Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Am I Crazy?

Byrd
December 19th, 2005, 05:43 PM
As most of you know I am single, just me and the dog. Well, I think I'm crazy. LOL I am having trouble finding a relationship because I have a dog - I thought men were supposed to like dogs!

Well, I just ended a fling/relationship/dating because he didn't like my dog. Is that crazy? I couldn't let it go any further because what if things did go all the way and he was mean to her... I can't give up my dog for a man.

So, tell me, is this normal behaviour, or am I strange? :crazy:

PetFriendly
December 19th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Before I had my dog, and my current boyfriend, one of the 'make or break' question when I was dating was 'Do you have allergies to animals?

If the answer was yes, that was the end of that.

So no, you're not crazy (or you and I are both crazy!) ;)

Byrd
December 19th, 2005, 05:54 PM
LOL Never thought of that question....must put it on the list. :crazy:

doggy lover
December 19th, 2005, 05:55 PM
I don't trust people that don't like animals, so if they didn't like my dog goodbye Charlie.:D

SchnauzerGirl
December 19th, 2005, 06:08 PM
I know that there has to be a balance between human time and dog time, but in order for a man to be in your life, the man has to understand that a dog has needs and emotions too and you can't just ignore little rover telling you he/she has to go pee or that it needs to be fed, right? I think that is says a lot about the guy - if they cannot tolerate a dog, then how can they be in a meaningful, caring relationship? What does it say if you ever were to have kids with the guy? :confused:

Hmm, maybe I am abnormal too, but what you did sounds perfectly sane to me! :eek:

Byrd, the right guy will come along, just be patient, and be happy that you and your furchild have lots of special time together as dogs lives are so short in comparison to ours....

Byrd
December 19th, 2005, 06:25 PM
So following my gut instinct was the right thing to do.

Good to hear.

Well, the funny thing is, he says that dogs take up too much time and tie you down.... yet he wants kids! :confused:

BMDLuver
December 19th, 2005, 06:26 PM
My friend has a BC that she adopted from me. The BC is extremely bright and has raised her lips and guarded her from several dates. She now has a BF that the dog adores. I told her all along to follow the dogs pointers, they are very good at judging people. I would never have dated let alone married if he hadn't been willing to tolerate my curmudgeon of a spaniel/terrier cross. :D

SchnauzerGirl
December 19th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Sounds like he has a bit of growing up to do, or needs a reality check!?

Byrd
December 19th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Yeah, growing up. He is 41, we both came to the same decision at the same time about the relationship, yet I was waiting to talk to him in person.... he e-mailed me! :rolleyes:

Bushfire2000
December 19th, 2005, 07:07 PM
What a disappointment he must have been.
Love me love my dog has always been my motto.:pawprint: :D :pawprint:

StaceyB
December 19th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Everyone I have ever dated has loved animals. Maybe I just didn't attract ones who didn't.

Frenchy
December 19th, 2005, 08:31 PM
You are not crazy at all!!!Good decision on your part.The best way to find someone who would be better for you is going to the dog park (if available in your area) and start a conversation with men alone with their dogs.They might not be all single,but I'm sure there is a few.I am single and it's getting harder and harder to find someone because of the way I live now;I now live in the country,far from Montreal,have 2 dogs + fosters.But that's what I love to do.The man I will meet must not love dogs,he has to adooooore them!Until then,no biggie,I have great company!Good luck and don't give up,better to be alone than to have bad company.In french;mieux etre seul que mal accompagné.

Byrd
December 19th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Unfortunately we do not have dog parks around here.

There is also the issue of my religion... it is not normal and not easily understood.... so, the guy not only has to love dogs, but must be open minded with religious matters as well.

Ah, I'm in trouble!

Frenchy
December 19th, 2005, 09:14 PM
If it's not too much to ask,what religion are you talking about?I think whatever the religion,when two people love eachother,it's all that mathers,no?

Byrd
December 19th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I am Wiccan.

Yeah, religions shouldn't matter, but most people don't see mine as what it is, they see it as evil, or too eccentric... not nature loving and peaceful like it really is.

twinmommy
December 19th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Just MHO....

