Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Convince me not to get another cat!

vfrohloff
December 19th, 2005, 11:30 AM
AAAAARGH. I am such a sucker for animals. Here's the story. I currently have 2 dogs and 5 cats. My DH does not want more pets, especially not cats, he thinks we have enough critters as it is. So, I was at the vet last week picking up some stocking stuffers and there was this cat in a cage waiting to be adopted. His name is Benson and he's a 7 year old male. I asked about him and apparently he was adopted as a kitten, lived with his family for 7 years and then one day they just decided they didn't want him anymore. They got a dog and Benson didn't get along with the dog so they basically just dropped him off at the vets. He's been there for about 3 weeks now and he's so sweet, I just feel so bad for him. The vet told me that they will waive the adoption fee if I want him because they just want to see him go to a good home. I am really torn up about this. I don't need another pet, and DH is really against it, but I feel so bad for this poor kitty. I also know that there aren't many people who will adopt an older cat. I phoned this morning and told the vet that I just can't adopt him, but I still feel really conflicted about it. I told them not to put him down, if it comes to that point I will take him and they said they would try to adopt him out for a while longer. On the one hand I don't want more pets, but on the other hand if I have 5 cats, what's one more, KWIM? Any advice for me?

jawert1
December 19th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I would recommend reaching out to your nearest no kill shelter or rescue organisation to come get him so he can be adopted out in that manner. If they can't take him immediately, then perhaps you can foster him for a short time until they can? At least then you know he's being looked after until a rescue can adopt him out, and he's got plenty of time to work on your DH :)

cpietra16
December 19th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Well you can foster him for awhile until he is adopted, that way you don't feel guilty, DH knows its only for awhile, cats in good hands....and everyone is happy. I am not a good person to give advice, I am a sucker too. I can't stand to see any animal without love. I have 3 cats, a dog and about to have 2 foster cats coming on wednesday...again I am a sucker, but it makes me feel good:D to know that I can help at least a few at a time.
My hubby new that about me before we got married and I told him that change is good; but I will never change my love of animals..he is still around:D

Inverness
December 19th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure anyone here is good at saying "be reasonable and leave poor Benson in his tiny cage at the vet"... :p

If your cats are not rhino carriers who get sick when they are a little stressed, I'd agree with the "what's one more" part of your message ! :D

Mind you, it might be best if you convince the boyfriend/hubby first... :o

vfrohloff
December 19th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I am just not the fostering kind. I admire people who can do it, but I just can't, I get far too attached. Once a pet is in my front door, it stays for life. They won't put him to sleep at the vet, I told them if it came to that I would take him. He is in a cage right in the waiting room so people see him when they walk in so he has good exposure, but most folks just don't want a 7 year old. My problem is that I have a hard time setting limits. If I adopt Benson, then what's one more after that? There will always be some poor soul in need of a home, and at the moment at least Benson is dry and warm and fed. I think I will leave him for now and see if someone else will take him. Who am I kidding, I'll have a new cat by the end of the week. :rolleyes:

Lucky Rescue
December 19th, 2005, 04:32 PM
They got a dog and Benson didn't get along with the dog so they basically just dropped him off at the vets.

So..had the cat 7 years, get a new pet and the cat is out the door. Lovely. YOu better stay away from the vet, because when the novelty wears off, no doubt the dog will dumped next. How can people be so thoroughly rotten and live with themselves?:mad: I wish them all the bad luck in the world!

I would recommend reaching out to your nearest no kill shelter or rescue organisation to come get him so he can be adopted out in that manner
Sadly, there is ONE no-kill shelter here, and all the rescues are overwhelmed with dumped pets, so there is no place for this guy to go.

vfrohloff, thank you for your kind and generous heart! We LOVE people like you!!!!:thumbs up

vfrohloff
December 20th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Hey Lucky Rescue, I know you! I live in Tres-St-Redempteur, near the Riguad ski hill. I'm sure I've met you before, I work at Mon Village. I agree with you on the rotteness of some people. It just breaks my heart that Benson had what he thought was a forever home and they just dumped him. I was in tears for much of the day yesterday just thinking about it. Soooooo.....after work today I am going to get him. :D DH came home last night and said "Where's Benson?". I said that I didn't get Benson because he was so against it. He said "AW, honey I just give you a hard time about it so you'll feel bad and not make me change the kitty litter for a month! Go and get Benson, it's Christmas after all" YAY!

jawert1
December 20th, 2005, 09:21 AM
YAY!!!!!! Congrats on bringing Benson home and a Merry Christmas to all of you :D I love stories with happy endings!!

Lucky Rescue
December 20th, 2005, 09:37 AM
I'm sure I've met you before, I work at Mon Village.

I've never been to Mon Village, but Debbie has. You probably met her at a Lucky Rescue fund raising dinner there!!:)

Congrats on bringing poor Benson home! Don't forget to post a pic when you get him.

meb999
December 20th, 2005, 11:15 PM
YAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!! Benson is one lucky little fellow!!!

shannonRN
December 21st, 2005, 09:42 AM
Oh man, I am SOOOOO jealous. I wish man would be like that. I am stuck between a rock (my husband) and a hard place (knowing I want to help more animals). Considering we both have to live here, and we already have 4 furries, I pretty much yield to the rock at this point.

But I was getting ready to post that you really need to consider and respect his feelings on the situation, that he doesn't want any more cats. Guess that's beside the point. So glad you were able to help out.

aude_sapere
December 21st, 2005, 12:48 PM
So..had the cat 7 years, get a new pet and the cat is out the door. Lovely. YOu better stay away from the vet, because when the novelty wears off, no doubt the dog will dumped next. How can people be so thoroughly rotten and live with themselves?:mad: I wish them all the bad luck in the world!

I agree with you. I don't understand how they could keep the cat for 7 years and then just dump him. It makes me wonder what sort of care they were giving him during those 7 years.

aude_sapere
December 21st, 2005, 12:52 PM
I am so glad that you brought Benson home to be a part of your family. My cat, Solomon, and my kitten, Alexandra, both salute you. :)

Solomon understands what it is like to be dumped. Almost three years ago his owners moved away and left him behind to fend for himself in the coldest part of our winter. :(

CyberKitten
December 21st, 2005, 02:23 PM
:angel: You are Benson's kitty angel! I am thrilled to hear this news, Good for you!!! What a great Christmas story!

chico2
December 21st, 2005, 04:32 PM
Lucky,lucky Benson:love: To the evil person who dumped him,Santa is certainly not coming to his house:evil:

vfrohloff
December 21st, 2005, 06:46 PM
I agree with you. I don't understand how they could keep the cat for 7 years and then just dump him. It makes me wonder what sort of care they were giving him during those 7 years.

Not very good care I don't think. His coat is dull and flaky and he is rather skinny. I think they had him on yucky food, and the poor guy seems starved for affection. On a positive note, I can't believe how well he is integrating with the rest of the household. I normally wouldn't let the new pet meet the others for a few days at least, but he has been so at ease since he got here that I let him out of his room for a bit. The people who got rid of him said that he didn't get along with their other cat and their dog, IMO that is a crock of BS because I have never seen a cat so laid back in all my life. He has not even so much as hissed at my other cats or my dogs and he's happy and affectionate and sweet. There was no good reason for them to get rid of him. Their loss.