Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sister wanting to get kitten

xFire Angelx
December 22nd, 2005, 12:49 AM
hey guys i just found today that my sister wants to get a kitten for her son for christmas hes just under 2 years old and honestly she cant even handle having a child theres no way shed be willing to clean out the kittens litter box twice a day shes lazy she doesnt even clean up after herself

how do i talk her out of getting a kitten?
she had 2 cats she gave one to someone and i think he was put down because of medical problems and she gave smokey to us a few years ago he had A LOT of medical problems while he was in her care he was very very overactive and he had a crystals in his urine at all times the vet couldnt figure out why... she threw him over to me and had me take him ever since then hes been in perfect health no overactive problems and no crystals at all
hes been in perfect health actually better than the other 2
she got tired of dealing with them
AND THEN a few months back she decided to get a puppy... well the puppy was chewing on things and chewed on her sons toes a lil bit and instead of teaching the puppy she gave him back TO THE PET STORE where she got him... if you cant tell im very annoyed with my sister and i have to talk her into not getting a kitten or cat of any sort she should never own an animal shes too lazy to take care of them
help!

Bushfire2000
December 22nd, 2005, 01:14 AM
Hmmm, thats a hard one some people never learn from their mistakes.
Would reminding her of past problems help.
Give her a list of the costs of owning a kitten might work.
You know Vet fees, dishes,cat food, litter box, litter, cat toys, license if appropriate,cute collar, I.D.tag/microchip,cat kennel/bed.
Possible health hazard to young son (truthfully cat bites can be horrendous) of course they prefer to use their claws:)

chico2
December 22nd, 2005, 08:22 AM
Fireangel welcome back!! I would tell your sister to get the child a stuffed cat,lots of cute ones in the store!! A kitten is not a toy and with your sisters history,SHE should never have the priviledge of owning a cat again!
How's Baby doing and all the others??

Shaykeija
December 22nd, 2005, 06:27 PM
Ok. She should not have the privilege of ever owning a pet. Nuff said,

xFire Angelx
December 29th, 2005, 06:06 PM
hey guys... omg so so sorry for not being here as much as id like
this time of year is INSANE!!!!
well she didnt get any pet of any kind THANK GOD!!!! honestly i think she just got too lazy to go get one but im fine with that lol
shes having problems with her husband so i think it has her preoccupied for now and yeah when the subject comes around again ill be prepared im going to make a list of points to make to her and remind her of babys accident... even strictly indoor cats can get sick and it can cost that much or more i think that would make her think twice

oh thank you for asking about baby
hes doing soo much better when he runs he doesnt lift it and only use the 3 legs he runs with all 4 now and going up and down the stairs isnt a problem anymore hes still limping but its getting better little by little... smokey still attacks him and i have tried everything to get him to stop
for christmas my family came down from seattle for 2 nights and they brought their dog.. we think hes part hound and german shepard the cats all did great with him
lucky(the dog) grew up around cats so he was a good boy around them(hes the most well behaved dog ive ever seen) the cats didnt attack him or even run away from him but whenever he got too close for their comfort they let him know lol i think though if lucky had been here for another day or 2 the kitties would be totaly comfortable around him

anyways thank you again guys for your advice im gonna start making the list of points now just incase:thumbs up