Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

older people and puppies

angie79
December 21st, 2005, 09:50 AM
yesterday we took cooper back to the breeders for a hair cut,and as always we ask if they have puppies..... love looking at the pups....and she said there is a wild one in there if we need a second, to keep cooper company.

so we go to look at the puppies and we see what she ment by wild one there is a 7 month old male in there... so we ask her son about him and he said an older couple wanted a pup and they now find him too much and gave him back for them to find him a new home.....

so of couse i need to pick him up and hug him.... he's so good....
"just needs some love" then they asked i we wanted to take him for a walk....
I knew i couldn't or cooper would have a brother... so we left when we came back... david told us that cooper wrote to santa asking him for a little brother...

I feel bad for the poor guy part of me say go back and get him...but the other part says too stress full for the little guy if it doesn't work out with cooper.. i would have to take him back or rehome him again thats not fair to the little guy!!!

in conclusion to my rant why couldn't this older couple realize that the little guy would be work????

He would be perfect, for some one older house broken they already did the hard part!!!!

Lucky Rescue
December 21st, 2005, 10:07 AM
in conclusion to my rant why couldn't this older couple realize that the little guy would be work????

Maybe this breeder should screen buyers more thoroughly and not give puppies to elderly people who can't handle them. Sometimes older people may have just lost their elderly dog and truly forgotten how much work a puppy really is, and need to be reminded.

It's up to the breeders to train him and get him ready to go to a new, and hopefully, permanent home. Shouldn't be difficult!

Prin
December 21st, 2005, 03:01 PM
Yeah, a guy at our park's son gave him a dog for his birthday- a lab puppy. He's not strong enough to train her and despite her being very easy to train and very willing, she is just nuts. And she's fat, oh my is she fat!

Young puppies are a horrible idea for the elderly. IMO.

SchnauzerGirl
December 21st, 2005, 06:13 PM
I totally agree! An older couple in my boyfriend's apartment building bought a maltese / lasa cross in the summer and she is wild! The elderly lady was complaining that the dog gets "nuts" and was too much work for her. I often wonder what possessed them to buy a dog in the first place? I guess they aren't even planning on taking the dog to obedience classes either....

BMDLuver
December 21st, 2005, 08:41 PM
There is a lady in NDG who gets a new pup every 6 months... she picks poodles, bichons, spaniels, shihtzu's etc... all bought from breeders.. then she dumps them or meets someone in a park and sell the dog to them. She is older and shouldn't be allowed to get a pup in the first place. Honestly, I would tend to question this breeders choice of a ppo as well.

shannonRN
December 21st, 2005, 09:45 PM
I agree that someone who is physically unable to keep up with a puppy, or any dog, is not a good candidate for adoption or purchase of a dog, but you have to be careful about judging based solely on age. There are plenty of capable, active 'older' people out there. My dad is one old fart who does a great job of raising his puppy.

Prin
December 21st, 2005, 09:53 PM
I agree- I don't think it has to do with age but how old the person is. I know a lot of old people that are in their 50's and younger people in their 70's. You know?

Bushfire2000
December 21st, 2005, 10:06 PM
While I would not suggest giving my Stepfather(he is in questionable health) a puppy, I do support that animals of all kinds are benificial:angel: , to an elderly persons health. I try to visit him and my mother with Buster or Lacey regularly. Elderly persons can provide very good homes for shelter animals that are grown and housetrained already. It is important to pick an animal that suits the life style of the person, which clearly this breeder did not.

mona_b
December 21st, 2005, 10:35 PM
Maybe this breeder should screen buyers more thoroughly and not give puppies to elderly people who can't handle them. Sometimes older people may have just lost their elderly dog and truly forgotten how much work a puppy really is, and need to be reminded.

It's up to the breeders to train him and get him ready to go to a new, and hopefully, permanent home. Shouldn't be difficult!

I definately agree with this.

And yes,the breeder should definately be doing the retraining before selling him to a new owner.Cause if not,that puppy just might end up right back at the breeders.

There is an elderly widowed man(late 70"s) on my dads street(friend) who recieved a JRT pup from his son a few years ago.And I must say,Ross did a great job training him.He is not your typical hyper JRT..He is very well obedient.Very calm and loves everyone.It can be done.But with the knowledge of training and patience...:) And after Ross had his hip(both) surgery and was up to par,he was back out there walking him....:)

StaceyB
December 22nd, 2005, 12:30 AM
I have had many, many elderly persons take classes with me over the years. Only one of them should not have chosen to get a puppy(husky). The elderly I am speaking of have been in their 80's and even one who was in his 90's. The only thing that concerned me with their age was what was going to happen to the dog if something happened to them. As for the training and care of the puppy, they were no different than anyone else who gets a pup. I have one a dog coming back into class that was with his elderly owner who has now gone into a home and the dog has gone to his son. The son is bringing him back to classes and did attend with his father in the previous classes.
It is hard to say whether puppies should go to elderly parents. As long as these people are aware of what they are going to go through with a puppy and are willing to do everything they need to in regards to training and exercise then they should be able to get the pup. A good experienced breeder should be able to tell whether the people purchasing the puppy will be a good fit for them.