Don't change.

You're not weird or "strange".

There is someone out there who will love you for who and what you are.
Just as I'm sure if you met someone who had pets and was of a certain religion--different from Wiccan, let's say--it wouldn't matter.

Well, one day, you'll be perfect for someone just the way you are.

I know it can be lonely, but embrace your "single days" for what they are. Spoil yourself, have fun, and give your dog extra cuddles for weeding out the less desirable dates...;)

Byrd
December 19th, 2005, 10:21 PM
LOL I am enjoying my single life. It's just that several people have stated that I'm weird to give up something for a dog. Non-dog people don't understand how important they are to us.

I know there is someone out there for me, I'm not in a hurry really. I don't want kids, so there is no rush regarding age or anything.

All is well "single and loving it". :thumbs up

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 19th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Actually Byrd I wasnt sure what Wicca was exactly so I looked up on the interenet. Personally I must admit I am not really a spiritual person, but found reading about your religion really interesting. I think if someone has a problem with something they need to educate themselves on it first before dismissing it as not normal. I was raised catholic but dont really practice it now at all, but my mom still asks me almost every week are you going to church, did you go to church today, are you going to church tommorow, you should really go to church, when are you going to church.....

I think if finding someone that likes animals like you do is important to you, then I see no need to compromise. What would you do if you found someone and for some reason Willow didnt like them but you really liked them?

Sounds like an off the wall question but I had to ask as I had a boyfriend way back and my cat hated him, she was the friendliest cat except with him, she would hisss and wouldnt let him anywhere near her and would hisss at him if he went anywhere near me. Anyways the relationship ended but I still think about my boyfriend hating kitty. (sadly when I was first living with my now husband she got out one night and we never found her again :sad:, )

StaceyB
December 20th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Animals seem to be a good judge of character. If they don't like them then maybe you shouldn't either.

Prin
December 20th, 2005, 01:28 AM
I agree with everybody.

JMO, I think people who don't like animals have something missing (except those who had traumatic experiences- I can understand that). But to be mean to a dog? No way!! That guy wouldn't have lasted the day.

And by the way, the question isn't "Are you allergic to dogs?", it's "Are you willing to live with your allergies if you're allergic to dogs?" ;) I got me a good one, but he's allergic. Of course, I can't have cats or more than two dogs, but at least I can have my two doggies (otherwise, I'd be gone already). And I'm still working on the 3rd dog thing.:D

So ya, I think it's normal for a pet owner to react the way you did. Same as a parent. If the twit was mean to your kids and hated them, you'd end it too and nobody would say a word about it...

IMO, better to be single than with a dog-hater.:thumbs up

Byrd
December 20th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Joey's Mom: We need more people like you who educate themselves instead of just listening to what's on T.V.

Thanks for helping me feel not so crazy everyone.

(oh, and for the record, if Willow didn't like someone, that would prove to me that they are a bad person.....especially considering that she loves everyone)

chico2
December 20th, 2005, 09:32 AM
My love for animals,of all species,take up such a large part of my life and I do not think I could feel love and respect for someone who did not feel at least half as much as I do.
So no,you are not crazy and you'll find the right guy,don't compromise hoping the person will change,it usually does not happen.

jawert1
December 20th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I dumped a guy because my horse flat out didn't like him, so basically, if yer not into animals (ESPECIALLY my dogs) buh bye I'm outtie!

Bearsmom
December 20th, 2005, 11:57 AM
One of the reasons I fell in love with my husband was watching how gentle he was with my pets.

As for your religion, if they're not open minded about it, then they're not worth it.

Trust your dog's instincts, I find they're better than human instincts.

PS I too, was once dumped by e mail. Charming, ain't it?

Schwinn
December 20th, 2005, 12:09 PM
I don't really like cats in general (though I adore my mom's, and I have a soft spot for one of my wife's), but I knew that if I wanted to pursue a relationship with Cheryl, I'd have to make an effort. I actually made it up to number two on the totem pole behind one of her cats, until Gracie came along!

