Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray Dalmatian in CDN park

catsnatcher-CDN
December 19th, 2005, 09:34 PM
There's a young male dalmatian that is stray in the park across my house in cote-des-neiges. I can see him from my window. I've been trying to catch him for the last hour by foot and by car. He follows my dog all the way to my front door and then takes off again. I tried cookies, I tried ignoring him... he's too scared and takes off. I can't catch him.

He's pure white and he's been dodging cars around the park on cote des neiges! He's very hard to see...I just can't catch him.

catsnatcher-CDN
December 19th, 2005, 10:27 PM
i freakin' caught him! He's in my garage. NO TAGS!

I don't know what I should do. I gave him food and water and I've left my leash on him. Should I tie him overnight? if I let him loose, he may not let me catch him tomorrow... I don't know what I should do.

I left a message at the SPCAmontreal.

catsnatcher-CDN
December 19th, 2005, 10:35 PM
here's his pic. he's also intact.

catsnatcher-CDN
December 19th, 2005, 10:42 PM
and another

Inverness
December 19th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Taking him to the SPCA means that if he is not claimed, he will be adopted unneutered. :(

Will you try and put up posters in your neighbourhood ? Besides not wearing any tags, he looks well kept ?

catsnatcher-CDN
December 19th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I don't have much instincts about dogs but he seems a bit skinny to me. Whenever I say " assis" (sit), he makes this growling noise and reluctantly sits. HE doesn't understand any other words. He seems very scared of me. Everytime I approach him he lifts his paw like youcan see in the picture. His nails are not very very long so they must've been trimed by someone. But his ears are very dirty.

I hate the idea that he isn't fixed and that he has no tag and that although he ran 2 blocks away from the park, he came back to the park an hour later and noone is looking for him.

Inverness
December 19th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Lifting his paw like this really means "don't hurt me" in doggy language, and if you say he's really scared, he might have been handled roughly. However, some dogs will go into panic mode when they are lost and look like this. It's hard to say. If you eventually find the owners, I'd have a big talk with them... :mad: At least he's safe for tonight. You could try and see with the SPCA if they have someone claiming the dog by calling each day this week. And if he's not claimed, then you wouldn't have to leave him there...

catsnatcher-CDN
December 19th, 2005, 11:16 PM
My dog also tried to kill him which is why it was so difficult to catch him. He kept following my dog up my stairs but my dog tried to attack him several times.
I can't keep him here passed tomorrow. I'd love to foster him until his owner or better owner is found but my landlords/in-laws are super mad. It's their garage too. If he's up for adoption at the spca he may find better owners than the ones who gave him no tags.

catsnatcher-CDN
December 20th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Well, the SPCAMONTREAL just picked him up. He's 5 years old. He's very tame. They will call me in three days if he hasn't been picked up or if they see he's too old to be adopted. If someone can find a foster for him, i'll be glad to do what I can. I will crosspost.

Prin
December 20th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Poor doggy! You're so great for working so hard already for this guy. My guess is he comes from a family home that takes care of him but doesn't have the budget to give him good food (hence the ears) and doesn't have the time to train him.

I hope he makes out ok. Just before Christmas too, eh?:(

catsnatcher-CDN
December 20th, 2005, 12:17 AM
I just can't stand it. I hate the fact that i couldn't do anything to keep him here and the fact that he is 5 and not fixed means he's gonna run away again. When the girl from the spca took him away, i just lost it. I know he's so scared. He's gonna be worst off in a cage in a few minutes and it's very hard to accept.

Prin
December 20th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Too bad he's not fixed- if I had found him, he wouldn't have fared well here either. Can't have neutered and not neutered together easily.

You did what you could and it's not like you've washed your hands either. I hope the SPCA keeps in touch with you.:fingerscr

catsnatcher-CDN
December 20th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Thanks Prin,

I gave up trying to catch him twice and kept going back. I'm glad I caught him. But not too happy about where he is now. The SPCA says they will call me if he is to be euthanized. I will have to find a foster for him within the next few days just in case they call me. He can't come back here but I can't just abandon him. He's too tame.

Prin
December 20th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Yeah, and dalmations have it rough already. Most people who get them aren't prepared and just want a disney dog, so they're sort of marked from the start. I know you'll do what you can, but even if they neuter him now, you might have to wait a month or so for the testosterone smell to go away enough to let your doggy tolerate him around...:(

catsnatcher-CDN
December 20th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I'm unfortunately not allowed to have another dog. Well, I mean the dog would have to be worth a divorce and a new appartment. If I could have another pet, I'd already have half a dozen more. I'm gonna try to find him a foster or an adoptive family.

