Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help with a new pet

Vicky B
December 22nd, 2005, 09:41 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new so be patient with me!
I need help...please. I rescued this really cute mini schnauzer from the local Humane Society and I can't get him to stop peeing in my house. He pees on my furniture, tables etc. I love him dearly; I'm frustrated. He is three and has been neutered for three months.
Thank you!
Vicky B

StaceyB
December 22nd, 2005, 09:49 PM
You need to go back to basics as if he were an 8 week old puppy. He should also be crate trained and should not be able to run free in your home. He needs to be supervised at all times and if you are unable to supervise he should be crated.
How is he peeing on tables?

Lucky Rescue
December 22nd, 2005, 10:05 PM
HI Vicky!

Is your dog only peeing in the house? Don't know how long you've had him, but when you brought him home, did you just give him run of the house immediately?

He's 3 years old, was dumped from the only home he knew and went to the shelter, then your house. If you let him loose, he was probably overwhelmed and anxious, therefore decided to mark everything to make himself feel more secure - "This is mine!!" Then when you get mad, he gets more anxious.

You need to start over and be patient. You must confine him when you can't watch him or go out, and tie him to you when you're home. Keep his leash on, and correct him if he looks like he might be going to lift his leg. Give a "NO!" to startle him for a second, then take him right out. You must NOT give him a chance to pee. Make sure he is on a strict schedule, and take him out regularly. When he pees outside, praise him like crazy.

As Stacey said, use a crate, and be patient and consistant!:)