Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

moldy bread...never fails!

jiorji
December 18th, 2005, 12:58 AM
anyone get problems with this....

I'm not much of a bread eater so the quantity of bread isn't extreme but it's enough to last a whole week. But no matter where I store it...it starts getting bits of mold on it and by the end of the week it's covered in mold. The fridge is even worse. It makes it real hard.

anyone have suggestions?

Prin
December 18th, 2005, 02:05 AM
You couldn't freeze half the loaf and then take it out when the first half is finished? Also check the expiry on them. Sometimes the rack at the store can have loaves with expiry dates that are a day before expiry and others that are a week and a half away and that might help.

jiorji
December 18th, 2005, 06:36 AM
expiry date!!
that might be something i overlooked.

I'm afraid that if I freeze it, when it thaws it'll get all soggy.

maybe I should just buy smaller packages of bread....

BMDLuver
December 18th, 2005, 09:30 AM
We freeze bread all the time and it doesn't get soggy. :)

shannonRN
December 18th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Ditto--especially if you just thaw it as you use it. When I need some, I just nuke what I need, or even pop it in the toaster for a few seconds. No soggy bread. I think if you thaw it while still sealed in the bag it may get soggy though as the ice crystals melt???? maybe.

SnowDancer
December 18th, 2005, 09:49 AM
I freeze bread and buns all the time. Sliced bread is taken out on an as needed basis - does not get soggy. I cut baguette into "reasonable" (large) pieces and freeze and take out an hour before dinner - same with buns. I do recall someone once buying a loaf of white Wonder Bread - that loaf was snow white 2 weeks later - not a pleasant thought. Trick with Baguette is to freeze same day of purchase - even if you plan to eat it next day.

jiorji
December 18th, 2005, 04:45 PM
ok I'm trying freezing next time!

thanks for the suggestions

Prin
December 18th, 2005, 05:07 PM
It only gets soggy if you unfreeze it, refreeze it and then thaw it again. Unless there's hard-core freezer burn, there shouldn't be any ice in the bag. We buy packs of 3 at a time and freeze them all.

Take it out the night before you need it though because when the edges thaw, you won't be able to break off a piece without ripping it apart (to get a piece off, it either has to be totally thawed or totally frozen, not between...).

meb999
December 18th, 2005, 05:16 PM
We buy packs of 3 at a time and freeze them all.

Let me guess....COstco?? I'm also big on buying in bulk and I freeze. I've never had soggy bread. My bf and I don't like the same bread (I like multi-grain, he eats white bread) so I always freeze half of each loaf, and never I've never had a problem when I thawed it out!

Prin
December 19th, 2005, 12:32 AM
LOL Actually no... Loblaws...:D Costco bread sucks.