Everytime I walked away, he started to bark and when i'd reappear, he'd stop. Do you think it might be because he was scared or do you think he suffers from separation anxiety. Or can you even tell when is so stressed?

Prin
December 20th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Boo was like that at the SPCA. I think they just don't like to be alone. It's understandable.

You're not allowed a 2nd doggy even as a foster?

catsnatcher-CDN
December 20th, 2005, 12:44 AM
no :sad: and boy did i milk it with Doonesbury. But nothing works. Another dog would mean 5 pets and it's seems I've reached my limit for a 7 1/2.

Prin
December 20th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Aww... That's too bad. :(

poodletalk
December 20th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Poor guy! Why don't you call the Montreal Gazette and place a "found" add in their paper? It's free. Put your phone number, maybe you will find his home, if not, maybe you will find a suitable home for him. Their adoption fee will be getting him out of SPCA Montreal.

Rottielover
December 20th, 2005, 07:56 AM
I am so sorry to say but that poor guy does not stand a chance. If someone thinks about adopting a dog so scared like that from the spca, and he makes the fearful growling noise, he will be returned right away. That dog is too nervous, and from the sounds of it will not do any better with barking dogs, and a cage. I will see if I can find a foster home for him, because there he does not stand a chance.

chico2
December 20th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Catsnatcher,I know the feeling of guilt letting the HS pick up an animal,but in my case an owner was found.
However I think you did more than others,at least he's no more out there in the cold,starving.
Hopefully the owner will be found,but I suppose it's doubtful,being without collar and tags could mean he just lost them.
:fingerscr that someone will be able to help him,it's Christmas,people are supposed to be filled with good will.

catsnatcher-CDN
December 20th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks chico2,
Thanks Rottilover...

He is actually very tame and calm. He would only make the growling noises everytime I returned, but it didn't seem like an aggressive growl. He did bark however but maybe it was just the situation he was in that induced the barking. Once I would touch him, he would stop. He kept pushing his body against my legs and would let me pet him. By the time they picked him up, he was wagging his tail everytime he would see me. I'm scared about his age...Maybe 5 years old is deemed too old for the SPCA.

Poodletalk, I'm skeptical about helping to find the original owner. It really really bothers me that he not only has no tags but that he's 5 years old and not fixed. How responsible could they be?

poodletalk
December 20th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Right now it sounds like his owners aren't good, but sometimes there's situations which are out of there control. They went away for Christmas, someone has suppose to watch him. He got out and ran away without tags etc. If you don't want to find his owners, the poor dog only has three days at the SPCA Montreal. You have to move fast to find another home for him or a foster home. Do you know anyone who would foster him temporarly for you? Would you be willing to pay boarding fees at a kennel for him until you find him a home? If I was you, I would still place a add to see what type of response you get. (Maybe you won't get any) screen the people and maybe you can find a solution for this dog.

catsnatcher-CDN
December 20th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks poodletalk,

I'm doing everything I can for him. I can see how the missing tags could be explained. And I understand how he could have gotten away, he's certainly very fast. I just don't get that he's unneutered at five years old.

poodletalk
December 20th, 2005, 08:59 AM
People don't realize how important it is! We find at the SPCA Monteregie more dogs and cats are coming in unsterilized then it was 5-10 years ago. We need more people like Bob Barker spreading the word every night on TV.

catsnatcher-CDN
December 20th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I just spoke to the SPCA and noone has called for him and he has no chip. But a rescue has been in touch with them and he is safe from euthanasia.

Thank gawd for invisible angels ;)

t.pettet
December 20th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Could you let Dalmation Rescue know about this dog, his location etc. They can be reached at: www.dalrescue.org or (905-458-1883). Thanks for doing your best for this poor dog.

poodletalk
December 20th, 2005, 09:52 AM
That's great news catsnatcher! :) :) :D

t.pettet
December 20th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Sorry, scratch the previous post. Ont. Dalmation Rescue is at: dalrescue@hotmail.com or (416) 653-2411.

mastifflover
December 20th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I would contact either the dal rescue or an all breed rescue. Since he is fearful and unneutered I don't think the spca will take the time and probably do not have the time and resources available to do this with all the dogs and cats that come through there doors. An all breed rescue might be able to help as well. Good luck I hope he finds a new home.

catsnatcher-CDN
December 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM
the owners called the SPCA MONTREAL this morning and the dog was returned home.

poodletalk
December 20th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Did the owners tell the SPCA how she got out without her tags?

catsnatcher-CDN
December 20th, 2005, 03:15 PM
i asked a few questions but they told me that they couldn't give out that info. So i have no idea what happened.