We have different views on religion, too. She wanted to go to church, when I asked which one, she asked which one I would be willing to go to, I said Pagan. We don't go to church.

I did join the Church Of Spongebob (http://churchofspongebob.tripod.com/about.html). She told me I'm going to hell. I said, "No, I'm going to a pineapple under the sea!"

We don't talk about religion much anymore...

Frenchy
December 20th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I'M so glad I asked!I had to look it up on the internet,this is the first time I ever heard about Wicca.Pretty cool.I'm not religious at all,in fact I don't believe in anything,but I respect everybody's religions and love to hear about it.I find that all the religion has something good to offer.Hang in there and for the new year;I wish you a man that loves you,your dog and your religion.

Byrd
December 20th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks again everyone for confirming that I'm not crazy....LOL.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 20th, 2005, 08:41 PM
YOu might not be crazy but I am sort of wondering about Schwinn though.

I did join the Church Of Spongebob (http://churchofspongebob.tripod.com/about.html). She told me I'm going to hell. I said, "No, I'm going to a pineapple under the sea

Byrd
December 20th, 2005, 08:51 PM
I think that's rather cool actually. :crazy:

vfrohloff
December 21st, 2005, 08:28 PM
When I met my DH he wasn't too sure about cats. He was a dog person but had never had a cat and he didn't think he liked them. However, he is not the kind of person to be mean to anything living and I thought the cats might grow on him so I decided to give the relationship a try. After a few months I still wasn't sure how he felt about the cats until I came home one day and looked in the open window. He was cuddling Geisha like a baby (her favorite position) and talking to her in that voice that all of us pet lovers talk to our animals in. I could hear her purring and she was stroking her paw on the side of his face like she used to do to me all the time. I knew then that I loved this man and that my cats loved him too. Sadly, Geisha died of cancer 4 years ago, but I will always remember how much she taught me in life. She helped me choose the love of my life. So, no you are not crazy.

joanna
December 24th, 2005, 01:36 PM
No you're not crazy

When my DH and I got married last year, I made him swear and sign a contract (a stupid one I just typed up) saying he would be responsible for my dog and take care of her, provide for her, and not send her to a shelter if god forbid anything happened to me.

LOL. He signed it and asked, "Uh, do we need a witness?"

Unfortunately, she died three months ago.
But DH actually paid for her medical bills and for her burial in a beautiful pet cemetary. I am forever grateful for his gestures.

twodogsandacat
December 24th, 2005, 02:09 PM
There are a ton of online sites for singles to meet. Some are focused around a common interest. Many focus on those with pets http://www.datemypet.com/ for example is just one and when I clicked on the link my first thought was “ Wow that blonde is hot”. :highfive:

I don’t use dating sites but I know a number of people that I was very surprised to find out did and they did so very successfully too. It may not be the answer for you but it does show that you certainly aren’t crazy for having a love me love my pet mentality.

twodogsandacat
December 24th, 2005, 02:12 PM
And after checking out her profile.....she sounds pretty nice too for some guy that doesn't want kids. That's a deal breaker for a lot of people but hey it beats finding that out a year into a relationship. See how online dating can save you time?

Time to close the link and clear my cookies.

Byrd
December 24th, 2005, 04:29 PM
LOL Actually I have used a dating site... I'm on plentyoffish.com I have met a few people. I will have to check that one out.

As far as my dog is concerned, I would like to meet a guy that wouldn't be afraid to discipline her, take her for walks, feet her, etc, but be aware that important decisions (such as if she gets surgery or put down) are left up to me.

LM1313
December 24th, 2005, 11:42 PM
I don't think you're crazy at all. Your dog is part of your life and if the guy didn't respect that or couldn't understand that . . . well, that spells trouble for the future.

And don't feel that being Wiccan is abnormal, I have a TON of internet buddies who are. So it's getting more and more accepted and common. :)

~LM~

Byrd
December 24th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Thanks... but, he did respect that she is a big part of my life (that was determined before we even met), he just doesn't want pets of his own... or didn't like her specifically (she is very hyper).

