Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another hypothetical...

Prin
December 23rd, 2005, 12:45 AM
Your bills are paid, you've taken your dream vacation (twice), spent a week at the spa, bought a whole new wardrobe, gotten all the dogs you want (plus paid for 35 years of "super gold" doggy insurance ahead of time for each one).

Now the holidays are approaching and you're feeling generous and giving. From that $5 million+$2000 that you already won in the other hypothetical threads, you have $10,000 left. Who would you give it to?

(There was a question like this on the radio today and I was mad that only one person mentioned animals...:rolleyes: The majority of the people were focused on sick kids... Not that there's anything wrong with that...;) )

I would give it to rescues who were actually making a difference, like the Montreal SPCA-- I'm kidding!!! :clown: I mean all the "little" guys, like the Boxer Rescue, Golden Rescue, Lucky Rescue, Teddy's!, SOS Miow, and all them. The real good guys.

I wonder how diverse this will be...

StaceyB
December 23rd, 2005, 12:48 AM
Well seeing as I must have over spent if I only have 10,000 left and bought everything I would ever want I would have to invest the left overs. The kids still have to go to school.
Wow am I ever bad with money.

Prin
December 23rd, 2005, 12:51 AM
You've already taken care of all the things you could possibly ever need (and the needs of your family too.) ALLL taken care of (i.e. you have to give the money away) ;)

StaceyB
December 23rd, 2005, 01:06 AM
I think since everyone is else will be donating to animal rescues I will donate mine to a rescue group but to pay for the adoptees first training course with their new dog. I probably would have since retired but I would gladly train and pay someone to help with these dogs.

Prin
December 23rd, 2005, 01:08 AM
ooo that's a good one.:)

StaceyB
December 23rd, 2005, 01:10 AM
Well ya see I didn't want to be the same as someone else.

BMDLuver
December 23rd, 2005, 07:36 AM
Excellent idea StacyB as it would definitely cut down on the shelter returns which in turn would help to save them more money. :thumbs up

I think I would give half to Foster Parents plan and the other half to SPCA Monteregie. Kids and animals, two helpless groups.

Lizzie
December 23rd, 2005, 08:27 AM
I would use the money to get every senior in a nursing home of my choice a gift--probably a new, fuzzy blanket, a stuffed animal, some personal care products and some soft candies. Just a little package for each of them, since many of them spend Christmas alone...in fact, many of them spend most days alone. :(

Rick C
December 23rd, 2005, 09:29 AM
Make A Wish Foundation for terminally ill children.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

meb999
December 23rd, 2005, 09:37 AM
I would give 1/2 to Cancer research and the other 1/2 to Boxer Rescue Qc.

SnowDancer
December 23rd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Half to Lyndhurst Lodge to directly help patients sufferering from spinal cord injuries and half to my vet to cover costs of surgery for loving parents of pets unable to afford the surgery - to be used at her discretion - but with my preference being for neuro related problems - paralysis etc.

papillonmama
December 23rd, 2005, 06:27 PM
I would split it three ways, one amount to animal shelter, one amount to an organization in Toronto devoted to bringing art to street involved youth, and the rest I would bring with me so that I could help more of the people that I see when I walk down the street. I've always wanted to be able to just give those people what they need, I prefer to buy food and clothes as opposed to giving money.
My way of paying back kindness that was once bestowed upon myself...

poodletalk
December 23rd, 2005, 07:57 PM
Thank-you of thinking of the SPCA Monteregie BMD LUVER! :)

For sure I would donate to the SPCA Monteregie to help them build there new cage free SPCA.

I would also donate to the Bond Foundation, so we can get the catch and release program running 100%

I would also donate to couple of women shelters and Cancer research.

twinmommy
December 23rd, 2005, 10:54 PM
This is interesting that this should come up today.

I was in the car today listening to the radio and they were discussing the
14000 dollars raised for baby Toga, the penguin that recently made the news.

I know we are a pets and animal lovers site, but to tell you the truth, I thought this was quite sad. We are reminded at this time of year how unfortunate some families are, some homeless, and those who will celebrate in hospital, in shelters, etc etc etc and yet we managed to put together 14 grand for a penguin.

Great.

We'll I don't want to hijack, that being said, most of my point already having being stated, I'd split it three ways between hospitals, women's shelters, and sun Youth.

Prin
December 24th, 2005, 03:03 AM
I see your point twinmommy. Whatever is on the news with sad, guilty images gets the money. It sucks for the rest of them.

joeysmama
December 24th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Well I'd like to give money to The Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston.

And then I'd like to do some random acts. Like slip a hundred dollar bill into someone's hand in the Toys R Us store just before Christmas. You know? Find someone you know might be struggling and then just hand them the money and keep going so they can't know who you are or thank you. Once I was in the grocery store and there was a young woman there whose card wouldn't go through and she kept telling them to try again even though it was coming up insufficient. But she didn't seem to get it that it wouldn't work if they kept trying. (She was probably slightly challenged.) Most of her order was frozen dinners and cleaning products. There was an ice storm on the way and she asked if she could come back and they said yes, and the manager started to take away her food and I was pretty certain she had no money at home and wasn't coming back. So I just told them to add my order to hers and I would take of it. And she just said, very softly "Are you sure?"

I cried for days.

It was a very small order, only something like 30 dollars I think. But wouldn't it be fun to get in line behind an elderly person on purpose and do something like that??? I could have a ball getting rid of that money.

Prin
December 24th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Ya, I saw that once but for Christmas trees. The lady couldn't afford it and when she was walking away, I decided to buy her a tree. I was only around 17 or 18. It made her cry and I'll never forget it...:(

glasslass
December 26th, 2005, 10:15 PM
I would like to put a rescue dog or cat into homes of seniors, paying for their food and veterinary care, and assurance that the pet would be taken care of if the senior became unable to remain at home or died. Corky was a joy to my mom the last 3 years of her life and she died knowing he'd be cared for and loved. I'm afraid this dream would fall under the $5 million dream; $10K wouldn't go very far.