Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

"I don't like THOSE types of dogs" (huh?!)

jessi76
December 21st, 2005, 09:47 AM
some guy yesterday actually said to my bf, "I don't like THOSE types of dogs". It was a delivery guy - and he freaked out because Tucker barked at him. ummm hello... he's a 9mth old pup. it was a "hey! someone new is here! yayyy!" type of bark too... not an "I'm going to eat you" type bark.

and Tucker is a basenji-mix. So my bf says "what TYPES of dogs? basenji's? cause that's what he is ya know, and even if he was all PB, he'd still be my adorable puppy, who wouldn't hurt a fly"

actually, Tucker eats flies, but that's not the point. I'm just a bit jilted by the first negative comment my dog has received. I know the majority of you guys in Canada deal with this on a daily basis, and it TRULEY saddens me.

ok, rant over.

Prin
December 21st, 2005, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I don't like those types of people.:D

StaceyB
December 21st, 2005, 02:26 PM
Ya, they attack for no apparent reason! And they thought the dogs were bad.

shannonRN
December 21st, 2005, 03:18 PM
Ironically, my dog DOES do an "I'm going to eat you" kind of bark when delivery people come, and most of them say "wow, he's beautiful, I love shepherds" etc. It's amazing how biased people are, without questioning their opinions. Myself included, though I try to question why I think the way I do.

BernerLver
December 21st, 2005, 07:01 PM
Sadly dogs, like people, fall victim to stereotypes that have little to no factual basis. :(

shelly75
December 22nd, 2005, 11:49 AM
My bf said he didnt like lapdogs prior to me getting Marley and guess what Marley has my bf wrapper around her paws now she even sleeps with him:o

raingirl
December 23rd, 2005, 04:07 PM
We get that sometimes with our dog. I don't think they meant to be rude, just probably scared of dogs.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 23rd, 2005, 08:10 PM
Its sad when people dont like dogs and just generalise like that. Perhaps he just had a bad experience and is now scared off or he listens to all the hype about pitbull mixes and chooses to believe only the bad and not the good.

When we were looking for a dog I was reading about boxers and what great dogs they were, sadly my hubbie said he was bitten by one as a child and is now fearful of them. I hope one day he can be reintroduced to one and that fear will go away.

joanna
December 23rd, 2005, 08:52 PM
Jessi... I know how you feel...

"I HATE THOSE TYPES of DOGS" apply to every dogs.

Before my two cockers, I used to have a small maltese.
Yes she was one of those "teacups" and yes I lost her three months ago for all the reasons that you should never buy one. (But six years ago, I was a naive college girl who didn't know any better.)

One day she just started to bark at this tall black man.
It was at night, in a strip-mall parking lot, and I didn't see him at first because he was dressed completely in black.

He started to rant. These were his exact words:
"I HATE those goddamn white racist dogs!"
.. blah blah...

My dog, being a maltese, was, yes, white.
I'm sure my dog was not racist. She was just startled by a tall dark figure appear from the dark.

Thank GOD my friend came out of the store in time.
My best friend is black so she completely shoved her foot in his mouth.

twodogsandacat
December 24th, 2005, 08:37 AM
"I HATE those goddamn white racist dogs!"
.. blah blah...

Are there are any ‘King of the Hill’ fans out there? Does anybody remember the episode where Peggy hires a black repairman with the voice of Bernie Mack. Ladybird attacks Mack, he accuses her of being a racist dog and quits. When a dog trainer tells Hank that Ladybird subconsciously follows Hank's lead, everyone accuses Hank of being racist too. Turns out Ladybird doesn’t like something else about repair men and it has nothing to do with race so Hank’s off the hook but it was hilarious.

It’s not hilarious to think that your dog is a racist though. I live in a somewhat white community that is finally showing some colour. The first time Dalton saw a black person when we were out walking he kept turning around to look at the man. By this I mean he would stop completely and turn his body, ears up and head erect. As he was walking behind us now it was pretty damn obvious too. I was getting embarrassed and kept saying let’s go but he wouldn’t stop doing it. It seemed to be a curiosity thing and not a protection thing but still I wasn’t quite comfortable with it and fell hook line and sinker that my dog may be racist.

Then when we stopped to wait for traffic the man caught up. Although sitting, as he should he wouldn’t take his eyes off of this man. The man asked if he was friendly and I said yes. The man reached down and petted him and Dalton went nuts. He stood and brushed against him and pretty much gave him the ‘pet me pet me’ shake. In the words of Kanye West “my dog likes black people”. I was very relived.

Now if only he would accept those people in white lab coats, he doesn’t like those people.