Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Female dog is humping like male

doxielover
December 18th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I have an 8mth old mini dacshound and she is always licking and nipping at my arm or legs and trying to hump like a male dog. Anyone know why? I have never had this happen with other dogs.

heather331
December 18th, 2005, 11:47 AM
my dog does this too. i also asked this question and i was assured it was normal...even for a girl, but i was advised that this is a show of dominance that needs to be ended. by humping you she is showing her dominance over you. thats the advicei was given so i am giving it to you now. hopefully they will grow out of it!

Lucky Rescue
December 18th, 2005, 04:32 PM
No big deal. Puppies and young dogs often do this when they get excited.

Let her trail a leash and that way you can correct her and teach her "Off".

Prin
December 18th, 2005, 04:43 PM
my dog does this too. i also asked this question and i was assured it was normal...even for a girl, but i was advised that this is a show of dominance that needs to be ended. by humping you she is showing her dominance over you. thats the advicei was given so i am giving it to you now. hopefully they will grow out of it!
What Heather said.:thumbs up

StaceyB
December 19th, 2005, 07:42 AM
I would not label this behaviour as dominant. Odds are it isn't.

SnowDancer
December 19th, 2005, 09:20 AM
I agree with Stacey, in the case of a mini Dachshund, not necessarily a dominance issue. If a Dachshund is dominant - as my two special Dachshunds were - super Alpha but super benevolent - trust me you would know! I did not have these 2 dogs at the same time - one was the first and the second the last - with easy going Dachshunds as their brothers. We shared the Alpha duties. Have to love the little dolls. My guys did not try to hump me at all - but the babes were sure after them.

Daizy
December 19th, 2005, 09:41 AM
My female toy goes through stages of humping a 12 inch toy basset hound. I have always been told it's dominance.