And I like to usually let people get to know me before springing the religion thing on them... of course, when it comes to relationships that's probably not a good idea (I'm at the point where I just want everything on the table up front... know what I mean?).

mummummum
December 28th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks... but, he did respect that she is a big part of my life (that was determined before we even met), he just doesn't want pets of his own... or didn't like her specifically (she is very hyper).

And I like to usually let people get to know me before springing the religion thing on them... of course, when it comes to relationships that's probably not a good idea (I'm at the point where I just want everything on the table up front... know what I mean?).

You bet I do ! I was 3 yr's into a c-in-l relationship when my beloved :evil: announced he had an offer of a job which came with housing but as "animals" weren't welcome would I mind finding someplace for my BABY (Tai, now gone to doggy heaven). I believe my exact words were "Here's your hat, what's your hurry?":D . You've made a good decision for you and your furrkid, don't look back. I'm sure you will find a witch-friendly, womyn-positive, dawg-luvin' hunk o' man - and if you do - find out if he has an older brother for me!! :fingerscr
But seriously, it is tough - with dawgs (I have 3 big 'uns) there is very little down time for us Mums and spare cash - ummm, can you say Vet Bills, Dog Walker, Groomer ? Maybe Schwinn could start up his own "Love My Dawgs, Accept my Witchiness or Get Out" online dating service for us?:rolleyes:

Byrd
December 28th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Hey, I like the idea of that dating service!

um...c-in-l relationship?

glasslass
December 28th, 2005, 10:37 PM
I can't resist. Old members, bear with me because I've shown this photo of hubby before. When we were going together, he swore he'd never sleep with a dog! I knew he'd come around!

Prin
December 28th, 2005, 10:47 PM
You can never show a pic of a man sleeping with a doggy enough.

My man said his dogs would never be allowed on the sofa because they would just coat it with allergens...:D

mummummum
December 28th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Hey, I like the idea of that dating service!

um...c-in-l relationship?

Common-in-Law aka common-law or in my case, just plain common ... garden snake that is. Okay Schwinn - we've been tormented by TWO pix of gorgeous dogs and their men -enuf's enuf. We want our online dating witchy-waggy website and we want it NOW ! :D

Schwinn
December 29th, 2005, 12:21 PM
My man said his dogs would never be allowed on the sofa because they would just coat it with allergens...:D

Well, technically, the pooch isn't sleeping on the couch.

As for the website, we'll have to see once I finally get my mountain bike site up and running if I can get some pagan and wiccan bikers for y'all in the singles forum!

(Can't you just cast a spell or sumtin? *ducks*

Lise
December 29th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I used to say my dogs were better judges of people than me(especially men)My old girl Gypsy loved Daniel at first sight,even though he wasn't a dog fanatic.We've been together almost nine years.Four years ago we built a kennel,last summer he fenced for our horses(he goes in for hernia sugery next month,result of digging fence posts for horses he doesn't ride)He understood when we bought our new couch that the matching love seat was dog space!!And he dug a grave through for feet of clay and rock when I lost Gypsy last year.Love me love my dog,cat,rat,horse etc!

Byrd
December 29th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Oh, right, duh.... common law.

So, Mum, are you a witchy womyn too?

I am jealous of all you that have doggy lovin' men.

Frenchy
December 29th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Yep,these conversations are getting very interesting...who do you find a man that loooooves dogs?And the women who owns them????And is there a spell that could help me (either a man or money!!!) I've tried the feng shui stuff but it's not helping!

Frenchy
December 29th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I mean WHERE do you find that man. (the french thing again)

Bushfire2000
December 29th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I love my husband and children!!
But I was a fully functioning adult before we got married.
Byrd I'm sure you will meet the doggiest loving man ever, but you don't need him a woman must be true to herself first dependents second (this includes pets, children and men)

When I met my husband I had a little black dog called Inky. HB knew that Inky was moving in with us and it wasn't a problem in fact Inky preferred HB to me after a while. Inky died eleven years ago.
We didn't get another house dog until Inky'd been gone for over five years. And although HB protests that he's not a dog person. He's followed by all the dogs, he has trouble putting on his boots to leave in the morning because when he bends over he is overwhelmed by dog kisses. And Mavis waits on the step for him every morning.

