Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Slipping on Hardwood

puppy4ever
December 20th, 2005, 12:22 AM
I once read something that a dog's paw fur should be trimmed in between the toe pads? I'm finding when my puppy is burning rubber around a corner that he often slips and falls on his side - on lino & hardwood.

I've tried to buzz off some of the fur with my hubby's nose hair clipper/ electric razor (shhh don't say anything) but my pup pulled his paw away so I stopped. Should I maybe get him groomed by someone who knows what they are doing? Or do you still think he will slip?

Prin
December 20th, 2005, 12:34 AM
You can buy round tipped scissors that might be safer, but I'd definitely use scissors rather than a clipper. I don't think that will help with the slipping though. It helps in the snow because less snow collects between the pads and maybe if you're walking in the woods less burrs or twigs will get caught, but other than that, I don't think it does anything else.

Beaglemom
December 20th, 2005, 07:33 AM
I've had dogs with fur between the pads and also had hardwood floors. I must say that when those hairs get long, they can lose traction on hardwood floors (especially polished and varnished ones) and also on ceramic and linoleum floors.

Dogs tend to be quite ticklish in that area and the clippers vibrate which can frighten some dogs and/or tickle more than clipping with a rounded tip pair of scissors. I used scissors to clip my dogs feet. Also, it is extremely important to make sure that their nails are kept trimmed as well since long nails can also make them lose traction on slippery floor surfaces.

But trimming the hair is not going to stop them from sliding to a stop after barreling down the hallway and trying to make a sharp turn! My beagle doesn't have long fur between her pads and she still has yet to learn that running at breakneck speed and then making a sharp turn on hardwood will cause you to slip and lose the back end!

Rubber backed area rugs strategically placed can help, but remember that a sliding dog will take the rug with them!

StinkyT
December 20th, 2005, 09:06 AM
My in-laws' bull terrier has a problem with slipping on the hardwood and linoleum in the house and he's got short hair. It's a common thing for larger dogs since they are higher off the ground. Once he slips, he'll panic and do that whole "tap dancing/running in one spot" thing until he makes it to a "safe spot". One thing they do is for areas he uses more often, like where he eats, is put down mats and rugs for traction.

If you've got a long hallway you could try a runner so your dog doesn't skid around corners as easily.

StaceyB
December 20th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Clippers are much safer to use between the pads than scissors. It would cost you about 5$ to get a groomer to do it.

jessi76
December 20th, 2005, 10:12 AM
we put hardwood floors in a little while ago - for the first few weeks, I was in hysterics....daily. Tucker looked like a cartoon... sliding... crashing into things... rugs flying... everytime he got the zoomies, it was total destruction.

He's much better now that he has the hang of it, occassionally he goes over the livingroom speed limit and his back end goes down... but it's not daily anymore.

good luck w/ the clippers, let us know if it makes a noticable difference.