angie79
December 22nd, 2005, 07:32 AM
I guess i should clearify abit, the breeder does scren and this does not happen often to her. She has it in the contract that she be notified and have the opertunity to take back her dogs so that her dogs do not end up in shelters. i think that makes her responsible.

my boyfriends grand mother (80 years old) has a baby golden, can not and will never be strong enough to control it or keep up with it. and does not understand the dogs energy or thet it wants to play... we keep telling her its a baby!!!
we told her if she wanted a dog to go to a breeder and find a bitch that is being retired

I guess i am just frustrated.... we have gotten 3 dogs total (2 my mom and one for myself once i moved out) she interviewed us for 1 hour before letting us see the dogs) last year when we went to see cooper (he was born just before christmas) she asked if he was a christmas present!!

I think she is responsible..

chico2
December 22nd, 2005, 08:10 AM
I guess I fall into the"elderly"category:D (61)and were it not for my 3 demanding kitties,I would be fully capable to train and love a pup.
I would stay away from Jack Russels(my grand-doggy)but would love a Sheltie or anything else:love:

mona_b
December 22nd, 2005, 11:08 PM
Just out of curiosity,does this breeder show her dogs?

Screened for an hour? you where lucky...LOL

I was screened for hours..And this was BEFORE the breeding took place.

What screening does this breeder do?..What contracts does she have?

Is this pup neutered?

joeysmama
December 22nd, 2005, 11:42 PM
I've been thinking seriously about a dog for my mother. She is a very young 82. She is quite active. Up early, bath, make-up and out of the house every day. She lives two and half hours away from all her kids, grandkids and great grandkids but hops in her little jeep and hits the road all the time. She has sometimes shown up at my house just to have lunch and then goes home after. And she takes the bus to Atlantic City every few weeks.

But I think that she is very lonely by herself. She really enjoys dogs and always came and dog sat Joey for us. In five years he was never boarded. And she cat sits for my brother as well. I think a dog would be a very healthy lifestyle change for her. An older, housebroken dog. Probably mid-sized.

But I'm not rushing into it. I want to weigh all the options. While she is active she also does have emphysema and at 82 any number of health problems could flare up. I would be prepared to take the dog if she weren't able to meet it's needs. And of course the dog would be welcome in any of our homes, and I would hope that we would have that opportunity a lot so that he or she would be quite comfortable here should I need to give it a home for some reason. (Like if Naunnie runs off with some guy she meets on the bus.;) )

Anyway, I thought this thread was timely as I am carefully weighing the pros and cons of the situation. It might be wonderful for both the dog and my mom. But I need to carefully consider the needs of both !

mona_b
December 23rd, 2005, 12:01 AM
joeysmama,why not get her a cat???

My dad is 84 now.Pretty good shape also I may add....:D

When I moved out I had my 2 dogs and cat.The dogs were definately coming with me.But I couldn't leave him all alone,so I left my cat with him.And to be honest,I think that was the best thing I did.He loves "his" cat..LOL..And he loved the boys.I only have the one now,but we are there on most weekends.And at times I have dropped Tron off with him for the day,sometimes the weekend.

Now if something happens to my dad,Phoenix will come to me.How I am going to manage her and my other 2 cats is beyond me.Phoenix HATES cats big time.She is a Calico with attitude.......:rolleyes:

I don't think I would think about getting him an older dog....He seems VERY happy with Poenix....:)

My MIL lost her budgie quite some time ago.We could tell she was lonely.So a couple of months ago we adopted a budgie from the SPCA...She isn't lonely anymore....:)

JanM
December 24th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I have to add my 2 cents here also - how old is old????? I am officially "a little old lady" - last year I got a Golden puppy - he is now 1.5 yrs and this year I got him a playmate (at 8 wks of age) - Amber is now 4.5 months. Yes, they are a lot of work but there is old and there is unable. Bobby is a well-trained puppy and Amber is coming along nicely too. Some people generally should not have dogs - whether puppies or not - they just don't either have the time or they don't spend the time needed so I'm not at all sure I can agree with the age part of this thread - except for the comment about older folks having dogs and what happens if the people die before the dog??? Well, I have a codicil in my will that takes care of that and it's a simple thing to do - perhaps this could be considered as part of the adoption process???? Just a few thoughts..

Prin
December 24th, 2005, 03:47 PM
That's exactly why I said "old people" shouldn't have dogs, but young people can, no matter what age they are. ;) I think it's not a question about age, but "old" vs "not old". You know?