Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

agression in mini schnauzer

jordan2003
October 4th, 2003, 01:07 AM
i have a 15 month old mini female schnauzer. she is usually sweet and loveable but lately she has become very agressive toward people who enter my home some who have known her from a pup. for some reason she does not like them to srand up and walk around. i had another schnauzer a male 2 years ago and he also became agressive to the point of actually biting people seriously. he became so bad we had to have him put down which was devasting for me. i see some of the same in this one. she has never been spanked or mistreated in any way. i was wondering if she should be put on some kind of aniexty drug. my vet does not prescribe those drugs. otherwise she is a very smart dog. i just hate to lose her too. obedience training would not be an option since i have already talked to several trainers about. thanks for any advice or options. please help soon

Lucky Rescue
October 4th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Schnauzers can be very dominant little dogs. My sister-in-law has one who has bitten everyone in the house - NOT because he is vicious, but because the family has allowed him to be alpha in the home, and he thinks he is in charge!

Just wondering, what did the trainers say to you? I've never heard of a trainer who wasn't willing to help.

Here is a great article on how to be in charge. The program is called NILF (Nothing In Life Is Free) and if you stick to it, your dog will come to realize that YOU are in control. You must be consistant and firm. Schnauzers are NOT dogs for people who is not willing to do this.

Alpha Boot Camp (http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/alpha.htm)

Carina
October 4th, 2003, 09:42 PM
The "NILIF" program is great. If you stick with it, it WILL work. And you can surely find a decent trainer in your area, there are many good trainers who will work with aggressive dogs. Check here for APTD trainers:
http://www.apdt.com/

And Schnauzers can definitely be stubborn and aggressive dogs, one of the few dogs I've been bitten by hard enough to draw blood was a little Schnauzer. And I've lived with multiple Rottweilers for about 18 years!

Almost any dog can be retrained to be a well mannered and respectful animal. You could also go to Dogwise.com, they have a ton of books on problem behaviour in dogs. If you're a bit short on funds, there's probably all sorts of resources at your local library too.