Take heart good men are out there.:love:
But remember they're nice to have but not necessary to a full and happy life.

Bushfire2000
December 29th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Frenchy, I literally found my man in the bush.

Byrd
December 29th, 2005, 10:05 PM
No, there is no spell... well there is, but it's against the 'rules' to do anything like that.

I know men aren't everything... but nice to have around for lifting heavy things and stuff.... LOL

Frenchy
December 29th, 2005, 10:15 PM
I guess I was just asking because were having lot's of ice pellet rain lately and it's very slippery,it's getting pretty hard to get out the trash on the side of the road! (sorry,that was mean...)

Schwinn
December 30th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I know men aren't everything... but nice to have around for lifting heavy things and stuff.... LOL

It's funny you say that. I've told Cheryl that if something ever happens to me, I'm going to come back as a ghost expecting to see the floor covered in boxes and everything over 10 lbs, and all the pictures sitting against the wall, not hung.

Byrd
December 30th, 2005, 04:34 PM
LOL I am a tomboy, but I can't lift really heavy things. Ten pounds is nothing, hanging pictures is nothing! LOL

mummummum
December 30th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Oh, right, duh.... common law.

So, Mum, are you a witchy womyn too?

I am jealous of all you that have doggy lovin' men.

Yes Byrd I am - Witches Untie ! (just a little knot magick humour there :rolleyes: ).

As for you Schwinn - got news for ya baby - a decent pulley system, a little leverage gizmo and well, as the old song goes "Anything you can do, I can do better..." - Yikes - what is it with me and showtunes 2nite ?!?

And Byrd, you cast your OWN circle - cast your own spell silly-dilly! Rules ? Bah ! Ethics yes, moral code yes. Omnia in arte magica est. (All is in the magic.)

Now, where was I...oh yes MEN. Sigh...it's been so long I can't remember why I'm sighing. I looked at a few on-line dating websites - some of these guys are scarrrrrryyyy-yeeeeeek. Definitely "I'm 45 years old living in the basement of my parent's house taking this picture on the webcam under bad flourescent lighting" pix. Dog parks ? Where I live - all married and/or gay. At the grocery store, men take one look at my shopping cart overflowing with beef hearts, chicken livers, tongue and back slowwwwwllllyyyy away from the clearly disturbed carnivore (but, no, hey really I'm a veg - really...see the organic lettuce in the basket ?!?). Men...sigh.

Byrd
December 31st, 2005, 12:10 AM
Well, I know about the OWN circle stuff, but the rule of threes petrifies me so I will never do a spell on anyone without their permission.

Too bad you are all the way in Toronto... we could go with our furkids to some local witchy gathering (there is a group here called Durham Pagans), and pick up a couple of nice Witchy men with furkids of their own! *Sigh* if only.

Plentyoffish.com is not too bad of a site, I really, really screen them before I'll meet... well, so far I've only met one in person (happens to be the one that this thread is about), nice guy, too bad about the anti-pet thing.

mummummum
December 31st, 2005, 12:54 AM
Well, I know about the OWN circle stuff, but the rule of threes petrifies me so I will never do a spell on anyone without their permission.

Too bad you are all the way in Toronto... we could go with our furkids to some local witchy gathering (there is a group here called Durham Pagans), and pick up a couple of nice Witchy men with furkids of their own! *Sigh* if only.

Plentyoffish.com is not too bad of a site, I really, really screen them before I'll meet... well, so far I've only met one in person (happens to be the one that this thread is about), nice guy, too bad about the anti-pet thing.

Oops, no dearest - I meant that you should work a spell for you. Ah, me - it's a wonder I haven't started a couple o' world wars with my miscommunicating...
Oddly enough, I was just going to toddle off to bed with The Boy (it's his turn 2nite -oh lucky me, 127 lb's of panting, hot, hairy bed hogginess - ah, hell who needs men when ya got dawgs !) when I thought I'll just check out that Date My Pets and Plenty O' Fish website thing - yeeps:eek: !!! Kinda slim pickin's I gotta tell ya. Go ahead key in 44+, 200 k's of downtown TO and see what's waitin' out there ta gitchya. :eek: Get into bed Boy-Boy, Mummy's scared ! :crazy:

Byrd
December 31st, 2005, 01:28 AM
LOL yeah, slim pickings for sure!!! I think I have practically exhausted my resourses in this area.

Byrd
January 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Found one!!!!!

Byrd
January 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Found one!!!!!

Frenchy
January 17th, 2006, 12:05 PM
More details please!

Bushfire2000
January 17th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Hey good going!

Lots of details please.

Where did you find him?

Byrd
January 17th, 2006, 05:29 PM
LOL Eager beavers! :p

Found him at plentyoffish.com He contacted me just to make a comment about my profile (I mention how rude people are at the site not returning e-mails), he didn't expect a response (I always respond even if not interested) and we started talking and joking around, found out that we have a lot in common. He's not drop dead or anything, but he has a really cute personality. We chatted on MSN for six hours last night (not to mention about that the night before too) and for a bit on the phone....smmmooooooth voice, nice, genuine laugh. We won't meet in person for a bit (his "rule" actually), but that's okay with me, because I like to take it slow too.

So, all in all there are only two minor problems so far.... he smokes (is quiting soon though) and lives in Newmarket (which is over an hour away). But, the good outweighs the bad, he loves dogs, worships nature over a god, knows what Wicca is and understands the good points of it, knows what Flyball is, we have the same sense of humour so tend to joke back and fourth easily, and, most importantly, I haven't found any points to not trust yet! :D

Frenchy
January 17th, 2006, 06:27 PM
HOoowooo!Good for you Byrd.I am really happy for you.

Byrd
January 17th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks!

He said tonight that he can't wait to play fetch with Willow and if I'm offended that I'm being seduced by some guy just so he can get to my dog. :p LOL luckily we do have the same sense of humour so I don't take offense to things like that. LOL

Bushfire2000
January 17th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Oh yah, got to watch out for those "love your dog love you guys"
Joking, he sounds like he might be a keeper. Good for you and an hour isn't that far.

mummummum
January 17th, 2006, 11:03 PM
:crazy: Good for you Byrd.. and hopefully good for Willow !:fingerscr But, you need to keep the rest of us posted on all the sordid little details ! :eek: Okay, okay maybe not ALL the details ...okay then...just the fetch and flyball stuff (deep sigh...) :clown:

Byrd
January 17th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I know an hour isn't too bad.

Well, so far so good, may be a keeper, guess we will see.

glasslass
January 17th, 2006, 11:59 PM
:crazy: Good for you Byrd.. and hopefully good for Willow !:fingerscr But, you need to keep the rest of us posted on all the sordid little details ! :eek: Okay, okay maybe not ALL the details ...okay then...just the fetch and flyball stuff (deep sigh...) :clown:

NO! NO! NO! ALL the details! ALL! Love a good romance novel! See? When you stop looking and trying, it just happens!

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Is it an hour in rush hour or an hour when the highways are free?

I'm kidding! :clown: I hope it continues to go well... And if you marry him, be sure to get a prenup about the animals.;)

Byrd
January 18th, 2006, 09:02 AM
LOL Nope won't give ALL the details.

Um... an hour in clear traffic... or backroads.

mummummum
January 21st, 2006, 11:56 PM
Four days have gone by and we've heard nothing so...we'll just have to make it up !

"It was a dark and stormy night. When suddenly there was a knock on the door, Willow barked wildly - she knew it was HIM but, Byrd was wearing only her ..."

Okay, your turn.

Byrd
January 22nd, 2006, 12:04 AM
LOL Nothing really to tell. We have not met in person yet, we are both in agreement to give it at least two weeks. Internet dating is not the safest thing, whether your male or female, and we want to get to know each other before being face to face. He says that two weeks is even fast for him, but can't wait any longer than that, neither can I to tell the truth, I want to see him NOW!!!!

At first, with the pics I had, his looks really did nothing for me, but the more we chat, the cuter he gets. :o But, last night he sent more pics, and actually he's not bad at all, kind of has a little Val Kilmer thing going on. :cool: Very lucious lips. :p

We have chatted every night, for hours and hours.... um, last night it was 12, I went to bed at 4:30 a.m. We seem to be getting along really well, have hit it off right away (by the third e-mail actually). So, we will see.

I'm just afraid of getting hurt again. :rolleyes:

jesse's mommy
January 22nd, 2006, 09:59 AM
I'm very happy for you. Just remember, sometimes we have to kiss a lot of frogs to find our prince and you'll never find him unless you take the chance. Just be safe about it and follow your gut instincts on it. If it works out, great, we expect to see all the wedding pictures. If it doesn't, then you can block his email and phone calls (I love technology) and move on to the next frog! I'm sure any one of us can easily threadjack this and tell about our nightmares in the past before we found "the one". But we would never be where we are now if we didn't take the chance. So go for it. What do you have to lose? All experiences in life lead to great memories!!

Byrd
January 22nd, 2006, 10:21 AM
LOL Believe it or not I got a fortune in a fortune cookie that said "One must kiss a few frogs before Prince Charming comes along" I kept it as a reminder. I have had my share of frogs, some very recently ie who this thread originally was about LOL

I do follow my instincts, big time. There is one guy that I have been chatting to for two months, we made plans to meet, but he doesn't want to meet in a public place, says we know each other well enough that I can just common over.... I said "no thanks". He wants it his way or no way, so I stopped talking to him, there is just something there I don't trust. That's just one example of my woes with online dating....LOL There are many, many more losers out there.

Frenchy
January 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
mummummum;too funny,ever wrote a romance novel?(Harlequin) Byrd;jesse's mom is right,maybe he is the right one,if not;NEXT!At least you're out there meeting new people.I wish I could say the same.I'M 35 and been alone for quite some time,I think I'm enjoying it too much!I just don't know where to find that man who will love both of my dogs + accept the fact that foster 1-2 dogs.I'm starting to feel like that old woman that lives alone with lots of pets,you know,when kids are afraid to pass by your house!

glasslass
January 22nd, 2006, 02:42 PM
Sounds like you have good instincts! A guy who doesn't want to meet in public is either married or up to no good. When you do meet, watch the dogs' rapport with him. Dogs are usually pretty good judges of people too.

Byrd
January 22nd, 2006, 03:27 PM
For sure. Unfortunately, he won't be meeting her on the first date as we will likely meet half way and go for dinner or something. Problem is, she likes everyone! Even the last loser.

Byrd
January 28th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Tomorrow is the big day! We are meeting at 1:00.

Better get my beauty rest. :p

I'm so nervous. :o

Frenchy
January 29th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Can't wait to hear the juicy details.....good luck and be carefull,you know the "drill" ; go somewhere public with lots of people ect.....you still don't know if he's 100% normal!

mummummum
January 29th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Hey - I wasn't half-off ... it IS dark a dark and stormy ! Okay what are you wearing ? Got a big zit on your chin yet? Change your clothes four times ? How many showers did ya take ? Is Willow running around in circles trying to figure out why her Mum is frantically throwing clothes around the room and groaning at her self in the mirror? Okay only an hour and half to go. Geesh - now whaddya gonna do? HAVE FUN ! That's WHAT ! :crazy: :love:

Byrd
January 30th, 2006, 05:28 PM
It went well. We get along in person as well as online.

He is kind, gentle, caring, funny, a real gentleman, Willow loves him, and vice versa. It went really, really well.

jesse's mommy
January 30th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Is that it? I was hoping for more juicy details -- you know something spectacular out of a soap opera. :D

Byrd
January 30th, 2006, 09:40 PM
oookay this is viewer sensitive.... rated PG13...

We came back here and spent 7 fun filled nekkid hours... how's that?

doggy lover
January 30th, 2006, 09:52 PM
My sisters work for Harlequin they are always looking for writers. How did the show go on the weekend my friends mom and son went to see it said it was great.

Byrd
January 30th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Are they really? Honestly? I want to get something published soooo bad... wouldn't know where to begin with romance though.

The show was good, I was on my feet all day, pretty achy today. I just handed out flyers to people as they were leaving, nothing major.

mummummum
January 30th, 2006, 11:48 PM
oookay this is viewer sensitive.... rated PG13...

We came back here and spent 7 fun filled nekkid hours... how's that?

:p "They stared hungrily into each others eyes as she thrust the key savagely into the lock> He gently grabbed the handle and said " Wait, I want to remember your face in the moonlight like this...the sweep of your hair, that look in your eyes, the curve of your mouth." She could bear it no longer, her bosom heaving with anticipation she breathlessly flung the door open wide, looked deep into his eyes and said "Willow honey, wanna go out for a pee ?" ;)

Now that my friends is Harlequinn meets pets.ca !

Seriously Byrd - I'm SO happy it went well. We look forward to future installments. Who knows maybe we'll even see a pic of Willow snuggled up with P-BF someday soon!:love:

Byrd
January 31st, 2006, 08:50 AM
OMG That's so funny! :crazy:

Byrd
February 20th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Just an update.... he passed the friend test, had a little get together the other night. Got told things like "he's a keeper," "you two are so cute together," "you look like you've been together for years," "He really loves Willow, and she loves him back," and the ever popular "He's so funny!".

LOL

He also told me the other day that he's a lucky man, I think it's the other way around. ;)

cpietra16
February 20th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Cloud 9 material...I say:D

jesse's mommy
February 20th, 2006, 09:49 PM
WOOHOO!!!! :love:

Byrd
February 20th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I think I'll keep him!

Prin
February 20th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I haven't been in here in a while, but it looks like a happy ending! Or a happy middle... Us old marrieds are living vicariously...:D

glasslass
February 20th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Pictures? Gotta look this one over!

mummummum
February 21st, 2006, 01:43 AM
Yum-yum Byrd yessssss - we want pictures !
(or I just might need to get busy downloading pix manly-man/boy-toys and photoshopping them into your Hallowe'en photo ... hmmmm may not be fit for pets.ca !!):troll:

Frenchy
February 21st, 2006, 09:56 AM
Ah Byrd,I'm really happy for you,you deserve it.

Byrd
February 21st, 2006, 05:08 PM
LOL Well, as they say, looks aren't everything. I failed to tell you all that I am very happy that I got to know him before we actually met in person, think I would have run away if I had not already fallen just a little for him as a person. Honestly, he's not pretty. But, hey, he's sweet, kind, gentle, playful, and most of all he and Willow love each other.

jesse's mommy
February 21st, 2006, 05:15 PM
I thought the inside was the most important part of a relationship. Jim said to me the other day "Looks fade. Where would we be in 50 years without our friendship?" He said, "I enjoy being with you and I have fun being around you and that's more important than anything." I thought that was sweet. It really made me realize he truly loves me for me! It's so much better to fall for someone for what they have inside instead of the only foundation of a relationship is looks. I'm so happy for you.

SchnauzerGirl
February 21st, 2006, 07:01 PM
I am so glad to hear that you have met someone Byrd! Looks aren't everything, that is soooo true.

One of the major loves of my life wasn't a looker either (we were often called beauty and the beast) but I fell really hard for him because of his personality. He was the sexiest, most beautiful person that I have ever known because of his wonderful personality. It was a major long distance relationship in the end, and we eventually drifted apart because he changed from the person I fell in love with.

You are so lucky! Good luck!

Byrd
February 21st, 2006, 08:15 PM
So true, so true... but, what do you say when he says "you're so beautiful" how do you comment back? He's great and I do make comments like "your eyes are so incredibly blue, I love them" etc, but I mean in general.

The long distance thing is working for me, no obligation to see each other all the time, we make the most of when we do see each other. I wasn't really looking for a relationship, but yet wanted someone to share things with, so I honestly think that this is likely the best situation for me.