I am comforted by the fact that someone was in fact looking for him first thing in the morning.

chico2
December 20th, 2005, 03:45 PM
That is great news CS,I just hope they will take better care of him from now on,ears,neutering etc...
See,without you,he could still be out there in the cold and who knows what could have happened to him:love:

Prin
December 20th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Ya, maybe losing their doggy right before the holidays might make them appreciate him a little more.:fingerscr I'm glad he got home safely.

coppperbelle
December 20th, 2005, 09:34 PM
He doesn't have a chance of being adopted at the SPCA. He has a few strikes against him, dirty ears, age and being timid. There are so many "perfect" dogs looking for a home that dogs like him don't stand a chance. Don't forget to contact Berger Blanc if you are trying to find his owner. They have the contract in a number of areas in Montreal.

Prin
December 21st, 2005, 12:04 AM
Coppperbelle, the owner already claimed him. It's a sort of happy ending.:)

aussiemedogs
December 23rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
I agree with poodletalk as to how the dog could have ended up getting loose....but I don't think it is fair to pass judgement on the owner(s).

This may have been a stud dog, conformation dog and hence the reason for not neuturing.

I really believe you need all the facts before making remarks. Hopefully this boy will find his home.

I have in the past minded a breeders dogs (never lost one) but should one have gotten out or took off would it be fair to pass judgement on the owner?

This is the 1 thing that bothers me on this forum is the passing of judgment before knowing the full story.

I try to be fair and I may not always be right, but I don't believe in second guessing.

Prin
December 24th, 2005, 01:46 AM
If he was a champion show dog, I don't think they would have let his ears get so infected and dirty... Judges probably don't like that.

catsnatcher-CDN
December 24th, 2005, 04:09 AM
aussiemedogs,

You're right. I am absolutely passing judgement. Coming from a province where saving 1000 dogs doesn't even put a dent in the problem and spending most of my time trying to find homes for the strays in the neighborhood gets very, very frustrating and time consuming and costly.

So when I'm chasing a strange dog for 3 hours by foot and car, a dog twice the size of my own, the day after a major blizzard at 11:30 pm in minus 20 degrees weather in the not so safest neighborhood in the city, I think I can vent all the !@#$ I want.

aussiemedogs
December 24th, 2005, 06:04 AM
I live in the same province as you do.....and I have many times done as you have done...and I do agree that some people arent worthy of having their animals. But I don't agree with slandering people that aren't around to defend 4 themselves either.

Heaven forbid if any of my dogs ever got lost....I would hate to think of the stuff you all would say and it wouldn't be fair to judge me or my pet when you don't know the whole truth. Just think about this: My dogs,

Dog 1- male, very timid, could be a fear biter. thin looking (but is in A+ shape)
What would be posted, male dog, may have been abused. looks like he was starving.

Dog 2- female, spayed has pancreitis, so will get sick if she eats anything out of the ordinary.
What would be posted, female dog, sickly, can't keep food down, sleeps alot, will be vet checked to see how we can help this poor girl.

Dog 3 - Male, alpha dog, very protective, territorial.
What would be posted, Aggressive male needs a firm hand, cannot be placed with children. Or unfortunately we had to pts this boy due to his aggressive behavior. He was unadoptable.

This would not be fair to me or my pets, all of these dogs are rescue dogs, all of these dogs are excellent, and are a great part of my life and I would be devestated if this were ever to happen. Was it because of me the dogs are like this? NO! Dog 1 came to me with this and we have been training since he was 3 months old (he will soon celebrate his 2nd birthday), Dog 2 developed this health problem. Dog 3, This is his nature, this is his breed he also has been in training since he was 3 months old.he will soon celebrate his 2nd birthday. I have been training for over 15 years, sometimes it is not the owners fault.

As for the dirty ears, well have you ever treated a nasty ear infection that just wont go away? And if that is the only thing that is wrong with the dog well then in my books maybe a little education on how to clean ears would be best to tell the owners.

Instead of looking for a problem / blame why not look for a solution?

Education is the first step, I have spoken to so many people this month that have no idea what has been happening to the dogs Up North, the dogs at the SPCA etc...Education is the answer.

As for being cold, wet etc and the hours spent chasing this poor dog, which I am sure everyone has done, congratulations to you for getting him out of the cold.

I am really sorry, but I think of my guys and what would happen if they were ever to get lost and the people that would be trying to help out my guys could actually be holding their fate in their hands because of misinformation.

Prin
December 24th, 2005, 02:22 PM
The thing is, every dog has it's quirks, but you can usually tell if it's coming from a good home or a really, really bad one. Like Boo. If whoever finds him gives him the slightest bit of chicken, he'll get so sick so fast. He'll also react to a lot of stuff like he was beaten, because he was before we got him. But they'll also see he has clean teeth, a shiny coat, clean ears, clipped nails, etc.

Sometimes, neglect is very obvious.