Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Joeys cat friend

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 21st, 2005, 01:56 PM
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22132

The cat whose pic I posted in the above thread. Is now hanging out at our front door, it seems every time I open the door he is there waiting at our door step. I think he is waiting for Joey, as he always comes running up to us when we go on our walks. My hubby wont let the cat in the house and think the cat should go home. But I feel sorry for the cat, he looks well fed, but he is always outside, I think he may live next door in the basement suite but I am not sure and I never see the owner. I know my hubby doesnt want a cat so I have to respect that. But I am thinking of letting the cat inside on occasion to get out of the cold. Joey and the cat get along so there is no issue there. I dont know whether the cat is male of female or if he/she is fixed or not either so there is always the issue of spraying to I suppose.

jiorji
December 21st, 2005, 02:50 PM
can you pick it up?

if you can you can probably check if it's a male or female or if it's neutered. Can't really tell if it's a spayed female.

I may be wrong but spaying won't happen just cos he's in a new house. My new cat wasn't spayed when I got her and there was no spraying to mark territory. (maybe that only happens with males,not sure)

I want to say that most cats spray when in heat....and/or when they see other cats in heat.....but i don't have personal experience with this so I won't go any further.

Only advice I can offer is : make sure cat doesn't have access to the whole house if you let her come in. She/he may find a cozy spot and hide. On the bright side....hubby would never find it :D hehe

cats...those little explorers :p

CyberKitten
December 21st, 2005, 03:02 PM
Is there any way of finding out of the kitty belongs to someone in the neighbourhood? Does s/he have a collar for exa,ple? Does s/he look well fed? If you think the cat is a stray, it is a cold time of the year and if it were me, I would bring the cat in and find a small room where you can isolate it - vaccinations, etc - but I would try to find the "owner" if you can. It soun ds like this kitty either needs help (are you feeding her?) or on the bright side, may be a neighbour who wants to play. You need to find out. Your vet may know since ppl living in nearby communities sometimes use the same vet.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 21st, 2005, 08:12 PM
That cat has a collar on it, and it looks well fed. It is on the small side so I am guessing he or she is under a year. Unless the cat is just small. I am thinking it either lives next door or across the street. Next time he comes by I will take a look at his collar and ask the neighbours when I see them. It just seems strange to me that the cat is outside all day. You'd think even if he was an outdoor cat, he wouldnt be outside 24/7.

CyberKitten
December 21st, 2005, 08:27 PM
Maybe once you find the "owners", you can teach them about the hazards of cats being outdoors.

Rick C
December 22nd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Abby and Keeper have had numerous "cat" friends who come from various neighbours into our yard and like to hang out with them . . . . . after they've run him/her up a fencepost or tree the first few times of course.

As we live in the country, these cats seem to have shorter lives with coyotes around.

The cat below, Gretz, did not belong to us but this was a common scene:

http://www.goldentales.ca/new20.jpg

We never fed him and never let him into the house but we would find him curled up under snowy quilts in 30 below weather on our deck, toasty as anything.

Although immortalized in this story on our website (http://www.goldentales.ca/gretz.htm), Gretz was run over by his owners with their car one day. And that was a damned shame.

I think these cats get more attention from you than they do at home, hence they hang out at your place even if you don't feed them or let them in.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca