Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Christmas Birthday

Shamrock
December 19th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I stopped by the home of one of my adult nephews yesterday, with a birthday gift and card for him. He was happy about this, but not overall in good spirits.. and was griping about having a birthday so close to Christmas... Everyone mostly ignores it.. or lumps it in with the big day, he said.

I'd no idea he'd always felt "shorted out' in some way. I could see for kids where this might be an issue.. but he IS an adult now;) Guess it's been a pet peeve.

To be born right on Christmas Day would be a very special and unique honour, I'd always considered.
For those of you who celebrate a Christmas or close- to Christmas birthday... do you find your special celebration gets lost or forgotten by others?

jawert1
December 19th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Hey Shamrock, my birthday is 12/24 and I have to admit, despite my parents best efforts, I still always felt slighted. It's especially tough when one has a sibling that has a normal birthday, my parents could always afford to spend 2x as much on my brother since they weren't buying tons of presents for Christmas. I have to admit that since I've gotten older, my closest friends have gone WAY out of their way to make the 24th a "Princess Jenny day", so I've learned to let it go (mostly :P )

chico2
December 19th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Shamrock,we are having our 40th wedding-anniversary dec 23,my birthday is Jan 11th and often over the years,I'll get one big present for all three events:eek:
But I am beyond caring about presents,give me a box of Turtles and I am happy:thumbs up

Shamrock
December 19th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Jawert, yes.. I can understand how this could become a sensitive issue.
I'd not considered how the "money" angle could play into this. Growing up and always receiving less than siblings - money tight at the time of your special day.
I guess that's how my nephew's always felt. I just never heard him express it before. But things from childhood DO often follow us into adulthood.

And regardless of age.. we all "do' like to have acknowledgement, whether June or December.
So, I hope your "Princess Jenny day is a fabulous one!

Chico, I am the same way with gifts...only I hate Turtles. Purdy's Chocs are yummy however.:)

jawert1
December 19th, 2005, 04:43 PM
hehe last year on Princess Jenny day, my dearest friend got me 3 BIG cans of Tim Horton's and a box of Cadbury Snoflake. Let's just say all bitterness melted faster than flake ;-)

joeysmama
December 19th, 2005, 06:08 PM
My cousins birthday is Dec. 24th. She said that she loved it growing up. My aunt always made sure she set aside Christmas eve afternoon to celebrate.

But she said that now that she's a grown up with kids of her own she feels as though it's more lost in the suffle. You can't just get a sitter and go to dinner with your husband on Christmas Eve you know?

I think when her kids are older she'll like it again, but right now I think she feels a little cheated.

My birthday is on November 30th and if I got to pick any day of the year for my B'day I would pick that one. It's right after Thanksgiving (here in the states) and feels like the kick off to the holiday season for me. Very festive. I love it !!

Prin
December 19th, 2005, 11:32 PM
My dad's is the 30th and he always half-jokingly complained that it got lumped in. We sort of suspect he wasn't joking, so no matter what, we show up on the 30th for his birthday...

My birthday is very close to father's day (sometimes it's on father's day) and I have felt very slighted by that. One year I made a cake for father's day and it ended up being my own birthday cake because nobody thought to bring one.:sad:

Schwinn
December 20th, 2005, 10:50 AM
My birthday isn't at Christmas, but the week before my anniversary. My wife picked the wedding day, and with my usual computer like quickness, a few months later I realized it was one week after my birthday, to the day. "Hey! You're going to screw me out of a birthday present!!" "No, you'll get a bigger present for both days". "No, I won't! That NEVER happens! I'll be like the poor kids who have thier birthdays on Christmas! Sure, they SAY you get twice the gift, but you don't. If you spread it out over the two days, it's really, like, 1/3 the gift. So really, you're only getting 2/3 of what you would get if you had a birthday during a lull in gift-giving times."

She says I frighten her, sometimes...

papillonmama
December 20th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Just noticed this thread, I was indeed born on Christmas Day. Growing up, it stank. When I was little and used to ask for them, birthday parties were out, because my friends went away or were too busy spending time with their family, admirable, but stinky for me. I did have a birthday party one year, so that was nice, but for me, birthday party and kid, they'e synonymous, just kinda go together, ya know? Oh well. I'm 25 this year, so I suck it up and deal with it. It sometimes does stink still, often my family will forget it's my birthday, until my mum starts wondering why there is a cake in the freezer, then comes out of the kitchen and wishes me a happy birthday. On the plus, this means that visiting relatives will look for a card in the house and stuff some money in it.
When I was younger, my friends took me out for a Christmas dinner, that really made my day. We found one of the only restaraunts open and enjoyed all the tasty treats we could. Oh, and when I turned 21 my sister took me to a dingy bar, because it was the only one that was open, so my right-of-passage was actually kind of yuchy, but it was still pretty fun.
I'm an easy going kind of person, not everyone is though. Even though these things are long past, I still remember a few instances where I was like, "Hey, It's My birthday, how come they get all the boss presents?" Really that's just being a kid.
I did always wish my birthday was in the summer, but now that I'm older, it really doesn't matter. I really like seeing my kids having fun. Who wants to get older anyways? I'll just pretend I don't have a birthday;) and everyone can continue to enjoy Christmas.