Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

rats

animatch
December 20th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Can anyone suggest where we could get a nice fancy rat? I hate pet shops. I had a rat many years ago & he was a great little pet for 2 years.

happycats
December 20th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Our humane society often has them for adoption, you may want to try your local humane society.

Lucky Rescue
December 20th, 2005, 10:37 PM
OH I love rats!! But please dont' get just one. Rats are highly social, and suffer without company, especially during the night when they are most active. They love having a buddy to groom, play and cuddle with!:)

There are a bunch of rats listed on Petfinder!
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=1&pet.Breed=Rat&Submit=Go%21

Or I suggest you visit this Yahoo group to find adoptable rats in the Montreal area.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canada-Rat-Adoption/

mesaana
December 20th, 2005, 10:46 PM
I love ratties too!

My friend adopted from this group:
Small Victories Rodent Rescues
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/QC26.html

His 2 girls are absolutely lovely! Some of their siblings are still available, I think.

Oh, and I agree with Lucky, they do much better as a same sex pair.

Good luck!

Lyne

Lucky Rescue
December 20th, 2005, 11:05 PM
they do much better as a same sex pair.

Right. While being up to one's eyeballs in baby rats sounds delightful to me, it's not always practical.:p

I accidentally ended up with two girls and a boy, so had to get my boy - Ashley Peebody - neutered, so they could live together. Had to keep the girlies safe!!:D

Prin
December 21st, 2005, 12:03 AM
I know it's best to adopt a ratty who needs a home, but in case you were looking for a baby, there are rat breeders around too.;)

BMDLuver
December 21st, 2005, 07:10 AM
Give Debbie Boran with Watchdog Committee a holler. I believe she has rats as well available normally. I too love rats, great little creatures!

animatch
December 21st, 2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks a bunch...I will look into all these avenues. I forgot Debbie Boran usually has. I will let you all know how it goes.

animatch
January 15th, 2006, 02:54 PM
We got our two boy rats this week....now named Brad 'the brave' - super curious & Marvin 'the dentist' - he pulls your lip & cleans your teeth.
We are very proud to have adopted them through (Small Victories Rodent Rescue) they are super nice & informative. These boys have been very well taken care of & we love them.

BMDLuver
January 15th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Awww, they are very handsome! Congrats.

chico2
January 15th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Awww,they are adorable!! I too love rats,but unfortunately so do my cats:evil:

Lucky Rescue
January 15th, 2006, 04:27 PM
AWWWWW - what adorable hoodie boyz!! I'm so jealous. I'd love more rats, but with all these darn stupid cats, I just can't.:)

Enjoy them!!!!:D

mesaana
January 16th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Very cute!!! Congratulations on the new additions to your family!

Prin
January 16th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Very pretty ratties!:)

lilspaz68
March 2nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Lovely boys! I am glad you got them off of Jane.

BullLover
March 6th, 2006, 12:16 PM
What Cuties!!!

BullLover
April 28th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Here's a pic of my guy Lenny. He's sitting in my lap and is much bigger than he looks in this picture...

http://www.pets.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16068&stc=1&d=1146230244

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Lenny is adorable!! I wish more people would realize that rats are one of the best pets out there, bar none!:)

Prin
April 28th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Soooo cute! Congrats!:)

BullLover
April 28th, 2006, 08:29 PM
He's nearly two now. :)

Prin
April 28th, 2006, 08:50 PM
oh... sorry... :o I thought this was a "new rat" thread...:o

I never got mine to live much longer than two, unfortunately. They all got some form of cancer- I didn't get them from a reputable place though... :(

He's such a cute blondie.:)

animatch
April 30th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Well these boys that we adopted have been more than amazing, unfortunatly one, does have tumors. Three came up within a month, then no more. So far, they are not causing him any problem but they are just gross:eek: The vet doesn't reccomend removing because there are too many & too big, so we will enjoy him til we see signs of trouble. They are brothers, we got both castrated & they both eat the same food...go figure.

Lucky Rescue
April 30th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Oh sorry to hear that.:( This is what makes rats such heartbreaking pets...

BullLover
May 1st, 2006, 07:44 AM
:sorry: That's what I dislike about ratties...that they are extremely prone to tumors. Other than that, they are the best pets in the world. :sad: