Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advice about Joey peeing when away from home

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 21st, 2005, 01:33 PM
Well we have another issue with Joey which I mentioned a few weeks back.

That is peeing when not at home. I took him to a doggie daycare where he peed in their house/or marked. The other day I took him to petmart and he peed in their store :eek: :o . Joey never pees in the house, he only seems to do this when we are out.
I realise I could leave him home, but I would like Joey to realise that he cant do this.
We would like to take Joey when we visit my family in Vancouver and my parents love him, my grandfather bred English Cockers 70 years ago, so my mom is quite fond of Joey. Anyways Joey is welcome in their house, but I am so scared he is going to lift his leg and try and mark. My sister had her eldery lab living there for a while and he had some accidents in the house, so the smell might still be there. If Joey did this I know my mom would freak and Joey wouldnt be welcome anymore. Has anyone had this problem and had any success correcting it. Can a dog go to a place where another dog has marked, but not mark on top of it.

Joey was also neutured I believe around 2 yrs so later, I am thinking this is a big factor as well.

Lucky Rescue
December 21st, 2005, 02:33 PM
Since Joey is an adult, housetrained dog, firmer methods are needed to make him stop this.

Keep a leash on him wherever you go, and if you think he's looking like he's considering peeing, correct him firmly, take him out and praise when he pees.

If this doesn't work, then I suggest a bellyband. Once or twice peeing on himself should make him change his mind about hiking his leg indoors. You need to stop this asap, since mature males marking territory in the house can be a real problem, as you're finding out!

StaceyB
December 21st, 2005, 02:56 PM
It means that there are scents from other dogs in these places. He is marking them. seeing as he was 6 yrs when he was fixed, this has been a long time behaviour.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 21st, 2005, 08:26 PM
I wonder if I should go straight for the belly band. It happens so quickly when he does it, or if I should just try and correct him before he does it and try to work out the problem first. At least I know the belly band is an option. :) I am not sure exactly how to work on this either as he isnt normally away from home. I guess I could take him to the other pet store wait to see if he tries to lift his leg correct him immediatley and take him outside before he pees. I dont think I want to bring Joey back to the first store he peed in. (I have a suspicion maybe he was protesting the puppies for sale)

I can't really take him to other peoples houses and ask them if Joey can practice not peeing in the house. :eek:

Prin
December 21st, 2005, 09:54 PM
The problem with the belly band is won't he need a bath after? If you're at somebody's house, you're going to have to visit with a dog that's wet with pee. :confused:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 21st, 2005, 11:33 PM
Well I was reading about them and you can put a sanitary napkin in them to absorb the pee. They also say to get two so one can dry out. Hopefully like lucky rescue said he wont like it and will stop marking in the house.

Its not something I need to worry about at home as he has never peed in the house just when we visit. We wont be visiting my parents until the summer so I have some time to work on the issue. I might take him to the pet store just to actually work on this issue. I am not sure where else would be a good place to do it.

StaceyB
December 21st, 2005, 11:35 PM
The pet store is a great place to practice.