the store and then it told me there was a problem due to weight - but it wasn't the weight of my product which had been scanned, it was the weight of my purse to the left of the machine - looked like a shelf - but heck I had to get my wallet out and there was no other place to put it. Same thing was happening to woman at next station. Guess not female friendly. Never will use again.

raingirl
December 24th, 2005, 11:19 AM
We have had those here for about 5 years. Never had a problem with them at all, except for the odd sale item that wasn't in the computer. We have a 24 hour store here and it was late one night and only one cash open, plus the self use. I used it and the lady who is there to watch them told me how it works. There are plates under the bags that weigh your groceries as you go, and you can't scan the next item until you put it in the bag.

Most groceries stores (and now even home depot has them) have them here, and I always use them. I can get though much faster than waiting at the cash, and I like having the control to see what my total is, and able to delete items as I go along if I decide I don't want them. PLus I always use debit (never cash) so it's convenient).

joanna
December 24th, 2005, 12:42 PM
The thing that bothers me most about self express check out is that if you buy a full cart you run out of places on the scale to leave already scanned items. You can't place the bags back into a cart until everything is complete because the machine keeps telling you to place the item back into the bag...

CyberKitten
December 24th, 2005, 01:47 PM
A Superstore has them here and I like it. no probs so far but no one is leaning on anything either. Had to get a cashier once for help with the weight of an ite, but crossing fingers, so far, so good. I tend to do it when there are long line ups and my probs with my back mean that if I have to stand too long, I am going to be in pain for A long time, so I like them for that, just get it over with!!! I also had a prob once when it registered an incorrexct item (a sale item that had not been marked dn, but a cashier was nearby so all was OK). Now of course - that I have advocated for them, I will have a prob, lol

raingirl
December 25th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I guess it's not convenient for family shopping, but for my BF and me it's fine.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I guess I shouldnt have tried it for the first time with 37 items in the cart two hyper kids and me a frazzled mom. :eek:

BMDLuver
December 25th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Can't stand them.. would rather stand the extra 30 minutes in line... do a huge order when I shop so damned if I'm going to struggle to bag and scan the stuff myself.

Prin
December 26th, 2005, 12:29 AM
But don't they make you appreciate cashiers more?